Comcast to Renovate Wells Fargo Center

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Comcast Spectacor opts to pay $250M to upgrade Wells Fargo, instead of building a new center - Philly

Looks like Comcast is going to drop $250M into renovating the Wells Fargo Center over the next three years, cutting down on suites, moving some of them courtside, widening the concourses, creating new open spaces, and adding more concessions stands. They claim to have considered a teardown and rebuild, but a new arena would have run them $750M, so the renovation was the preferred option.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Comcast Spectacor opts to pay $250M to upgrade Wells Fargo, instead of building a new center - Philly

Looks like Comcast is going to drop $250M into renovating the Wells Fargo Center over the next three years, cutting down on suites, moving some of them courtside, widening the concourses, creating new open spaces, and adding more concessions stands. They claim to have considered a teardown and rebuild, but a new arena would have run them $750M, so the renovation was the preferred option.

So four times the number of Crab Fries sale points?

If I hadn't been to Reading Terminal Market the day of my visit, I'd have probably partaken myself.

I have misgivings about courtside suites, but everything else seems wise here.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I think its a good idea. Theyve got the location they like just renovate inside ala msg and tampa. Be interesting to see if more arenas do this in the nhl instead of building whole new arena

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Didn't they just do a concourse renovation? I know all the aforementioned crab fries stands moved downstairs, which irritates me to no end. Plus they don't sell beer in those lines anymore.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
How do you move suites Courtside?

Rather than enclosed suites, you'd be looking at "Luxury Boxes" similar to what is sometimes setup at tennis & equestrian events etc that dont block the seats behind them... sort of like "Club Toyota" or "Club BMW" at GRA in Arizona was, "Club Red" in Sunrise for Panthers games & concerts & so on.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
How do you move suites Courtside?
If it's like T-Mobile, the suites are below the stands and the people in the suites just have assigned seats on the glass/in the first few rows. There's no real way to see the game (except for on the closed circuit televisions) from the suite.

If you ever see the teams coming out of the tunnels at Knights games, the mirrored windows lining the hallway are the suites.
Here's a video from construction:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
T-MA didn't have to pay for land. I'm guessing that might have helped.

Plus, they didn't finish the upper/press level on one side at T-MA.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
T-MA didn't have to pay for land. I'm guessing that might have helped.

Plus, they didn't finish the upper/press level on one side at T-MA.

Comcast would likely not have had to pay for land; they were discussing demolishing WFC and building on site, but that does bring in demo fees and the like, and possibly the cost of renting a temporary venue in which to play.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Comcast would likely not have had to pay for land; they were discussing demolishing WFC and building on site, but that does bring in demo fees and the like, and possibly the cost of renting a temporary venue in which to play.
They don’t have to. They could build it on top of old Spectrum site.

Reactions: Morrison

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They don’t have to. They could build it on top of old Spectrum site.
but South Philadelphia begs the question, BK, ALL Venues are in that section of Philadelphia, including Lincoln Financial Field and Citizens Bank Park are all there, you need parking in that section..... it matters where the Spectrum was built/demolished... plans for that site are to be a 300 bed hotel, as part of XFINITY Live, which phase I opened in 2012....

Veterans Stadium was imploded (it sat across the street from all 4 venues currently within the complex), including the 2 I Mentioned earlier (CBP/LFF) are all in that same block, the Spectrum itself was gone by 2011.... the Phantoms moved on to Adirondack, then Allentown, (currently Lehigh Valley Phantoms) and the PPL Center, which (Comcast) Spectra controls.

here's the full history of the Spectrum: Spectrum - Wikipedia (arena)

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Location matters, then there is cost of material, taxes etc.

Well T-Mobile looks like a high quality facility with a pretty high end finish by the looks of it. As for the land pretty sure they own it already.

As for not finishing the upper levels on one side to T-mobile...would be not talking about something that would be an additional 10-30 million tops?

I don't know.... you would think a good facility with 19,000 seats and several hundred more high-end seating options and 50,000 - 100,000 more square feet spread out over 5 or 6 levels than the old arena could be built for $500 - $550 million or so.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well T-Mobile looks like a high quality facility with a pretty high end finish by the looks of it. As for the land pretty sure they own it already.

As for not finishing the upper levels on one side to T-mobile...would be not talking about something that would be an additional 10-30 million tops?

I don't know.... you would think a good facility with 19,000 seats and several hundred more high-end seating options and 50,000 - 100,000 more square feet spread out over 5 or 6 levels than the old arena could be built for $500 - $550 million or so.

For Seattle it costs 650m just to redo the key and dig 15 feet deeper. I guess costs are lower in vegas than it is in philly.

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
I'm sure labor has a lot to do with the cost difference. Prevailing wages are a bit higher in Philly and Seattle than Las Vegas or, say, Kansas City

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So four times the number of Crab Fries sale points?

If I hadn't been to Reading Terminal Market the day of my visit, I'd have probably partaken myself.

I have misgivings about courtside suites, but everything else seems wise here.

Man are those crab fries overrated, just seasoning salt on greasy shoe string fries in a cup.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Man are those crab fries overrated, just seasoning salt on greasy shoe string fries in a cup.

Um...I think you might have gotten the wrong fries. :laugh:

chickie.png

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Um...I think you might have gotten the wrong fries. :laugh:

chickie.png

Ok, lol, I got them at the sportsplex center in the middle, not the stadium itself, assumed they were the same. Gotta go back to Philly now.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Ok, lol, I got them at the sportsplex center in the middle, not the stadium itself, assumed they were the same. Gotta go back to Philly now.

To be clear, I don't think they're the best fries ever or anything. They're good fries, sure, but I'd take mom and pop handcut fries down the shore drenched in vinegar well ahead of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad