Blue Jays Discussion: Confirmed: Vladimir Guerrero Jr is still good at baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It wasn't too long ago Toronto was the laughing stock of pro sports and now we've recently seen a NBA championship, the Leafs consistently make the playoffs and the Jays build a young contender.

Each team has a young MVP type talent in Vladdy, Matthews and Barnes.

Exciting times for Toronto sports fans.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Any thoughts on keeping Kirk out of the DH spot for a bit and throwing someone in the line-up based on matchups? I thought he's looked overmatched on several at bats.
He’s struggling a bit, but he’s a much better hitter than Biggio or Zimmer. If anything, Biggio should be playing the field over Tapia, that guy is useless

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
That was my other option. Take out Kirk and let Biggio DH Zimmer in CF and Springer in RF.

Yeah, I think keeping Kirk in the line-up is still important to catch because I'm not sure how much value the Jays put in Collins or Heineman and I think Kirk's bat will still come around.

But they haven't given Biggio or Zimmer a run yet and I think that putting them in sparingly would be okay in the 8 or 9 spot.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He’s struggling a bit, but he’s a much better hitter than Biggio or Zimmer. If anything, Biggio should be playing the field over Tapia, that guy is useless

Yeah, definitely agree that he's a better hitter. Really the options are limited on the bench.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Ok, time to give Conforto the deal we gave Semien last year. Dump Tapia.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Cole on salute to Vlad Jr.: 'If you had a cap, you'd tip it, too' - TSN.ca

NEW YORK -- Already the face of the upstart Toronto Blue Jays, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. looked the part of a true Maple Leaf on Wednesday night, too.

Guerrero shook off a bloody gash on his right ring finger to hit three home runs against the rival Yankees, including two off ace Gerrit Cole, in Toronto's 6-4 victory.

"Otherworldly hitting," New York manager Aaron Boone said of Guerrero. "One of the best hitters in the world."

The American League MVP runner-up homered off Cole in the first inning, had his hand accidentally spiked on a play at first base in the second, then hammered a line-drive homer off Cole in the third to put Toronto up 3-0. He doubled off Cole in the sixth -- prompting the pitcher to make a show of tipping his cap to the 23-year-old -- then launched a 443-foot leadoff homer against Jonathan Loaisiga in the eighth for a 5-3 lead.

"Did you see his night?" Cole said in his postgame availability when asked about the tip of the cap. "If you had a cap, you'd tip it, too."

It was the second three-homer game of Guerrero's career, matching a career high set last April 27 against Washington.

The Blue Jays have taken two of three from the Yankees with the series finale on Thursday. New York's new lineup has struggled offensively during this season-opening homestand, even drawing some boos from the Yankees faithful.

Reactions: Kurtz

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
With Teo out as well Kirk DHing or catching becomes less of a deal. We have 8 average to above average players healthy so one of Tapia, Zimmer, Collins, Heineman or whoever they call up has to start each game anyway. Kirk DHing and a bad catcher starting, or Kirk catching and Zimmer or Tapia starting isn't that much different.

They just need to get both Biggio and Espinal in there just about every day now that Jansen and Teo are out. Assuming Teo's out for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad