Compliance Buyout 2

oilers25

Aug 10, 2011
With the Oilers having used 1 compliance buyout and a few veterans coming off the books (Smyth, Hemsky, Jones and Schultz and Dubnyk and Eager and Larson), should the Oilers on a current roster player to create even more cap room.

But keep in mind with all that money coming off, raises are coming to RNH and Justin Schultz for next year!

Another possibility is to trade for a player and then buy him out (hello Mezros) but 'm sure Bettman And Daly would say no!

Ideas?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They don't really have contracts that need to be bought out. Unless they do the trade and buy out another team's bad contract.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With the Oilers having used 1 compliance buyout and a few veterans coming off the books (Smyth, Hemsky, Jones and Schultz and Dubnyk and Eager and Larson), should the Oilers on a current roster player to create even more cap room.

But keep in mind with all that money coming off, raises are coming to RNH and Justin Schultz for next year!

Another possibility is to trade for a player and then buy him out (hello Mezros) but 'm sure Bettman And Daly would say no!

Ideas?

I am usually the king of bad grammar and spelling and not happy you are trying to steal my throne.

The idea you are floating is trading for a bad contract of another team, getting something good along with that player and then buying him out--I think that is what you are saying?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I am usually the king of bad grammar and spelling and not happy you are trying to steal my throne.

The idea you are floating is trading for a bad contract of another team, getting something good along with that player and then buying him out--I think that is what you are saying?

That sounds like what he is saying.

The compliance buyout section of the CBA isn't clear on this. It doesn't explicitly rule out buying out someone else's bad contract. Although Bill Daly seemed to be leaning towards stopping trade and buyout scenarios when the Leafs were looking at acquiring Lecavalier for the purpose of buying him out.

Jul 19, 2012
There is nobody to buy out at year end except Gagner and he's tradable. So long as his +/ - doesn't get to -40 by the end of November.

Sloth Slothersons*

Buyout one of Eberle, Hall, or RNH to send a message.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
They made a mistake IMO by not giving a compliance buyout to Nick Schultz.

Could have helped them out a little cap-wise.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Buyout one of Eberle, Hall, or RNH to send a message.

Send a message to confirm the fact that they're even more idiotic than we thought they were?

It's not like any of them would care if they got bought out because they'd just sign another contract and get more money on top of getting their buy out money.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
There is nobody to buy out at year end except Gagner and he's tradable. So long as his +/ - doesn't get to -40 by the end of November.

So are we hoping he gets injured again soon? At the rate SS is going hitting -40 by then is a real possibility unless Eakins starts givning him all the gravy minutes like every other coach always has.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gagner is our best two-way forward. The sad part, I probably don't even have to add the sarcasm smilie.:laugh:

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We do have very good case for compliance buy out. ANDREW FERENCE

1. He doesn't have trade value
2. He is a captain and I want his head on the table (along with Lowe MacTavish and Eakins)
3. He is non-factor in this team

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This team has no compliance buy out candidates. Every bad contract expires this year. Smyth, Hemsky, Dubnyk, Labarbera, Schultz, Jones, Grebeshkov and Eager. That's an extra 16.5 million in cap space for next season, not counting what the cap will go up to. As for Ference, the only mistake was naming him captain. This is Hall's team and everyone knows it, he should have been named captain.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
I think you're overestimating the raise Schultz will get.

Then again, we're talking about a team that wanted Clarkson for 6 years @ 6M, so who knows? :shakehead

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
With the way J.Schultz is playing, he should have a cap hit smaller than his current one.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't see anyone worth buying out at this point.

Too bad you couldn't just hang onto them forever.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
This team has no compliance buy out candidates. Every bad contract expires this year. Smyth, Hemsky, Dubnyk, Labarbera, Schultz, Jones, Grebeshkov and Eager. That's an extra 16.5 million in cap space for next season, not counting what the cap will go up to. As for Ference, the only mistake was naming him captain. This is Hall's team and everyone knows it, he should have been named captain.

It sure is. And that is part of the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad