Composite Stickhandling Question

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
I recently bought my 1st one-piece stick (Easton Stealth) and in terms of shooting it's done wonders. One thing I've noticed though is that in my stickhandling I struggle to find my usual comfortable zone.

I can still stickhandle pretty well with the stick. On rushes I can dangle the puck and make quick passes, but I find myself losing the puck more often on quick moves such as toe drags etc.

The other day I was playing around in my garage and pulled out an old Branches wood stick and my stickhandling was noticeably quicker than usual.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Also, since I'm not a big equipment geek, are there hybrid blades out there that offer maybe a wood inlay for feel but the lightness of a composite make up?

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Composite blades are pretty hard, and don't absorb the impact as well as good 'ol wood blades. There are hybrid blades out there, I'm using one in my Synergy right now, it's pretty hard. It doesn't feel much different than my old Synergy blade.

I'm never the one catching passes though, so someone else correct where I'm wrong.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Maybe I'm weird but I felt my stick handling improve, but I've only used my composite twice since I just got mine like you. I think it's because of it's light weight that I can move the stick back and forth quicker. Maybe you're not used to the feeling of the puck in the composite stick compared to the puck in the wood stick.

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
Slick said:
Maybe I'm weird but I felt my stick handling improve, but I've only used my composite twice since I just got mine like you. I think it's because of it's light weight that I can move the stick back and forth quicker. Maybe you're not used to the feeling of the puck in the composite stick compared to the puck in the wood stick.

That might be the case if you were using a heavy wood stick. I've never used really heavy sticks in my life, so the transition to all composite wasn't night and day at least in the weight department.

Lot of people say that one-piece composite sticks feel like they're exploding in your hands when you receive a puck. I personally feel like there is a lot of shock as well but don't mind it in terms of passing. But when I stickhandle, it doesn't feel like the puck is coming off my stick smoothly.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
afterhours said:
That might be the case if you were using a heavy wood stick. I've never used really heavy sticks in my life, so the transition to all composite wasn't night and day at least in the weight department.

Lot of people say that one-piece composite sticks feel like they're exploding in your hands when you receive a puck. I personally feel like there is a lot of shock as well but don't mind it in terms of passing. But when I stickhandle, it doesn't feel like the puck is coming off my stick smoothly.

I guess I didn't really think about it, but my Easton wood stick is pretty heavy compared to the composite. That might be the reason.

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
I found my stickhandling with a composite stick to be enormously different for the worse. TPS Rubber is the way to go. I like 2 piece sticks rather than a one piece.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
afterhours said:
I recently bought my 1st one-piece stick (Easton Stealth) and in terms of shooting it's done wonders. One thing I've noticed though is that in my stickhandling I struggle to find my usual comfortable zone.

I can still stickhandle pretty well with the stick. On rushes I can dangle the puck and make quick passes, but I find myself losing the puck more often on quick moves such as toe drags etc.

The other day I was playing around in my garage and pulled out an old Branches wood stick and my stickhandling was noticeably quicker than usual.

Also, since I'm not a big equipment geek, are there hybrid blades out there that offer maybe a wood inlay for feel but the lightness of a composite make up?

I wonder if this isn't due to the blade. I was using a shaft/blade combo with a Thornton curve (real deep mid curve) until I bought my first one piece. My stick handling wasn't as good with the one piece but the curve was a lot different. It was a heel curve and not as deep. The puck would roll off the end of my sitck. But I got used to it. I recently bought another one piece this time with a really deep toe curve and my stick handling is probably better then it's ever been.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
afterhours said:

What you're saying is that puck comes off the push more often. That may be due to difference in weigh of the stick or difference in blade material. I wouldn't buy the stick without trying it first, but if you stuck with it, try to experiment with tape to address the bouncy blade. Difference in weight should be just a matter of time.

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
94now said:
What you're saying is that puck comes off the push more often. That may be due to difference in weigh of the stick or difference in blade material. I wouldn't buy the stick without trying it first, but if you stuck with it, try to experiment with tape to address the bouncy blade. Difference in weight should be just a matter of time.

That may be it. I guess I'll try to experiment with taping.

BigPete

Mar 17, 2006
Arlington, VA
I've noticed a few things about wood blades vice composite blades. For background I used larger new Sherwoods for a long time. They break down pretty quick and start to open up or splinter after about 100 passes (this is just a guesstimate, not actual test data). When they get that first couple of hard passes they open up and create a bad effect for receiving passes. They tend to rebound the pass like a tennis ball coming off a wall, the puck absorbs into the blade then slowly bounds off of it, often making you chase the puck that has bounced away from your stick.

I am now using an Easton Ultra light shaft, with composite blades. These seem to take a puck harder, or so it feels that way in your hands. However there is little to no rebound from the puck hitting the blade. I liken it to a mellon or something hitting the ground when dropped from above. The thing splats against the hard surface. In this case the puck hits the blade and seems to disappate the force better, keeping the puck nestled on your stick.

As for stick handling and shot release, the comp is better in my opinion because there is a more connected feel to the puck. The wood seems to deaden the feeling of the puck on the blade.

I will write anoher assessment once I pick up a full composite stick. I am looking at something from Warrior right now. Should have some experience to share within 4-6 weeks.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
afterhours said:

This is really common and a sacrafice most people make when using an OPS. A way to kind've combine both feel and performance (but definately compensate) is to go with a tapered combo with a wood blade. Easton, TPS, Bauer, Christian and I believe RBK are now producing wood tapered blades so it's definately something you should look into. If you want to keep the weight down on the stick, try and R2 Xn10, excellent performance. Also I've found Inno composite blades (not the checkerboard ones) to have much better feel than any other companies.

KoopsKings

Sep 26, 2004
afterhours said:

Yea i noticed the shock too. I was givin an easton si-core by brad chartrand and i used it for a bit and noticed my hands kinda getting sore. So i left it in the basement and went back to my 2 piece composite.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I found that my stick handling improved, but only because the stick is lighter. It makes it easier for those times when you are at the end of your reach.

But.... I have used a aluminum shaft and composite blade for years, always using the Lindstrom curve and the black Easton blade. I loved the combo. i was convinced to try the higher end blue Easton composite blade (same curve), it sucked. it felt like a piece of cement.

When the OPS thing got hot, I picked up a Nike Apollo witha Lemieux curve. I did not like the curve much, but it was cheap. I started to really like it. Scored on some big big shots. Then the shaft cracked in two on a dump in. Bummer.

I bought a Easton ST grip with the Lindstrom curve (100 flex).... I thought perfect.

Now, 1 outta 4 shots- I wiffle a shot wide of the net. The shaft shakes like twig, and I get nothing on the shot. Really frustrating.

On the other shots, I flys like a rocket... but I miss the consistancy.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
KoopsKings said:
Yea i noticed the shock too. I was givin an easton si-core by brad chartrand and i used it for a bit and noticed my hands kinda getting sore. So i left it in the basement and went back to my 2 piece composite.

Hmm, that's probably why my right wrist has been hurting a bit lately. I thought maybe it was because I am shooting more and actively working on my slapshot in warm ups.

I don't mind it. I love the feel I get from a OPS.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
afterhours said:

What I did to improve my stickhandling and pass reception after I switched from wood to composite is moved my 'tape wrapping' on the blade closer together. Basically I'm putting more tape on the blade of my stick, which tends to cushion the puck a bit more and makes up for the added rigidity of the blade. Most stickhandling problems occur when the puck bounces away due to less energy absorption.

I hope this makes sense. :)

p.s. I use a CCM Vector 140 T. SUPER stiff stick that I can barely bend. The best stick I ever had, and I got it as an Oiler return for just 100 bucks (reg 300)

Chadd

Mar 24, 2006
Joe Cole said:
Now, 1 outta 4 shots- I wiffle a shot wide of the net. The shaft shakes like twig, and I get nothing on the shot. Really frustrating.

On the other shots, I flys like a rocket... but I miss the consistancy.

Sounds like an issue with the lie more than anything else. You may need a stick/blade with a lower lie.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
afterhours said:

Does its a wood stick ? Can you give me a place that can i see the stick and the price ????? Thanks u in advance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad