Speculation: Columbus defensemen

His Beardliness*

Some interest in Wisniewski. More interest in Tyutin (sadly on LTIR).

Wouldn't touch Johnson with a ten foot pole.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Nobody remembers Wisniewski telling off Detroit publicly when he signed with Columbus? He's not a Babcock player, even if he didn't already think we're a joke for lowballing him last time.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Nobody remembers Wisniewski telling off Detroit publicly when he signed with Columbus? He's not a Babcock player, even if he didn't already think we're a joke for lowballing him last time.

You're right everyone forgot about that...except for the 5+ people who mentioned it on the 1st page of this thread. :laugh:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Columbus made the playoffs last year and to most people's surprises are doing a lot worse this season, but to be fair, have a rash of injuries, tons of their youth slumping, and a down year for Bob. They'll be back where they were the last two years next season, likely.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I don't think this is as big of a deal as everyone's making it out to be. See: Chelios and Commodore.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They didn't lowball him, he was traded and signed a deal before free agency. His comments were akin to they would have lowballed me, but that offer never actually materialized though maybe his side got an indication during some tire kicking that they were going to do it.

The Wings didn't lowball Niskanen who is a player of similar ilk.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
For me, knowing Detroit’s history they don’t really pay the market value for a defenseman or any player. So I didn’t think that was going to be a fit for myself.” = cash > cup

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They didn't lowball him, he was traded and signed a deal before free agency. His comments were akin to they would have lowballed me, but that offer never actually materialized though maybe his side got an indication during some tire kicking that they were going to do it.

The Wings didn't lowball Niskanen who is a player of similar ilk.

I think at the time he made these comments, Holland had a much different outlook on free agency.

There were no rumors about us going after guys, the way he did this year. They opted for the bargain bin option every time, and sat on their hands, until the problem compounded until what it is today. And now Holland is willing to go out and pay "market price" for the same caliber defenseman.

I think Holland thought a few years back he could still pluck free agents for below market value just off of the luster of the Red Wings reputation. I think Wiz wasn't off based at the time. It matches up with how he seemed to be operating then. Good to see he has changed since, but number 1 gripe is he should have been more proactive with addressing the defense. Always has been since I joined this board.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Petry can't even crack the PP on Edmonton. Don't really see how he fills a void, and wouldn't give up much for him. Don't care if he's right handed, if you can't put up points and play the PP I don't see the point in trading for you. We have "minute munchers". We need "puck movers".

He's also a -16 this year, next worse d man is -8.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've understood he has a Michigan-born wife, so we have a good "suter-like" chance to sign him as an UFA?

But he's not Ryan Suter, and is he good enough to be another roadblock to the handful of kids looking to earn shots within the next couple of years? I don't think so, and would rather just go with XO/Jensen/etc. than sign a middle of the road D when what we need is a top pairing guy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see Petry as a PP player, but as right-handed 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. Just like Quincey, but righty, just to get our team one step towards perfect handness pairs.

Getting him just for money at next summer's free agency is a good deal. So would be getting Kindl out in a trade for him.

Not everybody wants to live where they grew up, so I wouldn't necessarily count on that angle.

Usually men won't care about their location where they earn their money, but women do care about their old friends and relatives...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't see Petry as a PP player, but as right-handed 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. Just like Quincey, but righty, just to get our team one step towards perfect handness pairs.

Getting him just for money at next summer's free agency is a good deal. So would be getting Kindl out in a trade for him.

i agree.

also, After a long offseason, Edmonton Oilers defenseman Jeff Petry is back home in Michigan.

The Ann Arbor native is skating in this week’s Michigan State hockey pro camp, held at Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing.
he still lives in area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad