Compare Prospects Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Post two prospects that are similar size, similar skills and similar game. Two that just poped into my head were from Rivals.

Jeff Carter/Travis Zajac - Both around the same height and size. Both lightning quick skaters who can finish very well while being great stickhandlers. Both are good defensivly and great faceoff men. They are both known for their great hand eye cordination. Both will use their size in offensive roles but could be more physical overall.

Zach Parise/Mike Richards - Mike and Zach are both smaller players at 5`11 and both around the same weight. They both have some grit to their game and are excellent offensive players. They are both quick. They both excell at the defense aspect of the game and both are great faceoff men. Most of all both are excellent leaders on and off the ice.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Alexander Steen/Marcel Goc - I think these guys are very similar in a lot of ways, they both are great 2 way players, both have good speed, both arn't affraid to go into the traffic, and don't shy away from contact. both are good in the corners and are great playmakers, can stickhandle in the traffic as well. Steen and Goc both have very few weaknesses. Similar size. :D

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
BuppY said:
Alexander Steen/Marcel Goc - I think these guys are very similar in a lot of ways, they both are great 2 way players, both have good speed, both arn't affraid to go into the traffic, and don't shy away from contact. both are good in the corners and are great playmakers, can stickhandle in the traffic as well. Steen and Goc both have very few weaknesses. Similar size. :D
Thats a good one.

leafaholix*

velimiiro said:
Kyle Wellwood - Corey Locke
I see the similarities, but Wellwood's vision, skating, and size is better than Locke.

velimiiro

Leafaholix said:
I see the similarities, but Wellwood's vision, skating, and size is better than Locke.

Well, Locke has better hands and a better shot. And i don't agree about "better vision".. wtf?

leafaholix*

velimiiro said:
Well, Locke has better hands and a better shot. And i don't agree about "better vision".. wtf?
Better hands?

You must be kidding me.

The shot part, it's possible. Wellwood's shot isn't special.

velimiiro

Leafaholix said:
Better hands?

You must be kidding me.

The shot part, it's possible. Wellwood's shot isn't special.

Wtf?

Please... seriously.. forget Wellwood is your teams prospect for a second, and REALLLY think about this.. okay?

leafaholix*

velimiiro said:
Wtf?

Please... seriously.. forget Wellwood is your teams prospect for a second, and REALLLY think about this.. okay?
Alright... Wellwood has better hands.

Now... your turn... WATCH Kyle play and comment on this.

The biggest Leaf hater that has seen Wellwood and Locke play will likely tell you that Kyle Wellwood is magic with the puck and has some of the softest, slickest hands in AHL.

velimiiro

Leafaholix said:
Alright... Wellwood has better hands.

Now... your turn... WATCH Kyle play and comment on this.

The biggest Leaf hater that has seen Wellwood and Locke play will likely tell you that Kyle Wellwood is magic with the puck and has some of the softest, slickest hands in AHL.

I've seen him play.

Okay... so let's ask the biggest leaf hater....

Hey biggest leaf hater... who has better hands/puckhandling/shot.. Kyle Wellwood or Corey Locke?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
velimiiro said:
I've seen him play.

Hey biggest leaf hater... who has better hands/puckhandling/shot.. Kyle Wellwood or Corey Locke?
I'm glad you asked me. :D They both have pretty good hands. I'd say Locke has a better, quicker, more accurate shot. Wellwood is better at putting the puck on a string in close and dishing it through traffic. But they're close enough in either respect that I don't doubt you could find objective observers who have seen them both who will argue either way.

Right now, of course, Wellwood's extra experience with the quicker pro reaction times certainly makes him look better. But if, like me, you've had the chance to watch them both through junior and now on into the AHL, and you're comparing them at the same stages, as juniors, or as 1st-year pros, I think the similarities stand out more. I only pray that Locke can take his talent to the next level in the AHL for the remainder of this season and into next season the way Wellwood has.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
velimiiro said:
I've seen him play.

Corey Locke. ;)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
Jeff Carter/Travis Zajac - Both around the same height and size. Both lightning quick skaters who can finish very well while being great stickhandlers. Both are good defensivly and great faceoff men. They are both known for their great hand eye cordination. Both will use their size in offensive roles but could be more physical overall.

This is my favorite comparison to Zajac as well. They are very much similar. It's eerie. They score goals much the same way too, nice use of reach and they can make a goalie sweat.

He is a very raw version of Carter, however. But it's pretty impressive that NJ could nab such a prospect lower than Carter went in a VERY deep draft.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
velimiiro said:
I've seen him play.

Okay, main thing is, Wellwood is more ready for the pro game. Locke may never make it past the AHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
This is my favorite comparison to Zajac as well. They are very much similar. It's eerie. They score goals much the same way too, nice use of reach and they can make a goalie sweat.

He is a very raw version of Carter, however. But it's pretty impressive that NJ could nab such a prospect lower than Carter went in a VERY deep draft.
Wait till next years draft. As you may have heard, James Sheppard who went first overall in the QMJHL is another clone of Carter and Zajac. He has scary speed bursts, excellent size, a nice shot, brilliant playmaking skills and most of all he is physical. At the age of 16 he is allready great defensivly and has the allround game of 19 year olds. Last night was his best game of the season when his role increased. Since Dixon has left for camp Sheppard has gotten more ice time and looks amazing. This kid can kill penalties, work a PP... everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad