Conditioning idea

thedoc1019

Nov 16, 2009
Florida
Well today while I was doing my run across my front yard 18 times(my yard is 100 yards long, big land :naughty::naughty:).I thought what if as I'm sprinting, I switch from forward to backward and go backwards for a bit and then switch back to forward.I figured this would be a great workout for D-Men, like myself,it builds stamina, leg strength, and even helps with the pivoting at top speed, sort of.

Anyone else think this idea is beneficial and can help with hockey?

Try it if your a free runner or someone who runs for hockey conditioning...

mememe000

Dec 31, 2009
Running backwards is a lot different from skating backwards if you ask me. (I play goalkeeper in soccer, so I run backwards a lot. :D ) When you skate backwards, you pretty much use the same muscles as you do when you skate forwards. Skating backwards is mostly techniques in my opinion.

I would spend my time sprinting forwards. Try sprinting for around 1-2 miles.

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
What you described sounds a lot like most agility drills. It isn't necessarily a drill geared towards making your transitions better or your backward skating stronger, but it will help with footwork if you do it enough.

jwitz04

Jan 18, 2011
definately sounds like a good idea for working on your pivoting. for my team any dryland practices one of the warmups we do is sprinting halfway forwards, then finishing the other half backwards

thedoc1019

Nov 16, 2009
Florida
Running backwards is a lot different from skating backwards if you ask me. (I play goalkeeper in soccer, so I run backwards a lot. :D ) When you skate backwards, you pretty much use the same muscles as you do when you skate forwards. Skating backwards is mostly techniques in my opinion.

I would spend my time sprinting forwards. Try sprinting for around 1-2 miles.

I don't see this exercise as being geared towards skating backwards but more of the pivoting part if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad