Compare the Bryan Murray's system in 2007 and Dave Cameron 's system in 2015

simplefan

May 25, 2008
Can someone help me? What was the strategy in 2007? I know we played an aggressive forecheck game but I don't really remember the specifics.

And compared to now, how they contrast?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think the breakout rarely used stretch passes or long passes in the way Cameron has the team play. Dmen generally chip it out or make a short pass to a forward who carries it out.

I think the sens used stetch passes for years quite often

Honestly i have a hard time remembering

I think a lot of what murray did played to the talent level of the team. Lots of passing. There were some games where the team looked like the harlem globe trotters aand doing all types of crazy passes. I want to say the team played toegther almost as 5 man units too. People had good chemistry.

Looking back on some comments people seem to think they shifted from a martin type system to a run and gun type system

hey're playing like the Martin Senators: trapping, sending one guy in on the forecheck, the dump-and-change. This was style everyone agreed was a good, high-percentage sytem in the regular season, but no-good in the high-pressure playoffs -- it ultimately cost Martin his job.

Funny how things come full circle.

To me this team still doesn't have an identity -- are we free-wheeling run-and-gun or trappers? If one works when we've got injuries, what do we do when healthy? The playoffs?

T
hey're only playing the trap system out of necessity, I think.

Glen Healy tried to point out that Ottawa was basically playing the trap and sending one man in during the Buffalo. Suffice it to say, that proved to be wrong as Ottawa opened up the floodgates.

I figure Ottawa used the "trap" to establish themselves in the game.

Whatever works, ride it.

It wasn't the trap that failed during Ottawa's earlier post-season; it was the lack of willing attitudes and a killer instinct - Ottawa couldn't bury teams when they had the chance and they weren't willing to sacrifice to win.

Everything Cameron has them doing seem to be always have support or always have an open man close by to pass to. Doesnt really seem to want people trying hard passes or risky passes just high percentage plays but nothing that really opens up a defense.

Last edited:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Ottawa in 07 had men high in our own zone a lot, we had good puck retrieval, chipped it out and were off. Talent made gaining speed through the neutral zone look simple and we scored on the rush a lot. Pizza line rarely had to cycle and although the other lines would dump occasionally I remember a big switch being the play at the opposition's blue line in that we kept the puck as much as possible. Clouston added that break out that went right in front of our own net and I remember a few muffed passes to Dmen (and Fisher) that resulted in turnovers and goals against I hated that system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad