Columbus to host 2016 World Cup training camp

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sadly, when I saw BREAKING: come across my phone I immediately got my hopes up for some kind of roster/management move.. but alas..

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wish we had a smaller (6-8k ish) arena to host some of these types of tournaments.

This should be a fun week though!

Jackets should try to buy and renovate the fairgrounds. That would be ****ing awesome. But I know it isnt going to happen. But i'd like to see a new rink thats not in the exact same mold as the other 4 rinks in the area lol. Not saying the chiller is a bad set of rinks,they are actually really good but they dont have much when it comes to attracting big name tournys.

Although I just moved back after being gone for 5 years so that may have changed since I was playing.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jackets should try to buy and renovate the fairgrounds. That would be ****ing awesome. But I know it isnt going to happen. But i'd like to see a new rink thats not in the exact same mold as the other 4 rinks in the area lol. Not saying the chiller is a bad set of rinks,they are actually really good but they dont have much when it comes to attracting big name tournys.

Although I just moved back after being gone for 5 years so that may have changed since I was playing.

Sorry, Portzline mentioned in a chat before that Columbus isn't seriously considered because two 18K seat arenas aren't great. There isn't really a mid-size rink in the area. That's what is holding the city back from winning these bids.

The fairgrounds would be awesome, but not sure who would undertake that project or why. Sigh.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Being able to buy tickets to USA vs Canada pre-tournament game is a STH Benefit I can totally get behind. Awesome work getting this set up CBJ! Should be a blast hosting the camp.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I know when Tortorella was hired, the talk was that his team would start to really take form when he gets the whole group in a full training camp.

But what i'm concerned about, is that with his duties for Team USA, we're not going to have that same effect here. This would end up being the boilerplate excuse for they the 2016-2017 squad got off to a terrible start, made a nice little end of the season run after they were eliminated from contention, and drafted 9th overall while proclaiming 2017-2018 the year of the CBJ.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Sorry, Portzline mentioned in a chat before that Columbus isn't seriously considered because two 18K seat arenas aren't great. There isn't really a mid-size rink in the area. That's what is holding the city back from winning these bids.

The fairgrounds would be awesome, but not sure who would undertake that project or why. Sigh.

Ahh that makes sense.

And yeah it makes absolutely ZERO sense to renovate fairgrounds when its probably cheaper to just build a new similar sized arena. But unless another youth team or JR hockey team comes to Columbus its not likely.

Back on track though, just having the camp here is a huge step though and really awesome.

Sidenote: A Jr hockey team in Columbus would be pretty sweet though(if it were done right and successful)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Helsinki is holding the WJC this year in just 2 arenas. No reason why Columbus can't host a WJC between Nationwide and the Schott

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
Surprised Ohio State doesn't build a rink specifically for hockey. The Schott is a horrible hockey venue. Tear down St. John's arena and build a nice facility.

Then again, Ohio State will not do anything to support Columbus, CBJ/NHL or Hockey.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I know when Tortorella was hired, the talk was that his team would start to really take form when he gets the whole group in a full training camp.

But what i'm concerned about, is that with his duties for Team USA, we're not going to have that same effect here. This would end up being the boilerplate excuse for they the 2016-2017 squad got off to a terrible start, made a nice little end of the season run after they were eliminated from contention, and drafted 9th overall while proclaiming 2017-2018 the year of the CBJ.

No one is really blaming that on fHCTR (Olympic assistant and Team USA head coach at Worlds last spring). Timing was different but we previously had a head coach involved with Team USA duties.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
No one is really blaming that on fHCTR (Olympic assistant and Team USA head coach at Worlds last spring). Timing was different but we previously had a head coach involved with Team USA duties.
The World Championships and the World Cup of Hockey are two totally different situations. While ex-HCTR was off coaching the Worlds, the rest of the team was on holiday and recuperating from he season.

The World Cup of Hockey is happening right around the time that training camp is wrapping up, and for the non-participants, they will be actively participating in practices while the event is going on. During that time, I'm sure Tortorella is likely going to have to hand off some of those duties to an assistant coach (likely someone he hires after he cleans house this offseason) that he knows will keep the guys in shape.

Not blaming Tortorella for any of this, obviously... but the concern is valid, right?

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Surprised Ohio State doesn't build a rink specifically for hockey. The Schott is a horrible hockey venue. Tear down St. John's arena and build a nice facility.

Then again, Ohio State will not do anything to support Columbus, CBJ/NHL or Hockey.

I would definitely go to the exhibition game if I can get tickets.

I agree LtL, I am surprised OSU hasn't built another six to eight thousand seat OSU Ice Rink. They would have a much easier time getting recruits if they could show them a packed arena for home games. The Schott is just a huge hole for college hockey.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

It's in their top 5 of priorities but that still could mean 10 years to happen. I believe the long term plan is to move the Jack Nicklaus museum and build the hockey rink there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad