Concussions thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuron

May 9, 2012
Does anybody believe we can get concussions out of the game completely with better helmets or could impact to the jaw area also cause a concussions therefore the league may need to introduce a completely different looking helmet that extends to neck line?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
BiAb2p2.jpg

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The concussion is caused by the brain hitting the skull, not impacts to the skull.

New helmets are unlikely to do ****.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, no. A different design could dissipate and absorb energy better, and also, depending on the design, protect against different injuries.

In before HandShakeLine's trolling comment about how stupid you are and how you should feel bad.

But yeah, I agree with you.

As for the question at hand, concussions are inevitable. Equipment changes can help, but as the speed of the game continues to increase, it's hard to say how much if will work.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Concussions are inevitable until they remove the following from the game:

ice
walls
opponents
pucks
fighting
movement

JoeKnows

Aug 22, 2013
I'm no expert, but from what I understand helmets today are made to prevent skull fractures and do so pretty well. As mentioned by a few others concussions are from the brain impacting the skull. So my theory is that new helmets will be very similar to current ones externally for skull fractures, but the internal foam will eventually be replaced by a high tech liquid or gel to better slow the momentum of the skull and brain during impacts. Even that won't completely eliminate concussions from the game but I think that'll be the next step. Just my two cents. Also I could see the league requiring full face shields similar to football helmets when they have the visor. I think the league is trending that direction already with the helmet removal penalty during fights and the rookie visor requirements.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Concussion's can never be prevented. Best option is to focus on identifying them so guys sit out and don't have permanent repercussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce