Rumor: Columbus interested in Douggie Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
As I have read somewhere, Hamilton is looking huge deal in the range that an offer sheet would cost 3 1st rounders. Would need to be a pretty steep trade to acquire him and sign him since an outright offer sheet would give the Bruins a ton.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm sure we are. But I am also sure 30 other teams are interesting in Dougie Hamilton. Not happening

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The commentators weren't very flattering of Hamilton. Not saying I wouldn't want him but you damn well better be sure he's a top pair guy if you're going to trade a bunch for him and pay him a ton of money.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yikes. Really didn't want this to be its own thread as its more of a passing rumor than anything. Just thought I'd drop it off in the Rychel rumor thread in case there was a connection.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Yikes. Really didn't want this to be its own thread as its more of a passing rumor than anything. Just thought I'd drop it off in the Rychel rumor thread in case there was a connection.

It's how we do things here. Wouldn't worry about it.

Appreciate you passing it along.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The "happy medium" offer that one might expect is $7.3m/year for five years, which requires giving up next year's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Any more cash or term than that and 2017's 1st would also be included; much more than that and we hop straight to four 1sts.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd happily go for that, even though I think it extremely likely the Bruins would match. After all, Chara just this year started showing signs of regression and age, and not only is Hamilton his heir apparent, he's practically all they have in that direction. He's the sort of player you make room for, rather than move.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The "happy medium" offer that one might expect is $7.3m/year for five years, which requires giving up next year's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Any more cash or term than that and 2017's 1st would also be included; much more than that and we hop straight to four 1sts.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd happily go for that, even though I think it extremely likely the Bruins would match. After all, Chara just this year started showing signs of regression and age, and not only is Hamilton his heir apparent, he's practically all they have in that direction. He's the sort of player you make room for, rather than move.

I am really happy you aren't the Columbus GM.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's Boston's Joey. Wants to be paid like the star he projects to be before he gets there. Maybe he winds up with a Joey- 3-3-6 for 3 years which protects the Bruins with one more year of RFA (I think).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am really happy you aren't the Columbus GM.

When I actually see a trade or other acquisition proposal that is both 1) not a massive, insanely unbalanced ripoff in favor of the Jackets and 2) one you express mere ambivalence towards - not even acceptance or enthusiasm, just mere ambivalence - then perhaps I'll consider this to be useful criticism. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
When I actually see a trade or other acquisition proposal that is both 1) not a massive, insanely unbalanced ripoff in favor of the Jackets and 2) one you express mere ambivalence towards - not even acceptance or enthusiasm, just mere ambivalence - then perhaps I'll consider this to be useful criticism. :)

Hey, if you want to overpay like crazy for an unproven player and then pay that player way more than they are worth, go for it.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I don't buy it. Dougie is the cornerstone for the rebuild (awaiting Zs retirement). B's will probably move Lucic, even Rask before DH.

KlichkoBro*

Hamilton and Murray are the same age and I think that healthy Murray is a better defenseman. If you offer Hamilton $7+ mil. get ready to pay Murray as much next summer. Not a good idea at all.

KlichkoBro*

I don't know if you're serious or if you know who Dougie Hamilton is.
He's nowhere near Doughty or Shea Weber level. He's still struggling defensively and his smarts are questionable. We've just signed the team captain and NHL top-10 scorer to that $5.5 mil. contract and gave just $4 mil. a year to Ryan Johansen... How would they feel if Jarmo brought a 21 years old guy for 7 mil. a year?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
am i the only one having trouble with this only due to "Douggie"?

I actually wondered at what age he will be referred to as Doug earlier today. :laugh: Maybe we can just start calling him Hammy?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hamilton and Murray are the same age and I think that healthy Murray is a better defenseman. If you offer Hamilton $7+ mil. get ready to pay Murray as much next summer. Not a good idea at all.

This is a very smart comment.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

He's nowhere near Doughty or Shea Weber level. He's still struggling defensively and his smarts are questionable. We've just signed the team captain and NHL top-10 scorer to that $5.5 mil. contract and gave just $4 mil. a year to Ryan Johansen... How would they feel if Jarmo brought a 21 years old guy for 7 mil. a year?

Fair points.

Hamilton is going to get paid some day but he shouldn't be getting 7+ million AAV on this contract, especially not from the Jackets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Obviously some considerably smaller amount would be infinitely preferable, but we're talking about an offer sheet, here. Contemplating that possibility means you're going to be spending more than most would prefer. A trade is not a realistic option, because Hamilton is a huge part of Boston's future and so they'd demand even more than we'd give for that offer sheet.

Are there alternative approaches? Yes. Do I prefer several of them? Hell yeah. But this is one that's worth a try if others fail.

And if you want to compare team contracts, Bobrovsky's is higher. ;)

* * *​
I actually wondered at what age he will be referred to as Doug earlier today. :laugh: Maybe we can just start calling him Hammy?

At 87 years old, we still call Gordon "Mr. Hockey" Howe "Gordie". ;)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What is your plan to help get us top pair D?

Does it involve unproven players?

My plan is for us to continue to do what we have done and if a great player becomes available and we can afford it, great. Sorry, I am not a fan of throwing a bunch of assets and money at guys who are unproven or aren't what we need yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad