Comparisons

nextgretz*

I've heard some of these comparision to NHL players for 2006 draftees...

Kessel - Modano
Toews - Gilmour
Little - Richards
Johnson - Pronger
Backstrom - Forsberg
Okposo - Iginla
Staal - His brother

Any truth to any of these...

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
unsealed container said:

Kessel - Modano
Toews - Gilmour
Little - Richards
Johnson - Pronger
Backstrom - Forsberg
Okposo - Iginla
Staal - His brother

Most of those are pretty on the money. I don't remember too much of Douggy Gilmour because I was a little young, but to compare Toews to somebody playing now, I would say Lecavalier.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
if those comparisons are accurate and those players live up to that potential, it will go down as the one of the greatest draft classes ever....

comparisons are nice....but not usually too accurate.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Comparing one player to another doesn't mean they'll be exactly the same, only that their playing styles are similar.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
unsealed container said:

Kessel - Modano
Toews - Gilmour
Little - Richards
Johnson - Pronger
Backstrom - Forsberg
Okposo - Iginla
Staal - His brother

Kessel - Modano: Kessel will probably never be as good a two-way player as Mike.

Toews - Gilmour:Possibly, but will Toews ever have the leadership, intangibles, and clutch scoring of Gilmour? Also, Toews is a very smart player, who is cleaner than Gilmour.

Little - Richards:I don't know if Little could be as game-breaking as Richards. Richards really carried his team during the 2005 playoffs; he has leadership and intangibles to boot. If Little had that kind of potential, he'd probably be regarded a lot higher.

Johnson - Pronger: I see this one. Johnson will probably mature faster but not be as good offensively. Johnson certainly plays with an edge like Pronger.
Backstrom - Forsberg

Okposo - Iginla: woa, I don't know. Tough powerforward who is a great leader and clutch in the playoffs, sans this year? What makes Iginla so lethal is his work ethic, character, and willingness to buy into a team system; areas Okposo is relatively deficient in. Iginla also can take over a game, a trait Okposo seems to lake.

Staal - His brother: Very high standards. Eric really matured this year and went on a tear. Such kind of growth is very dependent on environment, and even if the younger Staal gets that, I don't know if he is talented or will develop the same kind of game.

toolboy

Aug 1, 2005
Any person the Caps draft = Alexander Volchkov (Prove me wrong Makfi!)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
unsealed container said:

Kessel - Modano
Toews - Gilmour
Little - Richards
Johnson - Pronger
Backstrom - Forsberg
Okposo - Iginla
Staal - His brother

I dont see Richards in Little. Little reminds me of Brad Boyes with less play making, and a little more scoring. Also much more grittier..

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If you're looking for a Brad Richards, I think Derrick Brassard is very similar.

X0ssbar

PhoPhan said:
Comparing one player to another doesn't mean they'll be exactly the same, only that their playing styles are similar.

With this statement in mind (b/c I don't think it can be said enough to some folks) this is what I've heard on the following two:

Mueller - Ron Francis
Brassard - Joe Sakic

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Okposo is nothing like Iginla, accept for skin tone.

People need to start thinking more before making these comparisons.

And Jordan and Eric are entirely different as well.

X0ssbar

BobMarleyNYR said:

Then who do they compare to? :dunno:

HoverCarle*

ive heard that brassard is like gagne sans responsible defence. but with more offence.

and jordon staal is a big power center, great defensive with some offensive kick aswell. not sure on a comparison right now.

turnbuckle*

Little Richard? Overrated. Much prefer Chubby Checker

Is Toews not about a half foot taller than Gilmour - or at least 4 inches? Not a real good comparison IMO. I still think Linden is an apter comparison.

Staal- his brother. Not sure you got the memo, but he has three brothers that play the hockey puck. You are refering to Eric I should assume? Easy to assume their similar because....they're brothers.

Kessel is a offense-first winger about thee inches shorter than defensively-sound, Stanley Cup winning Center Modano. Again - one a winger - other a much bigger and proven defensively (didn't hurt playing two years in the WHL) Center.

Other than that...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
BobMarleyNYR said:

if you are so educated on these prospects, why not make your own comparisons before you shoot down others.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'll give it a go with these comparisons:

Kessel - Samsonov (more of a shooter and faster but a lesser stickhandler and a little less sense)
Toews - Linden (with Brad Richards sense and vision)
Little - Briere or Marc Savard (not the biggest or fastest player but lots of sense and scappy)
Johnson - Pronger (but with Hartford, loads of ability that needs to be developed)
Backstrom - Gomez (tons of sense all over the ice, IMO the most NHL ready)
Okposo - Haven't seen enough of him
Staal - Jeff Carter (but with more sense and better hands, not the shot though at least yet, still could be a Handzus type even if his offense doesn't come around)

IMO there isn't a clear cut better player out of these names. Some are still very good players while being raw though and that untapped upside might make for a clearer best player coming out of this draft.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just in terms of style

Toews - Yzerman
Little - Recchi
Staal - Holik
Johnson - Brewer
Backstorm - Biere/Cammerleri
Okposo - Getzlaf
Kessel-Comrie

KH1

#66 said:
I'll give it a go with these comparisons:

Kessel - Samsonov (more of a shooter and faster but a lesser stickhandler and a little less sense)
Backstrom - Gomez (tons of sense all over the ice, IMO the most NHL ready)

I like these two comparisons an awful lot. Amazingly, Backstrom will probably be an even better goal scorer than Gomez with comparable playmaking ability.

He may be my favorite player in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad