Comcast now owns 100% of Flyers & WFC

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine part of moving Homer up was to get a hockey guy who's been pretty much a lifelong Flyer & someone close to Snider closer to the top.

I'm not really worried at all though. The salaries of the players are a good chunk of the team budget. The salary cap keeps that in line to something reasonable as it's based off the total league revenue. It's not baseball.

Overall I liked Snider & appreciated what he did in the past but towards the end in the Salary Cap Era you could very well argue he was more of a detriment to the team than a positive.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The fact that Mr. Snider's shares went to the corporation instead of some individual is a good thing, because there was always the potential that individual could be meddlesome and interfere with what's going on here. Right now we want the team to be run in autonomy by the hockey people and I think we will get that without a doubt

This is how I see it as well.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Does this mean the way the games are scheduled will be different?

Flyers vs Capitals (between 3:30-7:30) tonight on CSN. Will call 25 minutes before airing.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Spectacor makes more than enough money to sustain the Flyers. No one downtown gives a crap about the Flyers affecting the bottom line. It will annoy me when Comcast inevitably leans on the city to help subsidize a new arena. That's something that I don't think Snider would've done, even these days.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I wonder if bean counters will get last word without a guy like Snider around to over rule?
I don't imagine big changes but maybe small things like:

Spend less money on scouting
Less willing to bury bad contracts so then stiffs stick around
Unwilling to keep former players on payroll in community outreach roles; how's the hound and the fridge going make a living?
Sell Phantoms for a cheaper team in the middle of no where

How will I sleep at night

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Spectacor makes more than enough money to sustain the Flyers. No one downtown gives a crap about the Flyers affecting the bottom line. It will annoy me when Comcast inevitably leans on the city to help subsidize a new arena. That's something that I don't think Snider would've done, even these days.

That, I think is valid, but I think we got another 10 years til that is even in the discussion. Even though the Farg is older, it's still a really awesome stadium.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Somewhat off topic but I wonder if Comcast has a clause to get out of the naming agreement with Wells Fargo after the bad press from their consumer fraud last week? Just call it the Concast Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad