Confirmed with Link: Connor: 7 years, $7.14M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Great deal. Guess we all wanted to feel we got a bargain, but if this guy plays up to his potential this WILL be a bargain long term. Not only what he's done the last two years, but his last year in NCAA. Connor is the real deal

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If you believed Nylander was an overpayment do you have to accept that Connor is overpaid with similar numbers and pretty much the same contract?

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I would say an overpayment by 500-600k. Would have preferred $6.5 million range. That said it's not that big of an overpayment, if he takes a couple of steps in his game, his contract would look great given the term. Also a very movable contract if needed at that cap amount.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Looks like first intermission at the bathrooms.

Yeah, I wish. :(

giphy.gif

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
If you believed Nylander was an overpayment do you have to accept that Connor is overpaid with similar numbers and pretty much the same contract?
But they're not. Connor signed a year later, has better stats (at worst comparable), signed for 1 more year and didn't miss any games due to his holdout

Reactions: tacogeoff

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
But they're not. Connor signed a year later, has better stats (at worst comparable), signed for 1 more year and didn't miss any games due to his holdout
About as close to the same cap% as you can get. 122 Vs. 123 pts leading into their contracts.

The one year difference is a nice plus on the Connor contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
About as close to the same cap% as you can get. 122 Vs. 123 pts leading into their contracts.

Do you have to factor in the market? Nylander was paid at a time when his comparables were not getting paid as much. As soon as Nylander opened the floodgates what was an overpayment no longer becomes an overpayment it becomes the market if everyone else is getting paid more too.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
If Wheeler plays with Little this year, Little’s stats will be better than an average 2nd line center-problem solved!

Good luck with getting pomo to break up shief and wheeler. It makes way too much sense.

Reactions: Mbraunm

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Good luck with getting pomo to break up shief and wheeler. It makes way too much sense.
If ehlers and laine played north south instead of east west breaking up scheifele and wheeler would happen more often.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Do you have to factor in the market? Nylander was paid at a time when his comparables were not getting paid as much. As soon as Nylander opened the floodgates what was an overpayment no longer becomes an overpayment it becomes the market if everyone else is getting paid more too.
I’ll leave it open ended. I’m not trying to tell people how to feel. I was just thinking us Jet fans (including me) are typically hard on the Leafs. My immediate reaction was to like the Connor contract. But I also did not like the Nylander contract. Then seeing some of the similarities I felt a little conflicted. Not by a ton of money but enough to make me wonder.

What other recent contracts do you think Connor’s contract should be compared to? Depending on the GMs you pick I might feel better or worse about it.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I’ll leave it open ended. I’m not trying to tell people how to feel. I was just thinking us Jet fans (including me) are typically hard on the Leafs. My immediate reaction was to like the Connor contract. But I also did not like the Nylander contract. Then seeing some of the similarities I felt a little conflicted. Not by a ton of money but enough to make me wonder.

What other recent contracts do you think Connor’s contract should be compared to? Depending on the GMs you pick I might feel better or worse about it.
I never thought the Nylander deal was that bad. It's a little more money than Ehlers for a worse player, but taking into account the cap inflation it's reasonable. It was very much in line with his comparables or slightly above, but nothing crazy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't understand this crap about over payment seriously the guy signed to play for the Jets for SEVEN years that's all what really matters.
Please come back in 2 years and tell us about the over payment.
By what I've read the Connor contract is generally seen as a fair contract by most outside observers.

Reactions: Jets 31

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Great deal. Guess we all wanted to feel we got a bargain, but if this guy plays up to his potential this WILL be a bargain long term. Not only what he's done the last two years, but his last year in NCAA. Connor is the real deal

Back to back 30 G seasons is definitely worth 7M/year

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He is listed as a C. If he is not being used there it is even worse. He is being paid to be a C.

47 pts last year, his 2nd in the NHL and he gets 7.15 AAV x 8 years? And he plays a wing? Good grief!

Besides his points, Keller is 257th in WAR for last two seasons, and 299th in Corsica hockey player ratings (recency bias). Pretty underwhelming indeed for that money. (although 7.15 AAV x 8 is a LOT less than 7.15 AAV x 7)

Connor is 128th in WAR, last two seasons, and 87th in Corsica hockey ratings.

Keller is considerably younger though, same age as Laine. Also I guess Keller has had much worse linemates than Connor, so there might be more that is easily seen on stats.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019

Nylander is not a great goalscorer though. I would prefer any of our three young star wingers, as they are all excellent goalscorers.

Reactions: TS Quint

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He got the Keller treatment.
Nice that he wanted a long term deal, looking forward to the season again now that both lost souls are back in the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad