Post-Game Talk: Comedy of errors wins (5-4 WAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
IMG_1865.png

Washington Capitals vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Highlights - April 19, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - April 19, 2017

More Post-Game Interviews: Rielly; Matthews & Andersen
----> http://www.youtube.com/user/torontomapleleafs/videos

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My message to the team:

il_570xN.812886125_oqss.jpg

a3ef124f3604f752e3ac4a88d21b4011.jpg

The reason we lost.., is because you let Washington dictate the speed of the game, again...

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, LEAFS..! :nod:

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The whole team was bad. You cannot expect to play a third of a game and win. It's really that simple. Only way to have a chance is if your goaltender stands on his head but he also had a bad night.

Meh.

They played more than a third of the game, it was a third of the game that they didn't play. the first period they totally were outplayed, the second was even and the third they outplayed Washington. The difference was bad bounces and goaltending. Washington still doesn't look like the best team in the league.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They played more than a third of the game, it was a third of the game that they didn't play. the first period they totally were outplayed, the second was even and the third they outplayed Washington. The difference was bad bounces and goaltending. Washington still doesn't look like the best team in the league.

I disagree. The first period we didn't even show up and in the 2nd period we were still outplayed severly. We couldn't even get out of our zone, literally.

We were incredibly lucky to have scored 2 goals in the first 2 periods. We probably had only 3 decent to good scoring chances.

Keep playing like that and it's not going to be a fun way to end the season. They won't though.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Washington up by 2 or 3 and they sat back, almost cost them a game they should have handily won. Had they kept playing all night the score would have been much more indicative. A mistake the Leafs have often made this year sitting back trying to nurture home that 2 or 3 goal lead. No doubt this game teaches the guys a lesson. Keep working..

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I disagree. The first period we didn't even show up and in the 2nd period we were still outplayed severly. We couldn't even get out of our zone, literally.

We were incredibly lucky to have scored 2 goals in the first 2 periods. We probably had only 3 decent to good scoring chances.

Keep playing like that and it's not going to be a fun way to end the season. They won't though.

Here's a third opinion.

I'm between both of you. I agree that the first was terrible. No speed and no smarts.

Second was where the Leafs woke up after a great shift by the fourth line. The really started to ramp up the energy. But, they still made some terrible decisions (with and without the puck).

Third is where the Leafs were moving as fast as they should have been from the start and the caps looked like they had slowed down. But again, terrible decision making by the Leafs plagued them this period.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
So I noticed last night that on Leafs zone entries (besides all the dump-ins) when the Leafs carry the puck into the zone, they mostly go deep and towards the corner (Dman is angling them off of course).

Caps for the most part do the "enter the zone, hit the brakes just inside the blue line and pass off to whomever is moving with speed".

The thing I've noticed is, when the Leafs try braking just inside the blue line and pass off, it makes for greater controlled zone play.

I'm thinking the Leafs do it less because of all the speedy, young players are able to get it deep but it's just not as effective. I think they need to go deep a lot less and do the stop and pass a lot more.

Thoughts?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If what we saw last night was the Caps backs-against-the-wall "A" game, we should be in good shape tomorrow night as they actually only played the first period and a half before going full turtle.

We clean up the 1st, and we'll be fine.

We can take these guys; they don't scare anyone.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Agreed. I thought the Bozak line was particularly bad, but the other lines weren't awful beyond the 1st. If that puck rolls past Wilson, it's an entirely different game.

Washington was content to sit on their leads as soon as they got them.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well I missed game 1, we lost. Watched game 2 and 3, we won. Misses game 4.
I just quit my job. They better win the cup before I get evicted :laugh:

member 262271

Really was a tough one to watch, but I'm proud of the boys resilience. Young team looked it on the gaffe leading to the Oshie goal. This series can easily go to 7, will be nothing if not entertaining.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's great to see this team in the playoffs, go leafs go!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Played a mistake riddled game that played right into Washington's series game plan(s) AND still almost pulled off sending this game to OT. I'm still loving the Leafs' chances.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs needed a save from Freddy last night and couldn't get it when they needed it.

The Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander/Brown continues to be the most dangerous and effective line.

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
The series has been fun; but get real......Caps are top 3 in the league

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement. The leafs have done amazingly well considering how many kids they are playing with, a banged up Zaitsev, over-worked Reilly (also banged up) and Gardiner and missing Polak, arguably their best defensive dman. This team has a below average defence core as it's stand snow and they are 2 and 2 with the Caps. Would be nice to win a series, but realistically this is about gaining experience and with the addtition of some better dmen, a team that will compete for the gold sooner rather than later. Enjoy the ride. We sucked last night. We played like a bunch of rookies out there :laugh:

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Not a good effort, but hey, it happens! If we were to be told that it would be 2-2 going into game 5 i think most of us would be really happy. On another note i've been really really unimpressed with Holtby and the Caps so called amazing Defense... They look like crap right now and really beatable. Lets friggen end this in 6

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Really was a tough one to watch, but I'm proud of the boys resilience. Young team looked it on the gaffe leading to the Oshie goal. This series can easily go to 7, will be nothing if not entertaining.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's great to see this team in the playoffs, go leafs go!

The fact we didnt let the Caps just run all over us after the 1st period is a good sign. We didnt let them do that unlike the Oilers. We actually pushed back.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Leafs needed a save from Freddy last night and couldn't get it when they needed it.

The Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander/Brown continues to be the most dangerous and effective line.

Andy any other day could have made the save on Eller and Oshie's last goal. But that's how it goes sometimes

On to the next one. I have no doubt Andy will come out strong

I love the team's resiliency, it would have been easy to play dead. Instead they fought back, came down to the last shot of the game

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Just wanted to add - for those of you who haven't seen Rielly's post game (sorry, I don't know how to embed videos):

THAT is the face of a warrior.
And THAT is the voice of a leader.

(cuts off report who mentions the "Leafs are hanging with them")
Rielly: Well, we don't think we're HANGING with them - we want to be in the driver's seat!

What a mature and well-spoken 23 yr old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Washington pre game changed their lineup by one player adding more grit to a third line, their coaching recognized they were outmatched by the leafs 4th line, so the change was made to pick on lightweight lines.
It worked, Leafs coaching made no adjustment even after being told? It doesn't take much to outmatch Leaf lines 1-3 physically. Reffing being inconsistent hasn't helped, a head shot early not called because the Leaf player is not a diver etc.

Defence is surely trying but is wanting for sure, overall effort is there but your never going to wear out the Capitols by not making the simple adjustments required. Overall Babcocks answer to Caps coaching not playing their 4th line was not to play his?.....Game over

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Just wanted to add - for those of you who haven't seen Rielly's post game (sorry, I don't know how to embed videos):

THAT is the face of a warrior.
And THAT is the voice of a leader.

(cuts off report who mentions the "Leafs are hanging with them")
Rielly: Well, we don't think we're HANGING with them - we want to be in the driver's seat!

What a mature and well-spoken 23 yr old.

Post only the stuff after the = between [ yt ] and [ /yt ] with no spaces

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Andy any other day could have made the save on Eller and Oshie's last goal. But that's how it goes sometimes

On to the next one. I have no doubt Andy will come out strong

I love the team's resiliency, it would have been easy to play dead. Instead they fought back, came down to the last shot of the game

Holtby is struggling to make a save also at times.

He entered the playoffs with a historical sv% in the .940 but only playing at .909 in this series as goals seem to be leaking by him also.

Goaltending has been shaky on both sides at times make for an interesting series, based on average goaltending on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad