Concussions Avs and all other teams

fanofgoalies98

Jun 25, 2006
Kansas
Why don't the Avalanche and NHL take a stance on concussions? I don't mean make it penalties or suspensions but why isn't the gear getting better?
Why aren't helmets like the M11 by Messier wore by more players?
Shouldn't player safety be up there? I know that players do like certain equipment and such but why hasn't CCM, Reebok and the rest come up with better helmets to protect the players or why haven't the players sought out these items?
As seen with Karlsson in Ottawa after an injury the items seem to pop up and be shown but concussion have been happening so long, I just don't see why players, the league the equipment makers haven't made the stand to protect the players, in all leagues and all ages. Sorry about the rant, been thinking about it for weeks.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Most players just aren't that interested. The NHL will have to mandate these changes if they want to make significant strides in player safety.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Why don't the Avalanche and NHL take a stance on concussions? I don't mean make it penalties or suspensions but why isn't the gear getting better?
I guess I don't understand how those helmets work. Most concussions aren't caused by simply being hit in the head, but by the brain rattling around in the skull when the head snaps back. No helmet is going to prevent that. It can absorb some of the G forces from a hit, but if that head snaps back, it's no better than a normal helmet. Short of a change in mentality and the way the game is played, they will never be removed from the game and can only be minimized at best.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The solution's already out there

southpark011541--525x300.JPG

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Shouldn't player safety be up there? I know that players do like certain equipment and such but why hasn't CCM, Reebok and the rest come up with better helmets to protect the players or why haven't the players sought out these items?
As seen with Karlsson in Ottawa after an injury the items seem to pop up and be shown but concussion have been happening so long, I just don't see why players, the league the equipment makers haven't made the stand to protect the players, in all leagues and all ages. Sorry about the rant, been thinking about it for weeks.

It's a really complicated issue and they ARE coming up with better solutions for protection.

You've also got to understand that a lot of players are going to push back if you tell them they have to wear new helmets with more protection. It's a process, and it isn't so cut and dry as you might think it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad