Conf . Call with Lombardi, Richards , Kopitar (Kopi -no injury/no surgery)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I have no problem with him staying at home till he has to come back, in fact, I would do the same thing. Home means the world to some people while it's not such a big deal to others. He just has to get his intensity up more than anything else. He needs a mean streak!

After reading his full interview today, it seemed to be (how I took it) more of a mental issue. I think maybe being the best player on the Cup champs looking to repeat for the first time in 15 years was too much. And then when a slump comes, that just adds to it.

And he's a force when he wants to be, size , speed and skill . But maybe just maybe, he's not a 82 game player. Add the Olympics to that next year and by the time the playoffs arrive , he could be fatigued again.

I hope he does take the summer (as he says) to refocus mentally and physically. Start fresh in October. And maybe understand that he's not alone, he' has support on the team, elite players that will take the share of the burden.

He's not going to develop a mean streak...just not his nature.
Unless (LOL) somebody out there can sneak a blood transfusion from Mike Richards into him. That boy has a wicked mean streak, a nasty side...which is very nice.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is pretty shocking to be completely honest. The gaps in performance are simply scary. If he had a proper winger that matched his talent I believe these gaps would cease to exist if not at least be smaller.

Ron*

I heard somewhere he is getting married.

That can be mentally tough on a person, planning the wedding, all the other crap that goes along with it.

It wouldn't be the first time an athlete had to deal with such distractions. Plus he wore that ****ing brace all season long.

I expect him to be his usual self come next season...mid-season slump, but come through in the playoffs as he did last season.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
“This kid came out of nowhere. He’s on the west coast here, and until he scored that goal against St. Louis coming across, people didn’t know who he was. Heck, maybe the other teams didn’t even know who he was,” General Manager Dean Lombardi said. “But this year, one of the byproducts of him and Doughty and Quick, they get circled. Hey, now you’re going to draw the toughest assignments. You’re going to draw Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester on the back end. So just like the team faced different challenges, individuals faced different challenges. Yeah, it was harder on him, just like it was harder on the team.”
-Lombardi http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/09/slump-not-injury-hobbled-kopitar/

I'm sorry, but what a bunch of horse(crap). Who, if not Kopitar, have the opposing teams been circling for the last five+ years? I'm getting increasingly mad about this. I hope that's just Lombardi standing up for his guy because if not then he's only absolving Kopitar of the responsibility for his own poor play.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
He was skating with a knee brace on and was cleared today to remove it and confirmed he won't play with one next season. That is a pretty good indication that he had a banged up knee that prevented him from being as strong as he usually is on his skates.

Agreed... a knee injury that requires a brace hampers mobility - no doubt about that. He'll work on his conditioning (more than a few players had screwed up routines due to the lockout and super-compressed schedule) and be back to his usual tear it up for 30 games, mid-season slump for 35 or so and then back to tearing it up the last part of the season/playoffs self next year. ;)

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
That was more than just a slump for Kopitar. People that were slumping still had more effort than that, he's just GOT TO be denying an injury.

KingKopitar11*

So disappointed in Kopitar. Wow. I don't I know if he pulls the same disappearing act again next season, something must be done. You can't expect a guy who should be starting his prime to be so average.

Train your ass off and get your priorities straight.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
The full conf call interview (from the Mayors Manor) with Kopi, talks about his knee, no surgery, and the mental fatigue he felt (and pressure to succeed) that hindered him this year.
Hopes to refocus over the summer

Reading betweetn the lines, maybe the pressure of being the 'best player' on the cup Champions and all the pressure to be the first in 15 years to repeat was just too much for him.

On any injury slowing him down during the playoffs:

“There is not going to be any surgery necessary. In fact, I just talked to Chris (Kingsley, Kings head trainer) and our doctor today. I can actually get rid of the knee brace too. So, I’m getting back to no discomfort and good strength in my knee. I should be fine. And in regards to being injured during the playoffs, there was really no significant injuries that I suffered. It was normal, just banged up with a few bumps and bruises. That’s about it.â€

On why he wasn’t able to do what he normally does on the ice:

“There’s no secret that we needed more from me, in terns of the production during the post-season. But, I honestly wish I could point the finger at something and do it differently. But, I guess one of the cold streaks came at the wrong time. I’m definitely frustrated because of it. But, that’s the way it goes sometimes. Now, for me, it’s a matter of working mentally and getting prepared for these kinds of moments, but to not search them out for too long and getting out of the slump quicker and not feeling too down.â€

On the weight of the situation:

“Any guy will tell you that you feel a little down. Obviously you’re working hard and the results aren’t coming, so it gets a little frustrating. I think the competitive guy that I am, I want to perform every night. And it just wasn’t going. So, yeah, feeling down was part of that, but a little bit frustration (too). And again, I’m pretty sure it’s not lack of caring or not trying. In fact, sometimes you try even harder and it backfires on you. Maybe that was the case. For me, it’s a matter of evaluation things like that and learning from this for the future and trying to get rid of those slumps and definitely not drag them on too long.â€

On being moved to the third line and if he discussed it with Sutter at the time:

“We talked about it. He said he was going to switch me and Stollie. I was fine with it. During the playoffs it really doesn’t matter who you’re playing with. Darryl was trying to find something to get something going. So, there were definitely no hard feelings. I came out and played hard. That’s all I really can do.â€

On that ‘re-evaluating’ he mentioned and his summer plans:

“It’s going to be pretty much the same routine. There might be a tweak or two here and there. But, it’s not going to be a whole lot different. The last couple of years we’ve played lots of hockey and had fairly long seasons too. So, now it’s maybe a week of recharging and really trying to unwind from all the physical and mental stress that you put on your body over the course of the season. Then, I’ll start working out again and getting ready for next year

I think the worst thing for me is seeing how devastated these guys are after not getting it done. Williams last night and Richards today, both talking like they've failed the team and the fans. Quick lying on the ice looking completely crushed that he didn't save that last goal. Me as a fan, all I can do is watch. Wish you could go give them a pat on the back and tell them well done. They made us proud.

They are a special group of guys. They gave Kings fans something they hadn't seen in franchise history, they gave everything out there to try and do it again. Wish I could've just thrown the puck in the net for them last night :laugh:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for all the transcriptions deeshamrock. Much appreciated!

You're welcome and thanks to you and the other mods for all the yearlong work you do to make this a safe harbor for frustrated couch coaches like us fans....

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
:)
You're welcome and thanks to you and the other mods for all the yearlong work you do to make this a safe harbor for frustrated couch coaches like us fans....

Well said. Go Kings!

I'm not worried about Kopitar guys fundamentally different over the partners,y 6 years. I think he'll be better next year. He's not the type to simply rely on talent.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think the worst thing for me is seeing how devastated these guys are after not getting it done. Williams last night and Richards today, both talking like they've failed the team and the fans. Quick lying on the ice looking completely crushed that he didn't save that last goal. Me as a fan, all I can do is watch. Wish you could go give them a pat on the back and tell them well done. They made us proud.

They are a special group of guys. They gave Kings fans something they hadn't seen in franchise history, they gave everything out there to try and do it again. Wish I could've just thrown the puck in the net for them last night

As a fan, seeing Quick and Richards crushed after a loss and Williams pissed off, I love that. To me that just reeks of leadership. I was glad last night when Patrick ONeal asked Wlliams something to the effect of appreciating what the team accomplished and he shook his head and said that this wasn't what they set out to accomplish, that winning the cuip was and that coming up short left a bitter taste in his mouth

Good for him!
Richards has always been that way, that heart and soul guy , I still get upset when I see that video of him in 2010 post cup in the locker room when some dopey reporter asked 'How much does this hurt' He was choking back tears and barely audible and said 'alot'. he also blamed himself for the loss when Elliott Friedman asked him what happened , that 'the Hawks had 4 lines going and we had 3 (meaning his line) and paused, swallowed real hard and had to regroup and then said' and that's something I'll have to think about all summer'.
I love that heart of a champion...you can't teach that, you either have it or you don't. And shame on Homer for throwing it away No coincidence that the year after he trades MR to the Kings they win a Cup and this year they go WCF while the Flyers play golf again in April.

This team, this very special team , DL has put together mostliy a whole room full of those guys. And he's gonna try to keep as many of them (certainly the leadership group) together.

They'll learn from this and be stronger for it next year (with a new LW we hope!!).

But how can you not love this team?

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
It's just a case of a guy suffering a major injury for a hockey player, coming back much earlier than expected, and then compounded the situation by playing every other day... which is unnatural for a game like hockey. He was not right. He can say he wasn't injured but I am certain he just meant a new injury. There was more at play than a slump. He was digging deep, he just didn't have explosiveness on any part of the ice. He was battled off the puck easy. He just wasn't right.

Like I said from the beginning of the year, NHL should allow the use of gear this last season. Nobody can burst, and add the physical aspects every other night. I said Kopitar would not be right this year once he went down with injury.

PSP

The Resident Pessimist is back
Mar 9, 2005
Lake Forest, CA
I have been out of the area for the vast majority of the season, so I haven't seen many games. That being said, the Kings lost in the Conference Finals....

....and I am the pessimist?

For the record, this is the first time in their history that they have lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

I can live with that ;)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have been out of the area for the vast majority of the season, so I haven't seen many games. That being said, the Kings lost in the Conference Finals....

....and I am the pessimist?

For the record, this is the first time in their history that they have lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

I can live with that ;)

PSP!

Your no pessimist, your a realist.

Hope you get back more next season.

PSP

The Resident Pessimist is back
Mar 9, 2005
Lake Forest, CA
PSP!

Your no pessimist, your a realist.

Hope you get back more next season.

I have been in Tampa, FL for the last 3 months. You would think that there might be some interest with the Lightning here, but.....

There has been a TOTAL of one Kings game on TV here since I arrived. The only game that I was able to watch was last night. Not the result that I wanted, but compared to the performances from the past 30 years, it's hard to be disappointed.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
“This kid came out of nowhere. He’s on the west coast here, and until he scored that goal against St. Louis coming across, people didn’t know who he was. Heck, maybe the other teams didn’t even know who he was,†General Manager Dean Lombardi said. “But this year, one of the byproducts of him and Doughty and Quick, they get circled. Hey, now you’re going to draw the toughest assignments. You’re going to draw Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester on the back end. So just like the team faced different challenges, individuals faced different challenges. Yeah, it was harder on him, just like it was harder on the team.â€
-Lombardi http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/09/slump-not-injury-hobbled-kopitar/

I'm sorry, but what a bunch of horse(crap). Who, if not Kopitar, have the opposing teams been circling for the last five+ years? I'm getting increasingly mad about this. I hope that's just Lombardi standing up for his guy because if not then he's only absolving Kopitar of the responsibility for his own poor play.

Agreed, inexcusable from Kopi. And from those comments it really sounds like Lombardi is sticking up for him. I'm sorry, his play was brutal and he should be held accountable. Richards and Williams shouldn't feel nearly as bad as Kopi should.

Someone please ****ing get him to train with Carter during the off-season. Slovenia is too much of a comfort zone for him and it seems that training there hasn't improved his conditioning. Playing there during the lockout didn't help either. And now he's going to play for them in the Olympics? It shouldn't be allowed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad