Compilation of experts mock drafts as a tool for success

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I remember seeing on this board (Or maybe on the Mock Draft board?) a spreadsheet in which we could see how a compilation of every experts mock draft in the past could be used a tool for NHL team to decide which prospect pick, that would prove most of the time to be a better option than to go with it's own list. Does this rings any bell?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Dumb question: How would one know what an NHL team's list looks like exactly?

I dunno about other teams, but Coyotes scouts are surprisingly candid in interviews after the fact (usually a month or two later on a podcast). At least the last crew was we've got a different group now.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Not sure if you are joking or what, but lot of draft experts don't work for teams but for medias / specialized websites (TSN, The Athletic, and such...)

better option than to go with it's own list.

These are your words. You're saying that this compilation of folks (who mainly strive for consensus anyhow) can out-perform NHL teams' lists. The comparison requires NHL teams' lists. How else would you be able to figure it out?

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
These are your words. You're saying that this compilation of folks (who mainly strive for consensus anyhow) can out-perform NHL teams' lists. The comparison requires NHL teams' lists. How else would you be able to figure it out?

I think you could cross reference solely by looking at teams draft results. Pick at team, re-draft by taking the highest remaining players via the consensus list and compare the results.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If you blended a bunch of these rankings together, you'd end up with a consensus of consensuses. Not sure it really does you much good. Plus, none of that takes into account differences in team development, injuries that happen post-draft, etc. - see: Angelo Esposito, 2007 draft, who maybe still wasn't going to be fantastic but knee injuries certainly did him no favors.

The real value is in looking at all the rankings and spotting who does the best job at picking gems out and getting them ranked even semi-accurately. It's great if someone noted Kucherov could be a superstar in this league, but if they still only had him ranked like 43rd I'm not sure that really screams "did a great job of identifying him" because it means he's still probably ranked behind guys like Adam Larsson, Ryan Strome, Jamie Oleksiak, Tyler Biggs, and so on and so on. And I'm not sure anyone's draft rankings have done that on even a semi-consistent basis.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have seen stuff sporadically around like this

Usually it is one guy doing it as a project and no one does it consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad