Connaughton; Higgins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daytonian

Nov 6, 2014
Dayton OH
The Jackets put Kevin Connaughton on waivers. Despite a few glaring turnovers earlier this season, he is a serivceable, young, and cheap defender.

In 81 games for the Jackets, he's had 10 goals and 27 points -- and an amazing plus-11 rating! (+11 on the present Jacket team! That's not a misprint!). That's not bad.

Okay. We now have a glut of bodies in the back end. Connaughton's ceiling is not as high as some of the others. Still, here's hoping that he passes through waivers and remains in the system!

Chris Figgins is now available on waivers from Vancouver. Can the Jackets afford his $2+ million cap hit? Is there any room for him on this young team? He can still score.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
no thanks...Higgins costs too much for his little production

there are reasons no team was willing to trade for him even with cap retention

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Gotta get me some of dat. Three points in 25 games with a -12 rating at age 32 in which our team is going to have to shed some cap room for our RFA's. The dude hasn't produced a sub 30 prod in like 3 years.

What do you think?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Jackets put Kevin Connaughton on waivers. Despite a few glaring turnovers earlier this season, he is a serivceable, young, and cheap defender.

In 81 games for the Jackets, he's had 10 goals and 27 points -- and an amazing plus-11 rating! (+11 on the present Jacket team! That's not a misprint!). That's not bad.

Take out the 11 games he played last December (really, just the final 9 of that month but whatever). He scored 5-4-9 that month. The other 70 games? That's 5-13-18. Dude is a 20, maybe 25 point guy over a full season as an "offensive defenseman" and maybe 5-6 of those points will be goals.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Take out the 11 games he played last December (really, just the final 9 of that month but whatever). He scored 5-4-9 that month. The other 70 games? That's 5-13-18. Dude is a 20, maybe 25 point guy over a full season as an "offensive defenseman" and maybe 5-6 of those points will be goals.

You really have to hate those 50-60 minute prod plus players in a 5/6 role.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You really have to hate those 50-60 minute prod plus players in a 5/6 role.

I think the team should have waived Falk and/or Prout before KC. But they added Jones to the top which pushed everyone down.

It's not like Connauton was this amazing offensive Dman. He's below-average to medicore at his job.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Really; so he was below average to mediocre in a 5/6 role? Well I suppose mediocre is average with a negative cogitation.

Was the general consensus among fans (and here) that the blue line was bad and the weak link of the team for most of this season?

We waive one of the players of said blue line and no everyone is up in arms about how good of a player the guy is?

Which is it?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Was the general consensus among fans (and here) that the blue line was bad and the weak link of the team for most of this season?

We waive one of the players of said blue line and no everyone is up in arms about how good of a player the guy is?

Which is it?

Yes, I'm relatively sure that Connauton, Prout and Falk aren't going to back next year and I don't think they have high trade value. So even if we lose them all for nothing, I'm not going to get too concerned about it. I'd rather get something for Connauton, even a 7th round pick, but we got him on waivers and if we lose him on waivers, it's not a real squandering of assets.

As for why him, my guess is Prout has slightly more value at the trade deadline. Big, strong RHD are useful to have around for a playoff-bound team. Not sure why Falk was kept over Connauton, but he is a little cheaper and he is on a two-way contract if they think waiting a bit is better to slide him through waivers.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm simply illustrating that he's not as bad as we make him out to be. I have no real opinion on him staying or not. I think we should keep one of these guys everyone wants to dump as a 7th D next season. I don't care of it's him or Falk.

I really didn't have much of an issue with him playing in the 5/6; although that really isn't going to happen here until we move Tyutin (as an example) or until we have another injury. 5/6 players make more mistakes; that's why they are third pairing.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Okay. We now have a glut of bodies in the back end. Connaughton's ceiling is not as high as some of the others. Still, here's hoping that he passes through waivers and remains in the system!

Chris Figgins is now available on waivers from Vancouver. Can the Jackets afford his $2+ million cap hit? Is there any room for him on this young team? He can still score.

Why would we want him? He isn't better than who we have.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Haha, we've already had the mediocre vs. average discussion! Good one bb

lol, I've just noticed that people throw out mediocre when they don't like the player (or whatever they are discussing) in question. It makes me question how objective they are being.

Frankly I found the waiver claim for #4 it be rather poor asset management. I didn't find it as repulsive as others have. We really beat up our own players when we aren't doing well and prop up anything resembling a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad