Speculation: comcast culture change

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
It my observation that Comcast has stepped into Comcast spectacor division ( remember comcast is the majority owner)and demanded management changes because the hockey organization seems to be bleeding money. mr snider spend millions on brez and then spent millions more to get rid of him. spent more millions to release briere. look at the millions of dollars being wasted on vinny and hartnell. don't forget that mr snider also spent more millions a few years ago to rid the sixers of bad contracts. comcast might be a billion dollar company but it did not get that way by spending millions with no return on investment.

in my opinion, the reason luukko left was pressure from Comcast.

according to the dec 3 CROSSING BROAD speculated:"And Luukko’s departure comes as Snider and Comcast-Spectacor may have been seeking subsidies from Comcast. Now, two former executives from Comcast’s cable division, Dave Scott and Gary Rostick, will join Comcast-Spectacor: Rostick as CFO, and Scott as acting president– Luukko’s replacement." does it strike anyone else that two Comcast managers were brought into the spectacor division. when your boss (Comcast) take out your #1 assistant and replaces him with their own people, it is a sign that that the big boss is not happy.

remember ed snider told john clark after the departure of luukko...he just met Scott, who will ostensibly run his(snyders) company . that just does not happen unless there is major concern in the upper levels of the corporation .

hextall,s first comments were about developing talent and not paying big bucks on old talent, a complete opposite to sniders lack of patience.

Comcast actions tell me a culture change has taken place in the hockey team. mr snider might at the top of the organizational chart , but it is in name only. the power now lies with comcast

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Well duh. It's not nearly the situation you're making it out to be, but they did blow a lot of cash on Bryzgalov. Remember though, the team did offer 200 million dollars combined to Suter/Parise, and they made a significant offer to Weber, so it's not like Comcast Corporation is really all that upset. Plus, Comcast Spectacor still makes a ton of money themselves. They don't release their financial records to the public, but Spectacor alone would still be one of the wealthier ownership groups in the NHL.

Plus, **** Comcast Corporation. Easily one of the more detestable corporations around. Spend all their money for all I care.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It my observation that Comcast has stepped into Comcast spectacor division ( remember comcast is the majority owner)and demanded management changes because the hockey organization seems to be bleeding money. mr snider spend millions on brez and then spent millions more to get rid of him. spent more millions to release briere. look at the millions of dollars being wasted on vinny and hartnell. don't forget that mr snider also spent more millions a few years ago to rid the sixers of bad contracts. comcast might be a billion dollar company but it did not get that way by spending millions with no return on investment.

according to the dec 3 CROSSING BROAD speculated:"And Luukko’s departure comes as Snider and Comcast-Spectacor may have been seeking subsidies from Comcast. Now, two former executives from Comcast’s cable division, Dave Scott and Gary Rostick, will join Comcast-Spectacor: Rostick as CFO, and Scott as acting president– Luukko’s replacement." does it strike anyone else that two Comcast managers were brought into the spectacor division. when your boss (Comcast) take out your #1 assistant and replaces him with their own people, it is a sign that that the big boss is not happy.

remember ed snider told john clark after the departure of luukko...he just met Scott, who will ostensibly run his(snyders) company . that just does not happen unless there is major concern in the upper levels of the corporation .

hextall,s first comments were about developing talent and not paying big bucks on old talent, a complete opposite to sniders lack of patience.

Comcast actions tell me a culture change has taken place in the hockey team. mr snider might at the top of the organizational chart , but it is in name only. the power now lies with comcast

Using Crossing Broad as a factual reference is factually silly

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Well if this is true ..I definitely hate Comcast more than Snider :sarcasm:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
7th most valuable NHL team.

7th least debt % of any NHL team.

The Flyers last year actually made a profit did they not?

It certainly helps that they own their own arena. I would be willing to bet that they've spent the most money on team personnel over the last five years. They're always a cap team, they had two high profile buy outs, and they've used the most LTIR money.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
7th most valuable NHL team.

7th least debt % of any NHL team.

The Flyers last year actually made a profit did they not?

Yes, they're generally in the black every year. I forget the actual numbers so I don't remember if they made less or what, but I imagine the lack of playoff revenue had a bigger impact than the buyouts. I'm pretty sure the buyouts are a series of annual payments, not a lump sum.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, they're generally in the black every year. I forget the actual numbers so I don't remember if they made less or what, but I imagine the lack of playoff revenue had a bigger impact than the buyouts. I'm pretty sure the buyouts are a series of annual payments, not a lump sum.

They are Bryz's is $23M ($1,642,857 per year) over 14 years & Briere's is $3.3M ($8.3K per year) over 4 years but then there was Pronger's contract which was $8M this year & $4M next year then $575K per year in the final two years.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Can they negotiate the terms of a buy out, or is it all mandated by the CBA? It would be funny if they stretched it out more on Bryz just to stick it to him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Can they negotiate the terms of a buy out, or is it all mandated by the CBA? It would be funny if they stretched it out more on Bryz just to stick it to him.

It was mandated by the CBA. I have would to imagine the only way they could extend it would be if they were having trouble paying it which I doubt would be the case with the Flyers.

RJ8812*

Luukko leaving is great. Next one out the door should be Snider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad