Speculation: Comparing 1st OA picks of the past decade. Where does Mathews rank?

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Last 10 years the players picked 1st OA have been 06 - Eric Johnson, 2007 - Patrick Kane, 2008 - Steven Stamkos, 2009 - John Tavares, 2010 - Taylor Hall, 2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins, 2012 - Nail Yakupov, 2013 - Nathan MacKinnon, 2014 - Aaron Ekblad, 2015 - Connor McDavid. So for me, looking at this list, I'd rank them as 11. Yakupov, 10. Johnson, 9.RNH, 8. Taylor Hall 7. Nate MacKinnon, 6 ekblad, 5. Mathews, 4. Stamkos, 3. Tavares, 2. Kane, 1. McDavid. Now obviously Everyone of these guys are just entering their prime or haven't yet, So it's subject to alot of change, but by my calculations we have the 6th best 1st overall prospect in the last 11 drafts. Not a bad year to tank. What does your list look like?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Last 10 years the players picked 1st OA have been 06 - Eric Johnson, 2007 - Patrick Kane, 2008 - Steven Stamkos, 2009 - John Tavares, 2010 - Taylor Hall, 2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins, 2012 - Nail Yakupov, 2013 - Nathan MacKinnon, 2014 - Aaron Ekblad, 2015 - Connor McDavid. So for me, looking at this list, I'd rank them as 11. Yakupov, 10. Johnson, 9.RNH, 8. Taylor Hall 7. Nate MacKinnon, 6 ekblad, 5. Mathews, 4. Stamkos, 3. Tavares, 2. Kane, 1. McDavid. Now obviously Everyone of these guys are just entering their prime or haven't yet, So it's subject to alot of change, but by my calculations we have the 6th best 1st overall prospect in the last 11 drafts. Not a bad year to tank. What does your list look like?

Think he's definitely around the Tavares range if he pans out. Maybe sandwiched inbetween Stamkos and Tavares in terms of potential.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If they were all drafted in the same year with what you knew at the draft:

1. Connor McDavid
2. John Tavares
3. Auston Matthews
4. Steven Stamkos
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Patrick Kane
7. Taylor Hall
8. Erik Johnson
9. Nathan MacKinnon
10. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
11. Nail Yakupov

If you rate it based on their play up until today & who I'd want in the future:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Patrick Kane
3. John Tavares
4. Auston Matthews
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Steven Stamkos
7. Taylor Hall
8. Nathan MacKinnon
9. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
10. Erik Johnson
11. Nail Yakupov

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

1. Connor McDavid
2. John Tavares
3. Auston Matthews
4. Steven Stamkos
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Patrick Kane
7. Taylor Hall
8. Erik Johnson
9. Nathan MacKinnon
10. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
11. Nail Yakupov

If you rate it based on their play today & in the future:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Patrick Kane
3. John Tavares
4. Auston Matthews
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Steven Stamkos
7. Taylor Hall
8. Nathan MacKinnon
9. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
10. Erik Johnson
11. Nail Yakupov

I might even drop Kane lower in that first list. He had a lot of doubts about his size and strength at the draft.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Maybe better than JT and Stamkos? Maybe worse than MacKinnon and Hall. Who knows.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

1. Connor McDavid
2. John Tavares
3. Auston Matthews
4. Steven Stamkos
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Patrick Kane
7. Taylor Hall
8. Erik Johnson
9. Nathan MacKinnon
10. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
11. Nail Yakupov

If you rate it based on their play up until today & who I'd want in the future:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Patrick Kane
3. John Tavares
4. Auston Matthews
5. Aaron Ekblad
6. Steven Stamkos
7. Taylor Hall
8. Nathan MacKinnon
9. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
10. Erik Johnson
11. Nail Yakupov

I don't know that much about pre-draft rankings so I won't comment on the first list but that second list looks pretty good. Maybe it's the Leafs homer in me but I might put Matthews ahead of Tavares and I also probably put Ekblad ahead of them both. Not really sure though, it's tough.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't know that much about pre-draft rankings so I won't comment on the first list but that second list looks pretty good. Maybe it's the Leafs homer in me but I might put Matthews ahead of Tavares and I also probably put Ekblad ahead of them both. Not really sure though, it's tough.

I put Ekblad before Tavares/Matthews, Tavares before Matthews (after his first game then he can go before Tavares ;) )

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'd take Matthews ahead of anyone aside from McDavid. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares and Ekblad are hella great players and they can play on my team anyday. I'm not taking any of them over Matthews.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I'd take Matthews ahead of anyone aside from McDavid. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares and Ekblad are hella great players and they can play on my team anyday. I'm not taking any of them over Matthews.

You D take Mathews over mcdavid?

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I put Ekblad before Tavares/Matthews, Tavares before Matthews (after his first game then he can go before Tavares ;) )

I really beleive Mathews will have a tavares like career. Strong point totals, good 2way game, terrific leader and (most likely) captain one day.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I really beleive Mathews will have a tavares like career. Strong point totals, good 2way game, terrific leader and (most likely) captain one day.

Tavares certainly is not a good two way player. I'd say Matthews should math Tavares offensively, while playing better defense. Then again I don't think Tavares really has matched the hype he had going into his draft. Elite player but certainly not "Franchise Centre" if you ask me.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3-10. who cares

Matthews is about as close to a generational talent as it gets without being one. This is not homer bias either, I would have said the same thing before the lottery. He broke all the records in the NTDP and has always been put on par with Eichel. This was the Auston Matthews draft three years ago.

Keep in mind that Marner would have gone #1 in several of the recent drafts, which is something we discussed many times around last year's draft. And Matthews is a significantly better prospect than Marner.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Tavares certainly is not a good two way player. I'd say Matthews should math Tavares offensively, while playing better defense. Then again I don't think Tavares really has matched the hype he had going into his draft. Elite player but certainly not "Franchise Centre" if you ask me.
Not a tavares fan I take it lol. I wasn't either but I think his coming out party was the panthers series. He took over and showed alot of heart, determination and leadership in that series I think.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His potential is sky high.

Likely won't ever be quite as good as McDavid but he's got he chance to be the 2nd best 1st overall of the past decade.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3-10. who cares

Matthews is about as close to a generational talent as it gets without being one. This is not homer bias either, I would have said the same thing before the lottery. He broke all the records in the NTDP and has always been put on par with Eichel. This was the Auston Matthews draft three years ago.

Keep in mind that Marner would have gone #1 in several of the recent drafts, which is something we discussed many times around last year's draft. And Matthews is a significantly better prospect than Marner.
What is the requirement for being a generational talent and what doesn't he have that doesn't make him that? Not being rude, just wondering. Because I know he's a terrific talent but I have never heard anyone say generational (still trying to understand what makes a person a generational talent). Is it just undeniable, guaranteed superstar talent like Gretzky lemieux Crosby mcdavid that makes someone generational?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
until I see him play in the NHL this is as high as I am willing to guess....

1. Connor McDavid
2. Patrick Kane
3. John Tavares
4. Aaron Ekblad
5. Steven Stamkos
6. Austin Matthews
7. Taylor Hall
8. Nathan MacKinnon
9. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
10. Erik Johnson
11. Nail Yakupov

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As long as Matthews bring the Leafs to a Cup. I could careless if the other 10 1st overalls have a better career than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad