Confidence level in goaltending for upcoming season (23/24)?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d say I’m at like a 4 or 5 outta 10.

I think we still have issues in net. I’ve been looking at the expected save % at NHL Goalie Statistics and we have been pretty trash in that regard over the last 2 seasons. Haven’t really had a goalie that performed well in that stat since Bernier in 19-20 and the eye test kinda backs that up for me.

I think Reimer might be cooked. Hopefully it was just an off year and he can return to what he was 2 years ago. I think there is some opportunity for Lyon, he has some good numbers over a small sample size. Feels like we have not had much luck with those kind of guys so far, but I’m hoping he catches fire.

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I am not very optimistic regarding our goalies. I don't think they are better than who we started last year with. That said, the team should be better, both defensively and offensively, and that should lead to less scoring chances against.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am not very optimistic regarding our goalies. I don't think they are better than who we started last year with. That said, the team should be better, both defensively and offensively, and that should lead to less scoring chances against.
This is what I’m hoping for.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The team should absolutely be better in front of them. But I also think that Lyon might surprise people. Not in the sense that he would push Husso for anything, but that he will have every opportunity to play 25-35 games of respectable NHL hockey. And if he can manage that, I think Husso stands a MUCH better chance of finishing the entire season without running out of gas.

Overall I think I'm about a 6.5 out of 10 for confidence in goaltending this year.

Reactions: cole von cole

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'll say 6.9 out of 10.
Husso is a solid starter, he just got gassed in the last stretch. 32-20-3 record
Alex Lyon proved that he was good in relief of Knight / Bobrovsky last year, I hope he's the backup. 13-8-2 record.
Reimer isn't a great human being, so I'll say I hope he gets a couple of games and gets waived. 1-2-1 record.

Cossa might get one game in there and Lehtemon might too.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Very low confidence. Husso is only good if you can limit him to 60% of the team's games. I predicted he'd flounder once his usage got too high, and that's what happened. So you need someone to spell him for ~35 games. I have little confidence in Reimer is good enough to pull that off. And while Lyon had an amazing showing down the stretch last season, it was as the team's full-time starter in a small window of time. Can he translate that to 30+ games spread over 6 months if he wins the backup position? Huge unknown.

Sure, I hope an improved team in front of these guys can help mitigate the problem, but this goaltending situation could go south real quick.

4 out of 10 confidence level seems appropriate.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm more confident in Husso than the others. He's a good goalie but I think asking him to play more than 45 games is inviting disaster.

Reimer...eh...my hope is he is at least a 0.500 win percentage. Limit his usage to 25 or so games to mitigate this potential disaster.

Lyon is intriguing. If he can play 20-25 games and win 60% of them I think we're in ok.

4.5/10. Reimer really takes it down a notch for me.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
My confidence hinges on:

1. When and how did Husso get hurt last season?
2. How bad was it?
3. Is he healthy now?
4. Can Lyon play 25-30?

If we can't go 2 games 1 game without imploding on that 1 game every time around like we did with Ned early we run the risk of repeating last years usage of Husso.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
My confidence hinges on:

1. When and how did Husso get hurt last season?
2. How bad was it?
3. Is he healthy now?
4. Can Lyon play 25-30?

If we can't go 2 games 1 game without imploding on that 1 game every time around like we did with Ned early we run the risk of repeating last years usage of Husso.

Ville Husso 2022-23 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Ville Husso 2022-23 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

January, March and April were particularly bad. Granted, March and April the team defense was dogshit and our forward group very depleted. Husso wasn't stealing games like he was in October, November and December. Some it felt like he outright gave away.

I don't think they disclosed the type of injury Husso had but I'd imagine a muscle pull/tear/sprain of some type. He was visibly slow moving side to side from January onward.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Slightly more than last year. I have to believe Lyon or Jagoff will be better as a backup than Ned last year. Ned was a horror show and I counted on a loss when he started.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Goalie as good as defense let them be. For example, If Chiarot becomes defensive defansman he will improve our goaltenders statistics big time. Bernier could be very good second goaltender for Red Wings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Goalie as good as defense let them be. For example, If Chiarot becomes defensive defansman he will improve our goaltenders statistics big time. Bernier could be very good second goaltender for Red Wings
And if Veleno becomes Tim Stutzle that will really help our forwards. Doesn't seem likely tho...

Reactions: lilidk

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Husso and Ned both had excellent saves above expected numbers in St. Louis and Carolina respectively.

Then they got to Detroit.

I think the main argument is that that defense was bad enough at points last year, particularly down the stretch, that very few goalies would be able to hang in there. I'm hopeful that this season will look better defensively for both the forwards and the blueline, and as a result we'll see Husso have an easier time maintaining his usual form.

All of this is to say I'm pretty confident in Husso as a good starter if he gets help.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Husso and Ned both had excellent saves above expected numbers in St. Louis and Carolina respectively.

I think the main argument is that that defense was bad enough at points last year, particularly down the stretch, that very few goalies would be able to hang in there. I'm hopeful that this season will look better defensively for both the forwards and the blueline, and as a result we'll see Husso have an easier time maintaining his usual form.

All of this is to say I'm pretty confident in Husso as a good starter if he gets help.
2 years ago I thought we were terrible defensively.

Last year under Lalonde I don’t think we were that bad defensively.

Also isn’t goals/saves against expected supposed to factor this in?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Pretty low confidence we really need a goalie to come out of our system soon.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
League average would be great

When's the last time we had a full season of league average goaltending? Feels like it starts off hot then our goalies (and team in general) completely crash in the second half

Reactions: cole von cole

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'm at a 4, but I agree with you about the D. Poor D isn't helping the cause, and it needs to be better next season. Goals against will depend highly on if Chiarot can get his head out of his ass. Lalonde needs to hammer down on him and make him play a simpler, safer game.

Hopefully Lalonde can figure out the D pairing quickly this season instead of committing Chiarot to a bigger role than he's suited for. I get the awful feeling that he'll start out as the second pair alongside Ghost.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Ville Husso 2022-23 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Ville Husso 2022-23 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

January, March and April were particularly bad. Granted, March and April the team defense was dogshit and our forward group very depleted. Husso wasn't stealing games like he was in October, November and December. Some it felt like he outright gave away.

I don't think they disclosed the type of injury Husso had but I'd imagine a muscle pull/tear/sprain of some type. He was visibly slow moving side to side from January onward.
With that being said, if he plays like he did in Oct, nov, dec for most if not all of the year, then our goaltending would have massive improvement. The forwards that were injured at/after the trade deadline were all forwards that played a two way game, so that hurts the goalies chances.

A full year of this d-corp is a massive improvement to defense and goals scored against:
Walman - Seider
maatta - ghost
holl - chiarot

We won't be fiddling around with seider and chiarot the first 30 games, so that changes those outcomes slightly. Hopefully maatta won't get pneumonia and he will be fine.

Then, we have (at least) 3 centers that play a 200 ft game with (hoping) another two-way player on each line. That helps the goalies out tremendously. Then when you get to the PK, we have a lot of players that can play on those effectively, could even argue that we won't have to have Larkin out there for those anymore so he can be more fresh throughout the game. That'd be nice.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
like a 3 maybe

Husso gets pretty overhyped, he's 28 and still doesn't really have much of an NHL track record but the other 2/3rds of his NHL career other than his one good year in St. Louis has been pretty bad and Reimer and Lyon are nothing of note

one thing I DO have confidence in is that the Wings have built up enough depth at the position that Cossa won't be forced into the NHL due to injuries before spending much time in the AHL and then spend a lot of time going up and down the way Mrazek did

I think that was pretty damaging to Mrazek's development so that's nice to see

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Husso’s save % by month

October - .926 sv% (5 starts)
November - .904 sv% (10 starts)
December - 901 sv % (9 starts)
January - .884 sv % (10 starts)
February - 913 sv% (10 starts)
March -.867 sv % (7 starts)
April - .855 sv% (5 starts)

Was he good for the first 3 months of the season or was he good for the first 5 games of the season?

Reactions: raymond23

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Good queastion. No one is really talking about goaltending.

But my gut feeling is Husso will be steady starter. We will defend better, team defence will be better, less shots against, and Lyon will take the backup role.

Reimer will be waived to GR before season start.

He was statistically the worst goalie at NHL last season, and he has no chance to start any Red Wings games at next season, because our purpose is not to TANK or have losing mentality for ANY GAME, ever AGAIN.

Our mentality is to WIN. Back to old days.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
2 years ago I thought we were terrible defensively.

Last year under Lalonde I don’t think we were that bad defensively.

Also isn’t goals/saves against expected supposed to factor this in?

Oh last year was considerably better. You'll recall Lalonde straight up calling out goaltending last year and he wasn't wrong. His system was a marked improvement and we saw gains early in the season but that regressed as time passed.

And yes it's supposed to factor that in, but these stats are never perfect. They tilt for goalies on better rosters, that's undeniable. The top goalies are usually on playoff teams or have small sample sizes (or one exceptional season). It takes Hasek level play to be on a non-playoff team and put up great stats over multiple years. I'm not sure I've seen a current NHL goalie pull it off?

Husso should have been better, but it was also his first year getting the majority of starts in a difficult situation. I still have hope he can be a decent starter... With help.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh last year was considerably better. You'll recall Lalonde straight up calling out goaltending last year and he wasn't wrong. His system was a marked improvement and we saw gains early in the season but that regressed as time passed.

And yes it's supposed to factor that in, but these stats are never perfect. They tilt for goalies on better rosters, that's undeniable. The top goalies are usually on playoff teams or have small sample sizes (or one exceptional season). It takes Hasek level play to be on a non-playoff team and put up great stats over multiple years. I'm not sure I've seen a current NHL goalie pull it off?

Husso should have been better, but it was also his first year getting the majority of starts in a difficult situation. I still have hope he can be a decent starter... With help.
I don’t know what to make of Husso.

It went from “we might have our long year solution” to “this guy ain’t it” real quick for me.

These guys are not good for my goalie trust issues.

Reactions: raymond23

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Husso playd too much at last season and his level dropped at same time as they started to inform about injuries.

The backup should play more. Whoever it is. Boston model worked really well at last season. They did go 50/50 split with Ullmark and Swayman. Every second game the guy changed. It did result best ever regular season point-record by 136 points.

We don't have to go that way. But still less wear for Husso, will bring us more wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad