concerns regarding goals against?

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
I'm just a little concerned over our total lack of keeping the puck out of the net so far this season. I know its early, but with a younger group, and less defensive minded D men, average goaltending, lack luster 1st periods. We are 4-1 and thats a great start, but I never feel like the wins and losses are that meaningful this early in the season, I tend to judge on overall play, I would like to see us tighten up a bit.
What do you guys think? Are we gonna run and gun all season?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Seems like a lot of the goals (aside from a couple IIRC) that are going in are due to deflections or puck luck...there have been very few turnovers but to be honest I'm not too worried...aside from the couple of bad goals Price let in, he's been good at stopping what he should be stopping, can't hate on him or the defense for goals against that are out of their control

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
Price looked really solid in the pre-season, but not as solid since the regular season. Although, there were a lot of goals of deflections, and puck luck like ottawa says. I'm not worried. Price will be back to his usual self sooner or later.

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
I am worried about the goals against, but I'm not worried about Price. He's looking less like a superstar since the season started but only because his Dmen are really struggling. People keep talking about Gilbert, but Weaver's been the biggest liability. The guy is making soft, bonehead plays all over the place. And Subban is not himself. He's making mistakes he wasn't making two years ago which is a problem when he's getting so much ice time in so many situations.

I think the D needs to fix some big communication and coverage problems or we're soon going to see the losses pile up. You just can't keep winning with this kind of loose blue line unless you can score a half dozen goals per game. Who here thinks the Habs have that kind of fire power?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not. We're trying to become a new team. It's going to the time.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Many new players, this is to be expected.

I keep looking at them and finding them much bigger than last year, also faster and with more potential on the 3rd and 4th line. PK and Price will get going at some point, I'm not too worried about that. And the G.A.A will go down. October is also always high in goals, this isn't January hockey: slower and filled with weird artifacts that cause goals.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm just a little concerned over our total lack of keeping the puck out of the net so far this season. I know its early, but with a younger group, and less defensive minded D men, average goaltending, lack luster 1st periods. We are 4-1 and thats a great start, but I never feel like the wins and losses are that meaningful this early in the season, I tend to judge on overall play, I would like to see us tighten up a bit.

To me it's a concern but not a huge one at this point. Price can and will be better, the defense also can be a lot better, basically all new pairs so guys are getting used to each other. Emelin getting used to LH side, Gilbert on a new team plus Subban can play better.

Hey will give up a few more chances, but this looks like a younger and faster team. Guys like Galchenyuk playing more versus Gionta will gve you more offense but short term not as good defensively.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I am loving the record.

Having said that, you have to always try to get better, and GAA is a glaring concern. It is a rare team that can get away with run and gun long term, just ask numerous Leaf teams (yah, I know numerous Oilers teams did it, but we are not the Oilers).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

All new pairings and 2 rookies on D. It's only 5 games...if it was 25 games and not much better then I would be concerned. I only had Habs touch over .500 club by Xmas. Knew be some blueline issues early on. Weaver should be 7th guy maybe...not sure. He's 37 and best feature was heart, usually first feature to wane. Subban with more sure Markov, Gilbert with Emelin?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With the additions up front and the blue-line changing/becoming younger, there will be growing pains. I'm glad we're talking about these struggles now, five games in, rather than at the 30 game mark -- although there is still time for that, I suppose.

I'm not worried about Price. Puck luck and a defense learning from mistakes in the defensive zone will both eventually fade. As long as they continue to out-score the opponent and win, I'm happy.

It would be a little more reassuring if it was actually the Kids making thr mistakes. :help:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's not only Gilbert and Weaver.

There is a big lack of communication between Subban and Emelin in one hand and Markov and Gilbert on the other. They're not understanding each other on the ice.

Also Tinordi and Beaulieu have been making a lot of mistakes defensively. But it's understandable in their case.

I never understand why Bergevin signed Gilbert to play #4 defenseman. We needed a #2 or #3 or a very solid #4. Gilbert is more suited for a bottom pairing role.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd have to say yes, I'm a little worried but it is early and the team is still 4-1. Just weird to see a 4-1 team with more goals against than for.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The D will become more solid as we move forward, but the one game in Tampa makes it look worse than it is.....but it was only one game...

Our 4-1 record masks a few things, but if we were 1-4 with a bunch of 2-1 losses we wouldn't be happy either...

It's an 82 game season guys, most of my concerns are with MT and his decision making not our D....and especially not Price.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
We need to tighten up for sure, but hopefully that will come with time as Gilbert/Markov and Emelin/Subban get used to playing with each other.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
For the time being it isn't a problem. I doubt we continue scoring 3+ goals every night, though. The defense needs to be a lot tighter.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We're only 5 games in... the defense hasn't looked great so far but Emelin and Subban have only played 3 games together, Gilbert has slowly been looking better as the season went on and Beaulieu/Tinordi have been looking better as each game passes as well. If we're struggling defensively 15-20 games in then it'd be time to be concerned, also we've allowed 2.66 goals a game with Emelin in the lineup compared to 5 against a game without him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
27.4 shots per game = Not Good
31.8 shots allowed per game = Not Good
11.8% on the Powerplay = Not Good
76.2% on the Penalty Kill = Not Good
3.60 goals allowed per game = Not Good
1.00 ratio of 5 on 5 = Not Good
46 giveaways =Not Good
92 blocked shot = Not Good (Good in term of character, but not for puck-possession)
25 takeaways = Not Good

It's all that put together that is really starting to be a concern. As others pointed out, we got many goals scored from lucky bounces our way. Having a 4-1-0 record is pretty much incredible if we looked at the numbers.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
27.4 shots per game = Not Good
31.8 shots allowed per game = Not Good
11.8% on the Powerplay = Not Good
76.2% on the Penalty Kill = Not Good
3.60 goals allowed per game = Not Good
1.00 ratio of 5 on 5 = Not Good
46 giveaways =Not Good
92 blocked shot = Not Good (Good in term of character, but not for puck-possession)
25 takeaways = Not Good

It's all that put together that is really starting to be a concern. As others pointed out, we got many goals scored from lucky bounces our way. Having a 4-1-0 record is pretty much incredible if we looked at the numbers.

Shooting % good? :sarcasm:

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
If I said I wasn't concerned, I would be lying. That being said, early on this is kind of what I expected from our defense. I'm sure things will fall into place once the new guys get a few more games together.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
There has been a lot of weird bounces that have resulted in goals. Things will settle down.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Yeah... it's concerning that we let so many goals, but then again it's only been 5 games. I wouldn't have expected the habs to be on top of their game right at the beginning of the season.

I guess I'm happy that even despite this poor defensive showing from the team, we're 4-1... That can't be bad :)

Jiggernaut

Mar 20, 2006
Stittsville, ON
This is just a classic case of things being magnified because it's the start of the season. We have only 5 games for a sample size.

Go back to last season and you'll find several instances where the Habs gave up a similar amount of goals over a 5 game sample period (and in some instances more) - and they still finished 3rd in the east in GA at the end of the year.

In other words - Relax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad