Compliance Buyouts

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Question remains: Does the TBL organization consider using the 2nd compliance buyout and if so who should be up for consideration. Purcell 4.5M 2 more years, Carle 5.5M 4 more years and I don't believe Malone can be added considering his drug status.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Hmm. If Malone can't be done, I really, REALLY hope it's Purcell if we can't find a trade partner. Hell, if Malone can be done, I think I'd want Purcell to go anyway. Carle will stay, no doubt in my mind. He does more good than harm.

Last edited:

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Purcell would have value if we retained salary as would Carle. Hate both of their contracts and want them both off the team. Also don't have anyone that can replace Carle.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Depending on how the offseason and potential defensive moves look... possibly Brewer.

We can eat one more year of Bugsy, we might be able to find a taker for Teddy, but Brewer...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Last I saw (on the main boards), Malone's issues shouldn't affect the team's ability to buy him out. Is that not true?

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Brewer makes far less sense than Carle. Brewer doesn't make me smack my head against the desk regularly.

I don't see buying out Bugsy with just 1 year left. He's an overpriced 4th liner, but he doesn't seem to be too chapped about his new role.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I'm not for buying Brewer out either. He's been very solid as a #4-6 this season and his $3,875m cap hit is off the books after next season.

Malone I don't know if it's even possible to buy him out at this time. I guess there could be some kind of out-clause for the Lightning in case of substance abuse making a buyout redundant. There is still no proof that he was actually using though, right? What's the legal status on Malone anyway? Will he have an hearing or something?

Purcell has been underwhelming and that's an understatement. He's in a slump (7.6 S%) and I normally wouldn't be worried but I am. We see no effort, no hard work, nothing. These playoffs are the time for him to step up. That doesn't even mean to score goals all the time but to lead our kids by example. He's been to the ECF before, he's been a key player in the playoffs for us. But he looks like he just doesn't give a crap. He's been a non-factor playing meaningless minutes on our 4th line while getting paid like a top-6 forward. On paper he should be our 2nd or 3rd best forward behind Stammer and Filppula. Instead most of our forwards have outplayed him. He's literally the most frustrating player to watch on this team - especially when you know what he's capable of if he'd just focus on hockey and work harder. If we can't trade him I hope he's gone via buyout this off-season.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I forget whether Matt Carle was signed prior to the last CBA or after it, because players signed post-CBA ratification cannot be compliance'd.

The obvious answer to me seems to be Malone. You might be able to extract some value for Teddy Purcell but Malone has none and his presence on the roster creates a glut and keeps a more deserving player from having minutes. I can't imagine this being anyone other than him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carle was signed before the new CBA so he can be but our D would be 10 times worse without him. He's having a rough series but is still a competent top 4. Brewer is a great bottom pair defender and has really helped out our young guys so they can grow. Purcell is still above a 0.5 PPG player so he's useful to either us or another team, we'll trade him before buying him out. Malone was going to be bought out but with the drug issue he will most likely be on LTIR next season so we won't have to buy him out.

We don't have anybody that needs to be bought out so we probably won't end up using the 2nd one.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Teddy can be traded, ups his value if we retain some salary. Carle is streaky but he provides a service and isn't completely terrible at it. Brewer has really come on as of late and is awesome in limited minutes. I'd say buyout Malone.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I don't see why people are recommending buying out Carle? Who do we replace him with? Also in a 3/4 D position he has been pretty solid. We already will have a gaping hole to fill with Salo most likely not coming back. Malone is the obvious choice, but with the arrest and only having 1 year left, don't see that happening. That leave Tedward...Tedward is a weird case though. Salary retained Tedward might be able to get something. Tedward is the one who has been invisible all season and now the playoffs. Any line he has been on this year has gotten worse. I would much rather be out of his contract.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I don't see why people are recommending buying out Carle? Who do we replace him with? Also in a 3/4 D position he has been pretty solid. We already will have a gaping hole to fill with Salo most likely not coming back. Malone is the obvious choice, but with the arrest and only having 1 year left, don't see that happening. That leave Tedward...Tedward is a weird case though. Salary retained Tedward might be able to get something. Tedward is the one who has been invisible all season and now the playoffs. Any line he has been on this year has gotten worse. I would much rather be out of his contract.

Yup, this. No way we buy out Carle. Our D is already bad, no way we make it worse. Same story with Brewer IMO, unless we find a replacement who is a better fit and cheaper. Only disagree with your stance of Tedward. Teddy has trade value, especially if we retain salary. I can't see Vinik agreeing to buy him out if we can get something for him. Malone is the only one that makes sense. Either him or we don't use it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What's the point? He provides leadership, and has been great with limited minutes.

Which would be fine if he were a third or fourth pairing defender making about 1.5, but hes making nearly 4m a year.

Understand I dont mean hes bad - you guys act like I wasn't the biggest damned advocate about him being better under Cooper, 4m is just a lot to spend on a guy that will only eat 15 minutes or so.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Which would be fine if he were a third or fourth pairing defender making about 1.5, but hes making nearly 4m a year.

Understand I dont mean hes bad - you guys act like I wasn't the biggest damned advocate about him being better under Cooper, 4m is just a lot to spend on a guy that will only eat 15 minutes or so.

Sure, I agree with all that. But like you said in your original post, it all depends on our offseason. If we can find someone better suited for the role/our team that is cheaper, than we should do it. If not, it'll only stand to make our D worse.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sure, I agree with all that. But like you said in your original post, it all depends on our offseason. If we can find someone better suited for the role/our team that is cheaper, than we should do it. If not, it'll only stand to make our D worse.

Well of course, don't assume it would happen without any forethought :laugh:

Say, for example, an Anton Stralman type for 2-2.5...

Even better, Matt Greene. You grab him, pair him alongside of the defensively derpy Matt Carle, and let Carle run free.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, but out of our buyout options (Carle, Malone, maybe but probably not Purcell), Brewer is the one that provides the most. It's been pretty comforting to have him on the third pairing this year. Yeah, he makes too much for his role, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But, money aside, I feel like he's a luxury in a way. Especially when we have so many young players playing with him.

Malone and Purcell are different stories. Malone can be effective on the fourth line, but I don't feel like he's all that much of an upgrade over our other options, and he comes with a 4.5 hit.

Purcell... well, 85% of us share the same feeling about Purcell (pretty sure you're a Purcell supporter). Not only do I think Purcell makes too much for his role, but I'm not sure there's any role he can take with this team where he's not hurting us one way or another. He's a low energy player on a high energy team. It looks like he's in slow motion out there, and it has nothing to do with his talent level. I'd rather see him traded than bought out, of course.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I'd expect Purcell to have some good value to teams looking for scoring and keen on reclamation projects. The Islanders, for example. May not even need to retain much salary.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd expect Purcell to have some good value to teams looking for scoring and keen on reclamation projects. The Islanders, for example. May not even need to retain much salary.

I think he has some value. But it's decreasing. We probably could have gotten a nice piece for him around Christmas. But any scout worth his salt can look through those 42 points and see how terrible Teddy was this year. And also, if they've been paying attention, how terrible he was for a large chunk of last year. I think a lot of us were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know I, personally, chalked it up to Teddy quitting on Boucher. But this season was a disaster. At no point did Teddy find chemistry with linemates, and in many cases, those same lines found chemistry as soon as he was replaced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad