Comparing Team Canada and Team USA up front - What gives??

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Canada appears to be the underdogs heading into the WJC in a few days, but if one were to compare the forward groups between Team Canada and Team USA, what would be the difference??

Head to head are the USA forwards better from top to bottom?

Do they have more skill than Canada? More grit? Are they bigger overall?

Can someone please explain the differences here?

I dont put a whole lot into the returning player from last year piece, as I think almost every team has more returning players up front than Canada this year, so you can throw that out the window.

Please help me figure this out.......:help:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Canada appears to be the underdogs heading into the WJC in a few days, but if one were to compare the forward groups between Team Canada and Team USA, what would be the difference??

I dont put a whole lot into the returning player from last year piece, as I think almost every team has more returning players up front than Canada this year, so you can throw that out the window.

but you probably should... older players tend to be better players and if a bunch of them played together already they've got a leg up in that regard too. It's always been that the older teams are favoured because a year can make a big difference at that age.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Canada has better centres, US has the better wingers. The US has a stacked returning group of wingers. Both sides are big, and both sides are very fast. As for grit, I'm not sure which side is more grittier but neither will get pushed around.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think the biggest advantage for the Americans is speed and to a lesser extent familiarity as many of the American players came through the NTDP.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Canada has better centres, US has the better wingers. The US has a stacked returning group of wingers. Both sides are big, and both sides are very fast. As for grit, I'm not sure which side is more grittier but neither will get pushed around.

Yeah if they play each other, I see things getting nasty which is always nice.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yeah if they play each other, I see things getting nasty which is always nice.

The US has twice as many retuning players but Canada has twice as many 1st round picks.

Translation... the upside to Canada's talent is much higher but the players may not be there yet.

As for the US being favourites... I don't buy it. I think they are co-favourites but TSN and Team Canada have been playing up "The US is number one" stuff to help with ratings and help Team Canada (IMO).

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I don't get it either. Time will tell. :)

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
The US has twice as many retuning players but Canada has twice as many 1st round picks.

Translation... the upside to Canada's talent is much higher but the players may not be there yet.

As for the US being favourites... I don't buy it. I think they are co-favourites but TSN and Team Canada have been playing up "The US is number one" stuff to help with ratings and help Team Canada (IMO).

Yeah you dont win the last 5 to 6 WJC and not be considered the favorite. I'm sorry, but the Americans are not the favorite, returning champs or not. Canada has a stacked team as they do every year. Think about it, last year was considered a disapointment for them. They Lost in the gold medal game, in over time against a very good American squad. And that was disappointing....

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Honestly, you just cannot compare these two teams/countries. It's that close.

They played two games last year and one went to a SO while the other went to OT.

It's a complete toss up between them IMO.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Yeah you dont win the last 5 to 6 WJC and not be considered the favorite. I'm sorry, but the Americans are not the favorite, returning champs or not. Canada has a stacked team as they do every year. Think about it, last year was considered a disapointment for them. They Lost in the gold medal game, in over time against a very good American squad. And that was disappointing....

Considering only one player on these two teams played a WJC before last year, those 5 previous golds are irrelevant.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Considering only one player on these two teams played a WJC before last year, those 5 previous golds are irrelevant.

No the 5 previous gold are not irrelevent at all as for beeing underdogs no canada is not a underdog in any way.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
No the 5 previous gold are not irrelevent at all as for beeing underdogs no canada is not a underdog in any way.

Yes, they are irrelevant. If you're simply comparing the two teams for the 2011 WJC, previous golds are completely irrelevant. Does it matter that Canada won a gold when Calvin De Haan was 14?

Now, if you want to compare the countries history, Canada blows US out of the water.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Yes, they are irrelevant. If you're simply comparing the two teams for the 2011 WJC, previous golds are completely irrelevant. Does it matter that Canada won a gold when Calvin De Haan was 14?

Now, if you want to compare the countries history, Canada blows US out of the water.

I will agree that the streak is irrelevant, however, the 2006 Gold medal team were major underdogs and only had one returning player and a bunch of grinders on the team. They were really well coached though (Sutter) and really bought into the program. U.S and Russia were considered far supiror then them.

member 30781

Here is my take on the differeces between the two teams.

Canada's top end forward talent is more elite than the USA's. Having said that, USA's depth is far more impressive. They can roll out all 4 lines and do some serious damage.

Canada wins in the defense department by a pretty good margin, and the USA wins the goalie department by an even bigger margin.

A Canada/USA game will definitely be a treat to watch.

MerryJ99

Aug 13, 2006
Edmonton
How many US eligible players are playing in the NHL compared to Canadian eligible players? I know if you added some of the Canadian eligible players team Canada would be really strong on offence, but I don't know enough about any of the US eligible players to form an opinion.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
How many US eligible players are playing in the NHL compared to Canadian eligible players? I know if you added some of the Canadian eligible players team Canada would be really strong on offence, but I don't know enough about any of the US eligible players to form an opinion.

Cam Fowler.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Here is my take on the differeces between the two teams.

Canada's top end forward talent is more elite than the USA's. Having said that, USA's depth is far more impressive. They can roll out all 4 lines and do some serious damage.

Canada wins in the defense department by a pretty good margin, and the USA wins the goalie department by an even bigger margin.

A Canada/USA game will definitely be a treat to watch.

Anyone remember this thread???:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1