Concussion resistant helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Tonight I really got my bell rung, I got clipped and did this half flip and my head hit the ice HARD. I didn't get a concussion probably thanks to having my mouthguard, but i've still got a really bad headache.

I was using a CCM 652 helmet.

I can't help but wonder if I was using a different helmet, mabye I wouldn't be having a killer headache right now. I heard the Bauer 8000 is the most protective helmet on the market and while no helmet will stop a concussion, the 8000 will do the best job possible. Any recommendations?

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
The Bauer helmets...more specifically the 5000 and the 8000 are GREAT helmets. I know Van has the 8000...and from what I've heard, it's a great helmet. Like you said, no helmet is concussion proof. But if it were myself personally, and if I had the money to go buy a new helmet, I'd look at either the 5000 or the 8000. After which I'd look at the Itech HC100 Pro. I know a lot of people don't like the looks of them, but they are AMAZINGLY comfortable, and provide excellent protection.

I'm not a huge fan of the CCM's. I've found they seem to sit up on your head, and pop off a little easier than the Bauers or the Itech. That being said, you do have to remember that having a properly fitted helmet(which I'm sure you have, and will likely have again upon purchasing a new one) and wearing it properly (ie - keeping the chin strap done up to just under the jaw) go a long way to improving the safety and protection of it all.

BCCHL inactive

The 8000 is so f'ing comfortable. It has the best ventilation out of any helmet I have ever worn. What I like best about it, is that it is built in a way that you can't wear it improperly. I see many junior and rec players tip their helmets up to get their visor above their eyes, which is a huge risk to injury, and in sanctioned hockey in Canada, will earn you a 10-minute misconduct after one warning.

That said, I am thinking about getting another helmet. Lets be honest, as a referee, I don't risk near the injury I would if I played. The Bauer 8000 is one ugly piece of crap, and I like to look good on the ice. I'll keep the 8000 just incase I decide to play next season. :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They should make a helmet with eyes painted on the top of it to make it look like you've got your head up. ;)

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Whatever your helmet, you should also consider what padding you put in it. I've heard amazing stuff about the gel padding that Maltese Hockey sells. A lot of goalies are using it to reduce the impact of pucks to the head, and I've never heard any of them say anything but good stuff about it.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
I've got the Bauer 5000....and it's probably one of the better helmets I've ever worn. It's not as expensive as the 8000 (obviously) but the difference in quality is not that much.

Go for the 5000.

Crossroads*

I don't think helmets can stop concussions... only if a player gets one when landing on the ice (like what happened to you). Most concussions happen when the brain slams against your skull- which could even occur during an open ice hit when the head (or helmet) makes no contact with the ice.

I could be wrong though.

AgentOrange*

Crossroads said:
I don't think helmets can stop concussions... only if a player gets one when landing on the ice (like what happened to you). Most concussions happen when the brain slams against your skull- which could even occur during an open ice hit when the head (or helmet) makes no contact with the ice.

I could be wrong though.
You should be wearing a helmet at all times. Especially at your poker games!

:joker:

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
There are no concussion-proof helmets. But from what I've heard the old Mission Carbster offered good protection, maybe because it was a one-piece helmet. And there's a helmet called Hefter you could look into as well (see the link), it says on their site that it performs over 35% better than other helmets. And also, remember to get a good mouthguard (Shock Doctor, XLR8 etc) if you don't already have one.

Hefter helmets

XLR8 mouthguards

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Sorta looks like the new Bauers

and yes, Mouthgaurds are essential

Honestly, I've found the best, hands down mouthgaurds are one's you get specifically made for you at the dentist. I know mine was covered by my dental :D

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
Sorta looks like the new Bauers

and yes, Mouthgaurds are essential

Honestly, I've found the best, hands down mouthgaurds are one's you get specifically made for you at the dentist. I know mine was covered by my dental :D
I second this. If you are really serious about preventing concussions, a good mouthgaurd will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad