Movies: Coming 2 America (Sequel to Coming to America)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'd enjoy it if Cuba Gooding Jr. reprises his role as a random extra in the barber shop, and/or Sam Jackson robbing a McDowell's again.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm looking forward to it. The screenwriters of the original are returning, which gives me a little bit of hope, as does all of the returning stars. Even though it's not mentioned above, John Amos will supposedly be in it, as well. It wouldn't have been the same without McDowell.

I'd enjoy it if Cuba Gooding Jr. reprises his role as a random extra in the barber shop, and/or Sam Jackson robbing a McDowell's again.

That would be the cherry on top to have Samuel L. Jackson return in a cameo as the same character robbing the same McDowell's 30 years later. I have a feeling that Jackson would be down for it, since he seems to be that kind of guy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No way they can possibly live up to the original.

What a shame - it was a classic that didn't need a sequel.

I'm expecting a lot of Wakanda Forever jokes.

Reactions: tacogeoff

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Shooting in Atlanta now. They're using Evander Holyfield's former mansion (now, someone else famous owns it...can't remember who) is being used as their palace.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So its not going to be set in modern day NY? That isn't good

From the article above:
The sequel will follow Akeem as he returns to New York to find his long-lost son and groom him to become his successor to the throne.

From what AltantaWhaler said, it sounds like they're in Atlanta to film some of the Zamunda scenes, since that's where the mansion is that they're using for the Zamunda palace. In other words, the film isn't actually set in Atlanta.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's any iteration of this that I would get excited for, but it reads as fairly uncreative and simple, and exactly the type of cheque cashing project where Murphy is likely to phone it in.

Reactions: NyQuil

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From the article above:

From what AltantaWhaler said, it sounds like they're in Atlanta to film some of the Zamunda scenes, since that's where the mansion is that they're using for the Zamunda palace. In other words, the film isn't actually set in Atlanta.

Makes sense

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Looking forward to it, one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's one of my favorites, too, especially because of the sentimental attachment of it being the first R-rated movie that I saw in the theater. I still remember how excited I was; haha.

I'm not sure if there's any iteration of this that I would get excited for, but it reads as fairly uncreative and simple, and exactly the type of cheque cashing project where Murphy is likely to phone it in.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I can see the opposite. Re-visiting one of his biggest hits from his glory years and getting to work with so many of his friends again might bring out the best in him. Maybe his best is nowhere near as good as it used to be, but, if this doesn't bring it out of him, nothing will, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad