Conacher: First Game Thoughts

NHL Fanatik*

Isn't first line talent.

Good for the third line though. Id think Isles fans would take Conacher over Bailey anyway.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Doesn't belong on the first line, probably not even in the top 6. He'd be fine as a fourth liner.

Lines should be:
Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Grabovski-Strome
Bailey-Nielsen-Kulemin
Conacher/Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
Its only 1 game and he looked average but average is not something I want on my top line next to one of the best playmakers in the game. Id rather see someone else given a shot on JT's wing. Early in the year I hoped it was Nelson but after last nights performance its hard to break that 2nd line up. Give him some time and reevaluate

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I like coma chef as a player, but not crazy about him on that first line. much rather have a guy with a big body like brock nelson up there

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I don't think he played horrible but I just don't see how he deserves that position. Lee should be on that line, that's all there really is to it. Conacher isn't a first line player, Lee has a lot more upside. The move doesn't make sense to me.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Isn't first line talent.

Good for the third line though. Id think Isles fans would take Conacher over Bailey anyway.

I haven't really focused on Conacher's ability to play defense, so I'm not quick to replace Bailey with him in a 3rd line role. Bailey is a responsible 3rd line player. People don't like his offense because it is spotty, but this team desperately needs competent defensive forwards, which the 3rd line currently (Bailey-Nielsen-Kulemin) is fabulous at. If you move Conacher there, then that changes the dynamic of that line unless Conacher can assume that kind of role (and judging from a history of going to top 6 to waivers leads me to believe he can't).

I'm in the camp that wants more size on JT's left. Although, the league has turned very much into pairs of dominant forwards as opposed to a whole line. Many teams who have two great 1st liners constantly rotate the 3rd player game after game, season after season. It's not so much putting our best forward in that LW spot, but more about finding the right balance for ALL of our lines. I do really like Nelson playing with them as far as matching skills, but Nelson at 2C could be huge for us. And as mentioned before, I like our 3rd line, so I don't want to disrupt much. (I don't even know where Grabner fits and it's probably just he and Bailey fighting for the same role). Which I guess is why I always come back to why Lee isn't in that spot with Conacher in the AHL. Young future with size and scoring ability who will probably be exposed defensively in a 3rd line role. It's almost too perfect and I still think we will see this eventually -- it will work itself there. How weird would it be if our juggled scratch is our 1st line LW? :laugh:

Moosie

Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
I thought he played well. Had two or three shots that easily could have gone in. He's a very skilled player with no size.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Didn't really care for his game, as he was easily rubbed out along the boards and retreated towards the neutral zone early pretty much all night. I like that he's trying to be defensively responsible, but he didn't do much in the area of puck possession and that's what the line needs more of.

Still only one game, willing to see a few more before I make a decision on him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I like him there. His hustle is better than the player not to be named. It's still early but I can already see some glimpses of chemistry appearing. If it continues I don't think anybody will be complaining about Conacher on that line. I'll give him a good judging him for one game. Since I am posting this after seeing a second game as well I will still say he's playing well on that line.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
he looked good last night. yeah, his goal was an "easy" one — but those don't happen without perfect positioning. saying a guy's not a first liner isn't an insult. if he keeps playing like this he can keep a spot in the lineup even when grabner/lee are back.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Didn't really care for his game, as he was easily rubbed out along the boards and retreated towards the neutral zone early pretty much all night. I like that he's trying to be defensively responsible, but he didn't do much in the area of puck possession and that's what the line needs more of.

This is exactly how I feel. Game two roles by and I see more of the same. The positives I see are he keeps up with the play, has a small edge that is fun to watch, is ready positionally in an offensive capacity and is not a giant black hole defensively like Moulson was. The negatives I see are he is physically a non-factor (the anti-Brown), does not provide a reason for the other team to focus on him at all, is easily pushed from the crease (JT opened room for him during his goal), and is too small to stick up for himself which leads to more of a chance that Tavares or Kyle will wind up in the box protecting him. That last piece bothers me quite a lot. I would prefer someone who does the opposite, who can step into a goon on the other club and go so JT and Kyle are both able to jump into the ensuing PP or 4 on 4. I will go with on the fence for now... 8 games to go until poll #2.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think he is what he is. A small, skilled forward that can score with talented players, but has his flaws and is not a long term solution. He's a placeholder for Dal Colle, but better than a lot of other options out there. I'm happy he's here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So far he hasn't looked out of place on the first line. He's already gotten some decent scoring chances. Hopefully he will convert a few more of them.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The jury is still out for me, but so far in the early going, it seems like Cappy is trying to force a square peg into a round hole by having him on the first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00