Post-Game Talk: Comedy of errors wins (5-4 WAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just wanted to say Andersen was trash, and what....in...the....world were Carrick and Brown doing? Brown pokes the puck back into the group of players and then Carrick decides to take the puck back in his own end which takes away an offside turns it over....boom game over. Wow...we just shot ourselves in the foot all game. Would be nice if we started games on time. This crap of giving Wash a 2-0 head start before we even start skating needs to end.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
That was Andersen's worst moment of the season, I mean its one thing that he let in a terrible goal but to do it right after Matthews made this a game that is going to be a dagger every ****ing time. The whole team **** the bed on that play but Andersen's gotta bail them out it was a bad goal.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
They played more than a third of the game, it was a third of the game that they didn't play. the first period they totally were outplayed, the second was even and the third they outplayed Washington. The difference was bad bounces and goaltending. Washington still doesn't look like the best team in the league.

I mean I guess you can see it that way if you don't think that having the puck is a good thing? Or if you didn't realize the Caps goal was to make time disappear with a massive lead? Which they did in a near full period of keep away.

member 262271

The fact we didnt let the Caps just run all over us after the 1st period is a good sign. We didnt let them do that unlike the Oilers. We actually pushed back.

Exactly, I'm very proud of that fact. No quit in this team, so pumped for the future.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Trotz made some adjustments that were effective, but at the end of the day, our speed is the key to penetrating the offensive zone.

I'm sure Babs will have them well prepared for game 5.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Exactly, I'm very proud of that fact. No quit in this team, so pumped for the future.

That game last night was like watching the first fight between Rocky and Apollo Creed. We had them on the ropes at the end but just ran out of time.

Gotta come out strong out of the gate the rest of the way.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Even if we lose this series, this teams ability to bounce back and never be out of it is maybe the most important thing we have all learned from this experience. Previous versions of the Leafs buckled and broke under adversity

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
The 5th goal was what the team was asking for. They weren't able to get the puck out of the D zone despite easy chances. They weren't able to pass the puck effectively (so many short passes failed) and all of the D made really poor decisions. I saw a lot of them hanging on to the puck when there were open players and instead they'd wait for a caps player to come and basically take it from them. It reminded me of our last Tampa game. It was pretty crazy.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Spotting the other club a three goal lead going into the second period, isn't a recipe for providing your club with a chance to win.

We won the second. We won the third. But we lost the first and lost in the first.

When I think of the fifth goal, I'm not looking at Andersen failing to bail the club out. He's got T.J.Oshie coming down on him in what's in essence a breakaway. Anyone catch what kind of finisher Oshie can be on a breakaway or penalty shot? He's pretty damn effective.

No, I look to the panic in young players, like Connor Brown. He turns to his right and there's a defenceman behind him who could calm the situation down...But at that point, nerves took over when perhaps at different levels they might not have given the experience. And like Babcock said, we had veterans playing in their eighth playoff game. That's not a description of accomplishment.

So my takeaway remains. I'm still surprised this club is playing this well. We were pressing them to the last second. We won 2 of the 3 periods...But without experience, without knowing it in your bones, our boys could NOT have known what kind of veteran response was coming.

Now they do, and our young guns - as we have all seen - learn quickly. Maybe it's implemented for Game 5, maybe it comes out in flashes, maybe it's something we don't see demonstrated until the next series of post-season play whenever that comes again.

Even in the loss, I'm elated. I couldn't be prouder of our young club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad