Complete Stars History (1967 - 2015)

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Tonight's notes against the Pittsburgh Penguins (10/16/14)...

The Stars' 3-2 win over the Penguins was their first win in Pittsburgh since 12/23/00, when Dallas won 8-2.

Vernon Fiddler moved into the top 100 in penalty minutes in franchise history with his two tonight.

Jason Spezza became the 512th player to record a penalty for the franchise.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Notes against New Jersey (10/24/14)...

Jyrki Jokipakka became the 611th player to play for the franchise, and he became the 12th player all-time to wear the #2 sweater.

Patrick Eaves became the 395th player to score a goal in franchise history.

New Jersey's 2nd goal against Kari Lehtonen marked the 600th goal the keeper has allowed in a Dallas uniform.

Kari Lehtonen faced 27 shots against the Devils, giving up 7,270 shots faced in a Dallas uniform. He moved into 3rd place all-time in shots faced in Dallas history passing Ed Belfour's 7,245.

Dallas played their 100th shootout game in franchise history, improving to 58-42 all-time.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Notes against New Jersey (10/24/14)...

Jyrki Jokipakka became the 611th player to play for the franchise, and he became the 12th player all-time to wear the #2 sweater.

Patrick Eaves became the 395th player to score a goal in franchise history.

New Jersey's 2nd goal against Kari Lehtonen marked the 600th goal the keeper has allowed in a Dallas uniform.

Kari Lehtonen faced 27 shots against the Devils, giving up 7,270 shots faced in a Dallas uniform. He moved into 3rd place all-time in shots faced in Dallas history passing Ed Belfour's 7,245.

Dallas played their 100th shootout game in franchise history, improving to 58-42 all-time.

Love, love the all-time stats Lobo! It'll be a lot of fun to see Benn, Seguin, Spezza move up the all-time single season leaders board for our franchise later this season. I think at least one of them bests Modano's 93 pts.

What is the all-time goals record for Dallas/North Stars?

What is the all-time points record for Dallas/North Stars?

What is the all-time assists record for Dallas/North Stars?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Pretty sure that's Modano for all three.

Wait, just realized as I said that you probably meant single season.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Season wise (for the franchise/Minnesota)...
Points - Bobby Smith with 114 in 1981-82
Goals - Brian Bellows with 55 in 1989-90
Assists - Neal Broten with 76 in 1985-86

In Dallas it's..
Points - Mike Modano with 93 in 1993-94
Goals - Mike Modano with 50 in 1993-94
Assists - Brad Richards with 67 in 2009-10

Richards is only one to hit 60 assists since the move. And is the closest to Modano's 93 as he hit 91 in 2009-10.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Season wise (for the franchise/Minnesota)...
Points - Bobby Smith with 114 in 1981-82
Goals - Brian Bellows with 55 in 1989-90
Assists - Neal Broten with 76 in 1985-86

In Dallas it's..
Points - Mike Modano with 93 in 1993-94
Goals - Mike Modano with 50 in 1993-94
Assists - Brad Richards with 67 in 2009-10

Richards is only one to hit 60 assists since the move. And is the closest to Modano's 93 as he hit 91 in 2009-10.

Thanks for the numbers Lobo! I love this kind of stuff. Don't see enough of it on these boards.

Any predictions on which of these records will fall this year, if any?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
It wouldn't shock me to see Seguin come close to 50 but fall short. I think he's still a year or two away from potting 50 but I do think he'll do it while in Dallas.

I think he has a realistic shot to beat Modano's point record (in Dallas). Can't see him catching Smith's record yet.

If Spezza stays healthy, he could have a chance at the Richards mark (don't think it'll happen). 76 (or even 70) seems like quite a stretch though.

It is pretty remarkable though to look at Seguin already. We're 8 games into his 2nd season, and he's only two points away from reaching 100 as a Star. He could easily be in the mid 40s rankings in terms of total points by the end of this season. In goals, he's already in the top 70 in franchise history. Let's say he just hits 40 this year, that'd put him already in the mid 30s all-time. And lets say he has a 50 assist season, that'd put him in the top 50 already.

He's definitely going to be a top 10 guy in franchise numbers all the way around.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
It wouldn't shock me to see Seguin come close to 50 but fall short. I think he's still a year or two away from potting 50 but I do think he'll do it while in Dallas.

I think he has a realistic shot to beat Modano's point record (in Dallas). Can't see him catching Smith's record yet.

If Spezza stays healthy, he could have a chance at the Richards mark (don't think it'll happen). 76 (or even 70) seems like quite a stretch though.

It is pretty remarkable though to look at Seguin already. We're 8 games into his 2nd season, and he's only two points away from reaching 100 as a Star. He could easily be in the mid 40s rankings in terms of total points by the end of this season. In goals, he's already in the top 70 in franchise history. Let's say he just hits 40 this year, that'd put him already in the mid 30s all-time. And lets say he has a 50 assist season, that'd put him in the top 50 already.

He's definitely going to be a top 10 guy in franchise numbers all the way around.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that at least one of the Franchise records falls this year! Because if it's not this year that it happens, when does it right?! We have three guys who are capable and off to great starts. I'd love to see them break 'em all, but I'd be happy with one.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Stars fans were saying the same thing going into their matchup against the Golden Seals on Feburary 15th 1976. :sarcasm:

Haha. Fair enough. In all seriousness, the Coyotes have given us a fair amount of problems over the years (more so than you'd expect).

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Does anyone know who has been the fastest to 30 goals in franchise history? I have no clue how to look up stuff like that.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I've been trying to think of a way to look it up without having to go through one by one and do it. But I feel like that's what I'm going to have to do.

That'd be fun if we could figure out how Seguin's pace compared to others as the season progresses. In sure Ralph and Razor will report on his record threatening, who he's passing on the franchise all-time list, etc. as we get further along into the season. That should be exciting.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Hopefully these are correct (somebody please correct me if I am wrong on these)...

I know it's a little early to think about this, but we've got 3 players on track to challenge Franchise All-Time Single-Season Scoring Records at about the 1/3rd mark of the season...this is fun.

Single-Season Records for Franchise

Most Points in a Season - 114 - Bobby Smith

Jamie Benn is on pace for 120
Tyler Seguin is on pace for 116

Most Goals in a Season - 55 - Dino Ciccarelli & Brian Bellows

Jamie Benn is on pace for 61

Most Assists in a Season - 76 - Neal Broten

John Klingberg is on pace for 75

Most Points in a Season for a Defensemen - 77 - Craig Hartsburg

John Klingberg is on pace for 92

Most Assists in a Season for a Defensemen - 60 - Craig Hartsburg

All-Time Records for Franchise

Total Career Hat-Tricks for Franchise - 7 - Modano and Seguin

Seguin needs 1 more to break the franchise all-time record

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well, most of this got wiped when we cleaned up for the new servers.

Anyone opposed to making a new set of these? Won't be as detailed, but I'll do what I can, as well as whatever anyone else would like to do.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Hopefully these are correct (somebody please correct me if I am wrong on these)...

I know it's a little early to think about this, but we've got 3 players on track to challenge Franchise All-Time Single-Season Scoring Records at about the 1/3rd mark of the season...this is fun.

Most Points in a Season - 114 - Bobby Smith

Jamie Benn is on pace for 120
Tyler Seguin is on pace for 116

Most Goals in a Season - 55 - Dino Ciccarelli & Brian Bellows

Jamie Benn is on pace for 61

Most Assists in a Season - 76 - Neal Broten

John Klingberg is on pace for 92

All-Time Records for Franchise

Total Career Hat-Tricks for Franchise - 7 - Modano and Seguin

Seguin came close to that record breaking Hatty last night!

Benn and Seguin's pace had slowed....Seguin on pace for 111 points right now...leading the two.

Klingberg still on record pace, but has slowed a little too.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Stars All-Time Hat tricks

1.Dino Ciccarelli 14
2.Bill Goldsworthy 8
3.Brian Bellows 7
Mike Modano
5.Steve Payne 6
Tyler Seguin
7.Neal Broten 5
8.Danny Grant 4
Bobby Smith
Dave Gagner

Neat story regarding one of Grant's hat tricks.

Lou Nanne (defenseman) was playing right wing with Grant and Jude Drouin one night. Grant took a shot and Nanne deflected it. The goal was credited to Grant for the hat trick. On the bench, coach Jack Gordon says, "Louie, you got that goal." Lou says, "Yeah." Gordon says, "Well go and change it."

Gordon walks away, and Grant says to Lou, "Louie, I've got a bonus in my contract for hat tricks - I get a few hundred bucks. Also, the merchants we have here give us gift certificates for clothes and liquor. Don't change it."

Lou says, "Okay, but you've got to pay me $100."

Grant agreed. So technically he's got 3, but on-record 4.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Chasing Statistical History 2015-2016 - Update

We've fallen off pace a bit since the last time I visited this, but we've still got a historic season going.

John Klingberg is on pace for 71

John Klingberg is on pace for 60

All-Time Records for Dallas Stars (not Franhise)

Most Points in a Season - 93 Mike Modano

Jamie Benn is on pace for 99
Tyler Seguin is on pace for 95

Most Assists in a Season - 67 Brad Richards

John Klingberg on pace for 60

Most Points in a Season for a Defensemen - 71 - Sergei Zubov

John Klingberg is on pace for 71

Most Assists in a Season for a Defensemen - 58 - Sergei Zubov

John Klingberg on pace for 60

Total Career Hat-Tricks for Dallas Stars - 7 - Modano and Seguin

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Would love to see Benn hit 100. Been 29 years since we've seen a 100 point scorer (Ciccarelli 103 in 1986-87), and that's too long. Benn doing it would be amazing.

#1 is a Cup, but that's a close 2nd for me, along with another major award like the Hart or Lindsay.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
That'd be fun if we could figure out how Seguin's pace compared to others as the season progresses. In sure Ralph and Razor will report on his record threatening, who he's passing on the franchise all-time list, etc. as we get further along into the season. That should be exciting.

I know this is from last season, but I'm just seeing it now and figured I'd chip in what I can for now. It's late and my wife just got home from work too so I'd better make her something to eat. Will try to contribute more maybe tomorrow or something like that.

1997-98 Mike Modano
1st half: 15 goals, 38 points, 30 games (league's leading scorer at the time)
2nd half: 6 goals, 21 points, 22 games
Total: 21 goals, 59 points, 52 games

-I always feel like this would have been Mike's best season had he not taken that Bryan Marchment knee. Possible hardware year for him, ala Joe Sakic 2000-01.

1993-94 Mike Modano
1st half: 27 goals, 53 points, 42 games
2nd half: 23 goals, 40 points, 34 games
Total: 50 goals, 93 points, 76 games

-Another year Mike could have been bigger statistically without missing games. NHL played 84 this year so bit of a cheat, but with 8 extra games, even just 6 to make it 82, very likely 100+ points, maybe even 55 goals to tie Dino and Bellows.

1990-91 Neal Broten
1st half: 11 goals, 43 points, 40 games
2nd half: 2 goals, 26 points, 39 games
Total: 13 goals, 69 points, 79 games

-Not Neal's greatest season statistically, his offense began taking a step back, as Dave Gagner and a young Mike Modano were chipping at ice time and opportunity. Had a damn good playoff though. Not really a season worth noting, but figured I would just for contrast, and because I have the info, so what the heck.

1989-90 Brian Bellows
1st half: 24 goals, 44 points, 40 games
2nd half: 31 goals, 55 points, 40 games (Included a 15 game point streak Feb 27 - Mar 31 where he scored 17 goals and 27 points)
Total: 55 goals, 99 points, 80 games

-NHL 2nd Team All-Star LW
-Franchise record most points by a LW
-Franchise record most goals (tie)

1981-82 Bobby Smith
1st 15 games: 13 goals, 28 points
Total: 43 goals, 114 points, 80 games

-Franchise record most points
-Smith had 9 goals and 21 points after 14 games, then exploded for 4 goals and 7 points (franchise record) Nov 11 vs Winnipeg, giving him 13 goals and 28 points after just 15 games. Ended up with 43 goals and 114 points in 80 games

1981-82 Dino Ciccarelli
1st 15 games: 10 goals, 22 points
Total: 55 goals, 106 points, 76 games

-Franchise record most points by RW
-Franchise record most goals (tie)
-Dino had 9 goals and 17 points prior to game 15 vs Winnipeg. He missed 4 games that season and I'm not sure which games, so it's possible he hadn't played in all 14 to that point. Regardless, after his 1 goal and 5 points vs Winnipeg that night he sat with 10 goals and 22 points after the team's first 15 games. Ended up with 55 goals and 106 points in the 76 games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad