TSN: Columbus Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau, 7 years 9.75 AAV

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Does anyone think it's possible that Philly tampered with Gaudreau? And that it got out and the NHL let them know that if they signed him, they'd be punished?

Otherwise it's very, very strange they didn't even make him an offer.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Does anyone think it's possible that Philly tampered with Gaudreau? And that it got out and the NHL let them know that if they signed him, they'd be punished?

I mean it's possible but I'm not sure how we'd find any more evidence to see it as anything beyond just "possible". If that is the case there's a chance we'd never know for years so for now I'll just stick with the information we've got on it I guess. On 32 Thoughts Friedman said the Flyers FO was genuinely torn on whether it was the right move to sign him to a deal, with apparently a lot of them thinking they need to get their stuff together before signing a big FA. I don't think EF's explanation is so improbable that it must be something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I don’t think it’s strange. They had no cap space. They had a bad team, and didn’t want to sell off draft picks/prospects in order to dump salaries to sign him.

Would you sign Gaudreau and he potentially forced to part with JVR+Provorov/someone else for multiple firsts + prospects attached? That’s pretty risky for a team that was pretty bad last year. Does Gaudreau make them a contender? I don’t think so, personally, and I don’t think their ownership/GM did either.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Is it possible? Sure. It’s also possible Johnny fell and hit his head and said Columbus by mistake when he meant to say Calgary.

Or aliens. It is possible that aliens wanted Johnny Hockey in Columbus.

1663177427173.png

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

If the NHL was aware that a team was tampering with a player on another team and all they did when they found out was warn that team not to sign that player I would think that would create an issue the NHL wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of. I want to believe that that team would get more than merely a warning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad