Columbus will "Not be the same team" in 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
A user asked Aaron Portzline on twitter if he though the Columbus would make the playoffs int he 2016-2017 season with the same team.

His reply "It will not be the same team."

Many users then asked to elaborate on his comment but to no avail.

That being said, what changes can you see coming to the CBJ roster next season that could give them a new

Personally here are my opinions

• David Clarkson is cut allowing CBJ to move up a hard working prospect.
  • Curtis McElheney is traded / cut allowing Joonas Korprisolo to move to CBJ as Bob's back up
  • CBJ will FINALLY have a good 1-2 punch at goal and will split time more consistantly
  • CBJ will do everything in their power to trade Prout (likely to Oilers) and Tytuin in the off-season opening up opportunity for Werenski.
  • One surprise trade will occur to get a high offensive player in the Union blue. This will likely come at the expense at a top 9 + top prospect level.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A user asked Aaron Portzline on twitter if he though the Columbus would make the playoffs int he 2016-2017 season with the same team.

His reply "It will not be the same team."

Many users then asked to elaborate on his comment but to no avail.

That being said, what changes can you see coming to the CBJ roster next season that could give them a new

• Curtis McElheney is traded / cut allowing Joonas Korprisolo to move to CBJ as Bob's back up
  • CBJ will FINALLY have a good 1-2 punch at goal and will split time more consistantly
  • CBJ will do everything in their power to trade Prout (likely to Oilers) and Tytuin in the off-season opening up opportunity for Werenski.
  • One surprise trade will occur to get a high offensive player in the Union blue. This will likely come at the expense at a top 9 + top prospect level.

Only the last one of those would really make it "not the same team". (Well, maybe both Prout and Tyutin gone.)

What would really make it "not the same team" is if the player traded away is someone like Foligno, Dubi or Bob. Maybe JJ, Calvert or Cam. Someone that you wouldn't expect. Hartnell doesn't really fit that but him too.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i don't see "MAJOR" changes...but yeah, there will be some moves made...maybe ones that didn't get done at trade deadline

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Only the last one could really be considered transformative. And I doubt that happens because the team is already loaded with forward salary and mid-high scorers, so it would likely just be scoring in, scoring out.

I think with a few minor tweaks, what you see is what you get next year. It will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of the new season and the full press from Torts.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Agreed.

When I look at this team as a whole there are definitely 'core' players who when removed change the identity of the team.

I'm not in the locker room so I can't speak for the teams leadership but I do feel that Dubinksy, Jenner, and Saad all have the opportunity to be great team leaders.

I hope that those three at least stay consistent.

I do think that if we can snag another strong defensemen via a trade like Shattenkirk or Trouba that we MUST do it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could be that he just meant that it's already not the same team because, y'know, Jones for Johansen. Or he has high hopes for incoming kids like Werenski and/or whoever gets drafted.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only the last one of those would really make it "not the same team". (Well, maybe both Prout and Tyutin gone.)

What would really make it "not the same team" is if the player traded away is someone like Foligno, Dubi or Bob. Maybe JJ, Calvert or Cam. Someone that you wouldn't expect. Hartnell doesn't really fit that but him too.

I agree with this.

I think to some extent though that the team will not be the same team even if no major changes take place in that they will start the season fresh with almost a whole season plus a training camp of Torts' under their belts.

The whole issue of off season trades this year is real interesting. Two major factors will influence with a tight cap being further hindered by the possibility of the expansion draft.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think to some extent though that the team will not be the same team even if no major changes take place in that they will start the season fresh with almost a whole season plus a training camp of Torts' under their belts.

I was not a fan of the Torts hire, and am still not sure where I stand - although Obviously I want to see him succeed, because it means the team is succeeding.

That said (and good on Espen for pointing it out), I think this might be what AP was getting at. A more esoteric meaning to "not the same" but it makes some sense.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I agree with this.

The whole issue of off season trades this year is real interesting. Two major factors will influence with a tight cap being further hindered by the possibility of the expansion draft.

Very true. But with the cap raise we do have some wiggle room and with us having guys chomping at the bit to come up and make the team like Bjorkstrand, Rychel, and Werenski there are some guys that we can (and should) move.

Hartnell is one of my favorite all time Blue Jackets for nothing more than his grit. But, his constant penalties (most of which truly are stupid) and puts us at a strong disadvantage. As his career continues to progress he should be added to a team that is destined at a DEEP cup run (and hopefully in the west) and hopefully we can make up for the scoring with someone we bring in (Bjorkstand? Milano?)

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Regardless of any player movement, I am hoping the biggest change is with mental fortitude. This team has the skill set to make the playoffs, they lack mental toughness it takes to win on a consistent basis. Its the same issue that has affected the franchise since day one.

As Torts likes to say, he doesn't "make" players block shots, the players should WANT to block the shots. That's what it takes to win.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Regardless of any player movement, I am hoping the biggest change is with mental fortitude. This team has the skill set to make the playoffs, they lack mental toughness it takes to win on a consistent basis. Its the same issue that has affected the franchise since day one.

As Torts likes to say, he doesn't "make" players block shots, the players should WANT to block the shots. That's what it takes to win.

The 0-8 start absolutely killed the motivation for the team. I was in Denver when they got their first win of the season and you truly would have thought that they just won their first playoff series with the way that they celebrated.

It was gut wrenching.

CBJ is a team that if they can ever get off to a 'hot start' I feel they can ride that success throughout the season.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Complete sidenote here - I lost my season ticket 'partner' for next season so if anyone is interested in a game or two (or a quarter season) please feel free to let me know :)

Lower Bowl Center Ice

Section 115
Row U (overlooks glass)
2 Seats from the Aisle (working on getting the aisle seats)

seat-3

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

-David Clarkson has a NMC. You cannot simply "cut" him. Maybe his back issues push him to LTIR, but he's not going to go away if he's healthy.
-The Korpi/CMac move should happen - not sure anyone wants to trade FOR a bottom 5 goalie in the league. McElhinney might just go on waivers instead.
-We'll see about splitting time. You're not paying Bob $7.5 (or close to it) to split games. But then again, his health should dictate that you do.
-Prout is an RFA. I'm not sure why teams would trade for his rights. Latest CBJin30 episode made it sound like he's going to be back. Tyutin I could see...but who wants an aging Dman for two more years? Going to be hard to move.
-I don't know about this. The team still needs to re-sign Karlsson and Jones. That won't leave them a lot of cap space, and moving a top 9 player + top prospect may not move out the necessary salary to be able to afford a high end offensive player.

Obviously the team will make some changes, I just don't think any of them will be major moves.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
-David Clarkson has a NMC. You cannot simply "cut" him. Maybe his back issues push him to LTIR, but he's not going to go away if he's healthy.
-The Korpi/CMac move should happen - not sure anyone wants to trade FOR a bottom 5 goalie in the league. McElhinney might just go on waivers instead.
-We'll see about splitting time. You're not paying Bob $7.5 (or close to it) to split games. But then again, his health should dictate that you do.
-Prout is an RFA. I'm not sure why teams would trade for his rights. Latest CBJin30 episode made it sound like he's going to be back. Tyutin I could see...but who wants an aging Dman for two more years? Going to be hard to move.
-I don't know about this. The team still needs to re-sign Karlsson and Jones. That won't leave them a lot of cap space, and moving a top 9 player + top prospect may not move out the necessary salary to be able to afford a high end offensive player.

Obviously the team will make some changes, I just don't think any of them will be major moves.

Just because Clarkson has NMC doesn't mean we can't let him go. We'd still have to pay him the guaranteed money based off of the way his contract is structured. But, by no means are we forced to keep him on the roster. It's not much (I believe only 1.24 million) that we save if we let him go.

We can do a sign and trade with Prout if needed. If he stays on the team, and we get back to being healthy, I don't see him playing often more or less as a common healthy scratch.

A move or a big signing would be good for CBJ. Saad has been a nice edition this year and if we can continue to bring in a group of B+ / A- players we should be able to form a strong push moving forward.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?

This is partially why I am happy to see them not tank it going down the stretch. They've not given up their team integrity. I'd rather see them build this than tank it and look at each other and not care. I like seeing the jubilation at the end of the Philly game. That makes teams better going into next season.

I've been really surprised at Torts and have been liking him more and more as he sits behind the bench. Looking forward to next season with the majority of this team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The blue jackets always tinker.
It will be largely the same cast of characters but I would think a mid-tier change will come - may be us moving a guy to create a little cap room, or could be trading a depth dman plus a prospect to get a winger.
But largely what you see is what you get - unless we win the lottery.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Just because Clarkson has NMC doesn't mean we can't let him go. We'd still have to pay him the guaranteed money based off of the way his contract is structured. But, by no means are we forced to keep him on the roster. It's not much (I believe only 1.24 million) that we save if we let him go.

A move or a big signing would be good for CBJ. Saad has been a nice edition this year and if we can continue to bring in a group of B+ / A- players we should be able to form a strong push moving forward.

Columbus can't afford to buy Clarkson out.
That's the reason why we traded for him - we had a guy making $5M+ not playing and the team said we couldn't afford that so we traded Horton for Clarkson to get a warm body.

Personally I think the team is where it needs to be.
-Finally have a focus on defense and a coach who preaches it
-Finally have competition for Bob
-Yes we're missing a top line C or elite winger but you can't get those in free agency to come to Columbus unless you're buying a guy easing into retirement (too many other good teams more likely to win). Short of winning the lottery, only other way is to trade a valuable asset (Seth Jones, 1st round pick, etc).

Honestly I think we play with what we have. If everything goes right we could be fighting for a spot and then try to swing a trade at deadline (let's be honest Columbus is a friendly team to deal with, no one feels threated by us - we're lovable losers). If we flop again then you know it's time for wholesale changes.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The reality is we're close to a cap team that maybe finishes in dead last place. We're pretty much hogtied with one bad contract after another and all I see happening is jettisoning some bottom line players then bringing up the kids and hope they play their way into more minutes and higher lines.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

We can do a sign and trade with Prout if needed. If he stays on the team, and we get back to being healthy, I don't see him playing often more or less as a common healthy scratch.

Ownership didn't want to Horton's remaining contract despite LTIR. They're not going to pay Clarkson that amount of money to walk away.

A big move goes against the "brick by brick" mantra. Plus, depending on what Jones commands they may not have the cap space to add a big-time player.

I hate to say this about Saad, but he's underperforming his AAV this season. No one wants to say it, but we're not paying him $6 mill to put up 45 points.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I don't see how this team could be made over. The top 2 lines will be back, the top 2 pairings will be back, and Bob will be back.

Porty is being vague, and I wouldn't read much into it. I think starting the season less Johansen and plus Tortorella is a transformation of some scale and maybe that is what he is referring to.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I don't see how this team could be made over. The top 2 lines will be back, the top 2 pairings will be back, and Bob will be back.

Porty is being vague, and I wouldn't read much into it. I think starting the season less Johansen and plus Tortorella is a transformation of some scale and maybe that is what he is referring to.

Agreed.

Who knows if we get incredibly lucky and land the top pick in the draft (although let's face it...we all know the Oilers will somehow win out...again) we have some bargaining power or keep Matthews as a new #1 C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad