Speculation: Columbus defensemen

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
With Columbus reverting back to the usual dumpster fire that they are, what's the interest level from Detroit in Johnson or Wisniewski?

I think either would be a nice addition. Plus, they're both locals and we know Ken likes that.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
With Columbus reverting back to the usual dumpster fire that they are, what's the interest level from Detroit in Johnson or Wisniewski?

I think either would be a nice addition. Plus, they're both locals and we know Ken likes that.

I loved Wisniewski when he played for Montreal, but he has really languished in Columbus for the past couple of years. Johnson is in a weird place, currently, with a bankruptcy caused by his parents of all things. So I don't know if I would want that kind of baggage, right now. But seeing as how we helped out Bertuzzi during his time, you gotta figure Holland would love to be able to grab Johnson and mold him back into a decent player again.

Of the two, though, I would have to go with Wisniewski. His upside on the PP is much higher and he is already more defensively responsible than Kindl and probably a smidge better than Quincey in that area.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wisniewski bashed Holland for low-balling free agents (though I think he had a point at the time), so don't see us being interested in him. Maybe they would get over it, if they could get a quality offensive defenseman though. Wiz can put up points, if nothing else.

JJ I have always liked, but feel like he would come with a big price tag.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Doesn't Wiz hate Detroit or something? Plus he's got a NMC and modified NTC so I doubt he'd waive to come here if he still harbours ill will. Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on JJ if the price isn't too bad.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Johnson is athletic as hell but he's not the cerebral type that we need on the back end. We need that thinking dman who sees the first pass.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Mike Green, please!

Washington is in 9th place, is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, and Green has played very well under Trotz. With the way their season went last year, I have a hard time imagining them trading him if they're in the race at the deadline. He also already makes $6.1M, so if he wants to stay in Washington, they could probably afford the modest raise he'd command.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Washington is in 9th place, is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, and Green has played very well under Trotz. With the way their season went last year, I have a hard time imagining them trading him if they're in the race at the deadline. He also already makes $6.1M, so if he wants to stay in Washington, they could probably afford the modest raise he'd command.

If they did that, they'd have to have the most expensive set of D men in the league :laugh:

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I'd take a flyer on JJ. He's got a booming shot and has some size and snarl. I agree that holland will not go after wisnewski.. Too much bridge burning there to repair.

crashman

Do you know why he hates Detroit? I've never heard this

I think people are just referring to a comment he made about Detroit not wanting to pay market value for players.

Plus, he played mostly for Anahiem and Chicago before signing with CBJ, two of Detroit's bigger rivals during that time. He's from Canton and has gone on record saying he wasn't a fan of the Wings growing up, which red flags him as an idiot.

Neither of these guys are very appealing though, I'd rather go after a guy like Petry, Schultz or Green (if available).

Last edited by a moderator:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
No interest in either of them.

All things considered, yeah.

Wiz is interesting because of his PP QB ability, but he sucks defensively, and does not want to play in Detroit anyway.

JMFJ is interesting because of his top-pairing upside, which we need, but he may never reach it, is too much of a project atm, and who knows how much of a distraction his financial drama might be.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I know his name has been getting thrown around a lot, but has anything changed regarding him not wanting to play here?

I expect not. He does NOT want to be in Detroit. Has gone to the extent to specifically state this to the media.

His name being on the trade block is debatable as its always fans who bring this up. But Wiz is not coming to Detroit EVER!

Think White X 5

He is a great player, he will just never play here.

JJ... ya underperforming his whole career compared to draft position. The cost would be entirely too high for basically just a really good Ericsson.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I know his name has been getting thrown around a lot, but has anything changed regarding him not wanting to play here?

Chelios didn't want to play here until he played here, though. Push comes to shove, I think most of guys can swallow their pride a bit to go somewhere they think they have a better shot at winning. I'm not sure how much of a fit we are with Columbus in making a trade, though. Wisniewski isn't a guy I'd want to sell the farm for at any rate.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Wisniewski has the opportunity to play for Detroit he'll come here. I have no doubt he doesn't want to play for Columbus anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad