Columbus Blue Jackets added NHL players at 2008 Draft despite whiff at sixth overall

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Columbus Blue Jackets entered the 2008 NHL Entry Draft as a team in rebuilding mode. The 2007-08 season was the first full year for Mike Priest as President and Scott Howson as General Manager of the club, and because he became GM just prior to the 2007 Draft, the 2008 class was one of Howson's first chances to make a mark on the future of the franchise.

The new regime hovered around .500 during the 2007-08 season but missed the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season. Late in the season, captain Adam Foote was traded to Colorado and Rick Nash was named the fifth captain in team history.… read more

More...

bizzz*

Matt Calvert, Cam Atkinson, Cody Goloubef, Tomas Kubalik.

I don't care if we forfeited the first round pick; that is a good draft. Suggesting otherwise is lunacy.

I'm glad you're posting here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Matt Calvert, Cam Atkinson, Cody Goloubef, Tomas Kubalik.

I don't care if we forfeited the first round pick; that is a good draft. Suggesting otherwise is lunacy.

First off it was a joke.

Second point, in typical Jacket fan methodology I think you have jumped the gun in evaluating the results. CAM looks good but lets wait until he plays at least a full season. Calvert is showing some good 4th line potential. Golubef has been outstanding in his 5 NHL games. Kubalik? Meh.

Could it turn out this was a very good class? Yes. Has it achieved such status? Not yet.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
First off it was a joke.

Second point, in typical Jacket fan methodology I think you have jumped the gun in evaluating the results. CAM looks good but lets wait until he plays at least a full season. Calvert is showing some good 4th line potential. Golubef has been outstanding in his 5 NHL games. Kubalik? Meh.

Could it turn out this was a very good class? Yes. Has it achieved such status? Not yet.

For late round picks, it is already a success. Anything from this point forward is a bonus. How often can a team have 5 player from round 5 on still be in the mix 5 years later? I am not sure how many times I can say this could be considered the best draft we ever had 15 years after. Even if 3 of the 5 end up as role players, it was an outstanding draft. Golo has never been off my radar.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
For late round picks, it is already a success. Anything from this point forward is a bonus. How often can a team have 5 player from round 5 on still be in the mix 5 years later? I am not sure how many times I can say this could be considered the best draft we ever had 15 years after. Even if 3 of the 5 end up as role players, it was an outstanding draft. Golo has never been off my radar.

I would have to agree that when you have this many late rounders either in the NHL, or still showing NHL potential, you have had a very good draft. How much of that is from drafting skill, or just plain luck is another matter. Probably a little of both.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Heres a few interesting facts about the Jackets drafting history

2005 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Gilbert Brule with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Kopitar 11th and M Stall 12th

2006 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Derek Brassard with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Okposo 7th Grabner 14th, Claude Giroux 22nd

2007 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Jakub Voracuk with the 7th Overall Pick, Pass on Logan Couture 9th, Ryan McDonough 12th, Lars Eller 13th, Shattenkirk 14th, Pacioretty 22nd

2008 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Nikita Filitov with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Myers 12th, Erik Karlson Karlsson, Jake Gardiner 17th, Jordan Eberle 22nd

2009 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select John Moore with the 22nd Overall Pick, Nice Selection!

2010 NHL Entry Draft- Select Ryan Johanson with the 4th Overall Pick, Pass on Skinner 7th Overall, Cam Fowler 12th Overall

Well I have no idea how Howson still has a job! The most alarming to me had to have ben the 08 draft. I know there were probably some worse drafts like the Zherdev class but this is absolutely appalling. I believe in the guy we got from the Blues he did an excellent job there! lets hope he can work his magic here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

2005 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Gilbert Brule with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Kopitar 11th and M Stall 12th

2006 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Derek Brassard with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Okposo 7th Grabner 14th, Claude Giroux 22nd

2007 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Jakub Voracuk with the 7th Overall Pick, Pass on Logan Couture 9th, Ryan McDonough 12th, Lars Eller 13th, Shattenkirk 14th, Pacioretty 22nd

2008 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select Nikita Filitov with the 6th Overall Pick, Pass on Myers 12th, Erik Karlson Karlsson, Jake Gardiner 17th, Jordan Eberle 22nd

2009 NHL Entry Draft- Jackets Select John Moore with the 22nd Overall Pick, Nice Selection!

2010 NHL Entry Draft- Select Ryan Johanson with the 4th Overall Pick, Pass on Skinner 7th Overall, Cam Fowler 12th Overall

Well I have no idea how Howson still has a job! The most alarming to me had to have ben the 09 draft. I know there were probably some worse drafts like the Zherdev class but this is absolutely appalling. I believe in the guy we got from the Blues he did an excellent job there! lets hope he can work his magic here.

Thanks!

Sweet, hindsight. Do that same exercise for most GM's that pick outside of #4 and get back with us when you've fired pretty much every GM out there.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Did the pro-Howson crowd ghost write this? :laugh:

Doesn't seem like a Mayor Bee or Viqsi post. I've probably read 15k + combined posts so I think I know what I'm talking about!

Filatov probably goes into the top 5 most hated CBJ people by CBJ fans. Candidates include:
-Filatov
-Foote
-Zherdev
-Krzysztof Oliwa
-Jan Hrdina
-Bryan Berard
-Doug Maclean

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Well I have no idea how Howson still has a job! The most alarming to me had to have ben the 09 draft. I know there were probably some worse drafts like the Zherdev class but this is absolutely appalling. I believe in the guy we got from the Blues he did an excellent job there! lets hope he can work his magic here.

Thanks!

2005/2006 were Maclean drafts. Voracek was transitioned into J. Johnson. Not sure I'd write off Johansen. I don't understand why the "09 draft" was "most alarming" and "absolutely appalling", but you seemed happy about Moore.

Hard to say of those other players drafted by other teams would have same success on the CBJ. They may have been put in situation where teammates and development could help them succeed. It's also part of the joy of drafting no better than 4th. You miss out on the sure thing franchise players. Of course, it all seems obvious looking back though.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Howson does well in the late rounds, but I would agree that he has done poorly overall with his first round picks (most notably Filatov). What swings me into his camp is his fine work on trades...this coming from a fan that hated to let Methot go.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio

Thanks!

And how many people lose their jobs if those picks are swapped? As said, it's easy to look back, but at the time, these picks were almost all locks.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Doesn't seem like a Mayor Bee or Viqsi post. I've probably read 15k + combined posts so I think I know what I'm talking about!

Filatov probably goes into the top 5 most hated CBJ people by CBJ fans. Candidates include:
-Filatov
-Foote
-Zherdev
-Krzysztof Oliwa
-Jan Hrdina
-Bryan Berard
-Doug Maclean

You forgot Carter. :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You forgot Carter. :)

Might be a fun new thread, we risk going way too OT on this one.

However, to this thread I don't hate Filatov. I am disappointed that he decided to waste his god given talent.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What's rather striking is that Goloubef, Calvert, Atkinson and Collins are all really just starting to live up to their potential as pros now, while Filatov is a bust..

Had Filatov signed a 2 year contract in the KHL before the draft and stayed and developed, he never would have been drafted 6th overall. Some playoff team would have snagged him late in the 1st round and he wouldn't have probably seen the NHL until last season.

The fact he said all the right things about wanting to play in the NHL made him a good pick, but that was the absolute worst thing for his development. Howson didn't have the option of sending him to the OHL until November when Sudbury spent a fortune to get a transfer from Russia for him. Sudbury had to have thought he was going to be play to do that and waste the 1st overall import pick on him. Has Filatov spent 2 years in the OHL and then a year in the AHL, things might have been different, but then he wasn't exactly willing to work to be an NHL player.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Thanks!

According to Gare Joyce, Columbus had Giroux rated 11th on their board, which is probably the highest anyone had him. If the Rangers didn't take Bobby Sanguinetti, who Philly was going to take in the next spot, there's a good chance that Giroux falls to the second round and is scooped up by the CBJ.

The NHL's central scouting had him as the 38th-rated North American skater. If he'd been taken 6th overall by Columbus, there'd have been a riot. Look at what happened with the Kings taking Thomas Hickey (who was nowhere close to as big of a reach as what Giroux would have been).

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't want to derail this into another Filatov debate, but watching him, listening to him, as well as some other sources of information, you could have let him "develop" in the KHL forever and it wouldn't have mattered one iota as far as his eventual career in the NHL.

This kid has every tool he needs, but one. The most important one, the one between his ears. I also question the one in his chest, but I was willing to let that one develop a bit more before final judgement.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
According to Gare Joyce, Columbus had Giroux rated 11th on their board, which is probably the highest anyone had him. If the Rangers didn't take Bobby Sanguinetti, who Philly was going to take in the next spot, there's a good chance that Giroux falls to the second round and is scooped up by the CBJ.

The NHL's central scouting had him as the 38th-rated North American skater. If he'd been taken 6th overall by Columbus, there'd have been a riot. Look at what happened with the Kings taking Thomas Hickey (who was nowhere close to as big of a reach as what Giroux would have been).

Interesting, this was in his 'future greats and heartbreaks' book?

Giroux may or may not have become the player he is with Columbus development program at the time.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Sweet, hindsight. Do that same exercise for most GM's that pick outside of #4 and get back with us when you've fired pretty much every GM out there.

When you have that many top 10 picks that dont pan out the Howson intended them to do its time for change. I understand that CBJ is under rebuild mode in all but it seems we have been retooling since 2009 after the playoff run. I understand that rebuilds dont happen overnight but I have not even gained a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel. I am very pleased with the hire from St Loui but I feel we are no where close to the end of the long rocky road that is the Blue jackets rebuild.

Even though last night was great! :naughty:

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
2005/2006 were Maclean drafts. Voracek was transitioned into J. Johnson. Not sure I'd write off Johansen. I don't understand why the "09 draft" was "most alarming" and "absolutely appalling", but you seemed happy about Moore.

Hard to say of those other players drafted by other teams would have same success on the CBJ. They may have been put in situation where teammates and development could help them succeed. It's also part of the joy of drafting no better than 4th. You miss out on the sure thing franchise players. Of course, it all seems obvious looking back though.

My Bad I meant 08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad