Conacher: First Game Thoughts

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What did you think of his first official game on the top line? Remember this is one game and even the best or worst players in the league had both bad and good single games.

All I ask is not to mention Lee, Bailey, etc., as I'd like your opinions on what you think they expect from him specifically in this role, and if he met those expectations in the first game.

I was going to bump one of the other threads but I wanted to introduce a poll.

As recommended by ITM I will come back with a ten game pole for comparison's sake.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Conacher is like Grabner on breakaways. He thinks faster than he actually does things. I don't think he's a good fit for the JT line BUT that doesn't mean he can't be a solid depth guy. He wasn't afraid to be physical which is good.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
What did you think of his first official game on the top line? I saw good and bad, and I am not sure he was effective performing the role I believe they want him to, and of course, this is just one game.

I was going to bump one of the other threads but I wanted to introduce a poll.

All I ask is not to mention Lee, Bailey, etc., as I'd like your opinions on what you think they expect from him specifically in this role, and if he met those expectations int he first game.

I think his role is to play quick, make some nice passes, use his speed to be the first guy in on the dump in and set up the offensive play and hustle. His size will usually preclude him from winning board battles. Last night I think he accomplished all of the roles I mentioned. Nothing I complain about.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I thought he was ok. He's not afraid to get dirty. He keeps his feet moving and his speed is also a real asset. There were a couple of times that JT KO and Conacher were buzzing.

He has good hands and looks for seam passes. I don't think he was anywhere as bad as some people.

If anything JT and KO are a little rusty. Ultimately it comes down to the two of them to carry the line. It's not like Conacher missed any easy chances or ruined a play.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I felt like he created some space for Johnny any Okie. He used his speed and at times was going all over the ice. Felt like he made some really nice, subtle passes that generated scoring chances too. Overall, I think he played well and I think it's only going to get better as the season goes on.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
On the fence - big time. Does not look like anything close to a finisher to me. I like more size on JT's left. I do like his speed which is keeping me on the fence - for now.

Put Nelson on JT's left. Grabo at 2nd line center with Kuli and Strome.

Conacher and Bailey fight it out in practice for 3rd line LW rights.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I was against the move but after seeing him don't mind him being out there. I love the way he plays and how he's always skating and being active. With that said I don't think he is a great fit for JT/Okposo. I wouldn't mind him on the third line though.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
On the fence. He didn't do anything I thought was glaringly wrong. But he wasn't amazing either. It'll take a couple games. I still think he has a 10 game tryout in this position. Let's see what he can do, but we better be ready to try something else out if he doesn't work.

Also, I don't want hi moved yet until I see how that second line meshes with more time. They looked really good out there.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Still would rather see Lee there, Conacher on the 3rd line and bailey in Bridgeport, but they seem to be committed to giving him a look up top but i dont think this is going to work out well enough although anyone would look 'pretty okay' next to JT and OK

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Incomplete.

It's going to take more than one game to figure out if Conacher can be useful on the first line. By that I mean, not just 'get by' and put up scoring numbers, I mean actually contribute and work cohesively as a unit with JT and KO.

I'll say this... I like balanced lines and if Conacher CAN be useful on the first line and this allows the Islanders to spread the talent out, then it's a win win. Using Conacher on line 1 and Nelson on line 2 WHILE USING NELSON ON PP1 is EXACTLY what should be done, and glad they did it. I was pleasantly surprised with how Ice time was managed last night in most cases.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I thought he was ok. He's not afraid to get dirty. He keeps his feet moving and his speed is also a real asset. There were a couple of times that JT KO and Conacher were buzzing.

He has good hands and looks for seam passes. I don't think he was anywhere as bad as some people.

If anything JT and KO are a little rusty. Ultimately it comes down to the two of them to carry the line. It's not like Conacher missed any easy chances or ruined a play.

IMO, He was somewhere in between ok and good. Definitely got a passing grade for sure.

As far as expectations go...the coaches gotta expect him to elevate the level of his line mates in some capacity. As well as produce offense. Your playing with two top tier players, you need to be able to produce.

I know its only been one game, but my gut tells me he isn't the right guy for that line. When Grabner gets back, 89 will be gone...

Bailey-JT-KO
Grabo-Nelson-Strome
Grabner-Nielsen-Kule
Lee-Zeekis-Clutt
Conacher/Martin

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Incomplete.

It's going to take more than one game to figure out if Conacher can be useful on the first line. By that I mean, not just 'get by' and put up scoring numbers, I mean actually contribute and work cohesively as a unit with JT and KO.

I'll say this... I like balanced lines and if Conacher CAN be useful on the first line and this allows the Islanders to spread the talent out, then it's a win win. Using Conacher on line 1 and Nelson on line 2 WHILE USING NELSON ON PP1 is EXACTLY what should be done, and glad they did it. I was pleasantly surprised with how Ice time was managed last night in most cases.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

I'm gonna give him more time I'm on the fence but for some reason I just don't think its gonna work out. Hope I'm wrong.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I know its only been one game, but my gut tells me he isn't the right guy for that line. When Grabner gets back, 89 will be gone...

Bailey-JT-KO
Grabo-Nelson-Strome
Grabner-Nielsen-Kule
Lee-Zeekis-Clutt
Conacher/Martin

So Conacher isnt the solution to line 1 but BAILEY is? I'd put the entire 2nd line, Lee, neilsen and grabner with JT before bailey gets his shot. No disrespect, but BAILEY?!

no thank you.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

I'm gonna give him more time I'm on the fence but for some reason I just don't think its gonna work out. Hope I'm wrong.

Because Conacher has had these opportunities before and he's flubbed them. He's just not good enough to hang with the big boys. Maybe he's matured, but chances are slim...

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
It was just one game, he looked adequate. He won't bring the 1st line down nor will he elevate it. Adequate is not something we should strive for.

I know you said don't mention other players but we have about 4 players that are all better options for the top line that could improve it rather than being a filler.

BroadwayJay*

It was just one game, he looked adequate. He won't bring the 1st line down nor will he elevate it.

I know you said don't mention other players but we have about 4 players that are all better options for the top line that could improve it rather than being a filler.

We have seen one game, in which our team only managed a meager five goals.

I'm ready to start lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
So Conacher isnt the solution to line 1 but BAILEY is? I'd put the entire 2nd line, Lee, neilsen and grabner with JT before bailey gets his shot. No disrespect, but BAILEY?!

no thank you.

Yea, I think Bailey is a much better all around player.
Keeps line 2 together and upgrades line 1.

This thread has now officially been de-railed.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
We have seen one game, in which our team only managed a meager five goals.

I'm ready to start lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks.

Conacher if handed the 1st line for 82 games can probably leech 40 or so points while not killing the line. Other alternatives could probably be in the 50+ point range while bringing more to the table on both ends of the rink.

Not pitchfork time yet, but its always fun to talk about lines

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It was just one game, he looked adequate. He won't bring the 1st line down nor will he elevate it. Adequate is not something we should strive for.

In fairness to Conacher I am hoping people will use the same lens to look through as we had to for other wings he's played with when the pickings were slim. On a normal club there are always better choices, but then balance comes into play.

I am just hoping to keep the yardstick a fair one even for biased little ol' me. I won't even vote.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

no thank you.

I'm not saying Bailey is my #1 choice for first line..

Again, I'm not saying Bailey is my #1 choice for first line..

But if you were FORCED to narrow down the options to between Bailey and Conacher, I'd choose Bailey.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So far i dont like what i have been seeing as far as him being our #1 LW...Its been pre season but only 1 reg season game...

as much as I wanted Nelson in that spot, hes probablly the best option for a #2 center and Grabovski and Strome look good with him...

I like Franzy and Kulimen on the 3rd line together...Going to be interesting to see how Bailey does..He better trake advantage of Grabner being out....

i was original against putting Lee on the top LW spot but I think with Nelson being a monster at center thats where Lee needs to be.

Conacher was making a few head scratching decisions...I dont think it was part of the game plan or system because the other lines were not doing it.

Im talking about him joining Tavares and Okposo way down in the corners and leaving his man or side in both zones...In the offensive zone this will lead to many odd man rushes. In the defensive zone this will leave his man open in the slot with all day to shoot.

Hes a fiesty player with some skill and I dont mind having him on the team for depth purposes but I'm still picking Lee ahead of him.

Al Arbour

Aug 18, 2014
New York
BAD, I mean, The first line has not scored a SINGLE goal yet this season!

Seriously, though. I'm on the fence. I feel like he doesn't belong on a first line, but he doesn't look like a liability out there.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
He's too small and his shot is too weak. He's not a bad player but Tavares needs someone who can make room for him.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
He's OK but he will hold back an elite line. The Isles are one top RW away from being a stanley cup contender IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad