Prospect Info: Colton White -D- (97th Overall 2015)

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
a defenseman. okay.

Also wore #8 for London Jr. Knights Gold Min Mdgt in 2011-12. White is a smart defenseman who skates well and makes good passes. He was buried on a deep Soo team this season so his numbers are lower then they could have been on a weaker team. He is not overly physical on the backend but has a good stick and is often in the right position to break up the play. Could potentially break out next season and could be a smart pick in the later rounds. (Tyler Parchem, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=204911#sthash.CbGHro1Q.dpuf

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Sault St. Marie were loaded this year with young prospects.

People kept saying guys like Senyshyn and White were sleepers that could break out the next couple years when they get more time.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sounds like a bit of a project. Potential late bloomer.

Now that Darnell Nurse has returned, White's role is most likely to decrease a bit, but there's no denying how impressive the 2nd year defender has looked. He's paired with Import Gustaf Bouramman (#23) and been the rock to Bouramman's offensive freedom. He's seeing lots of time on the penalty kill and has impressed with his defensive awareness and ability to read opposing forwards. He's also shown an ability to make a good first pass too and probably has more offensive potential than he's showing right now.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2014/10/early-season-top-30-for-2015-nhl-entry.html

White is more than what his numbers suggest. I see an incredibly raw product who has massive potential. He's an absolutely terrific skater and as he gains confidence in his ability to rush the puck, I see that becoming a big part of his game. It's a numbers game and the Hounds have an exceptionally deep defence. Eventually, he's going to be counted on to play a larger role and that's when we'll see his game grow. But with size and mobility, this young defender could be a real diamond in the rough.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/01/midseason-top-30-for-2015-nhl-entry.html

"He has all of the attributes we want in our defencemen," said Greyhounds head coach Sheldon Keefe. "He can make a pass, join the rush, and he has incredible poise."

Asked what he projects in the future for White, a six-foot, 180-pounder, Keefe didn’t hold back.

"He’s got a bright future in this league," the coach said. "And if he keeps developing, beyond this level."

White considers his skating ability and hockey sense to be among his strengths as a player.

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/09/18/colton-white-an-up-and-comer

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Another great skater

Shero knows we need speed

Yes, the Devils seem to be focusing on picking good skaters, which I think is wise given how the slowness of our team (particularly forwards) has hampered this team the past few seasons.

As for this pick, I like getting another left defenseman into the system, and hopefully the breakout people are projecting for him can occur.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A LHD with upside, they got exactly what I asked for...I hope that's a good thing :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Really like this pick as well.

People moaning because we didn't take a forward, but it really sounds like this kid could be a steal and we are thin on the left side. Plus if we really do end up trading Merrill it makes it easier since we can fill the hole inside not to far down the road.

So many were ready to take Ivan at 6, not sure why one would be upset about this.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2015_21.html?m=1

21. Colton White - Defence - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Absolutely massive potential. White is just scratching the surface of what he's capable of in the OHL. He's a fantastic skater who only needs a few strides to get to full speed when exiting his own zone. At times this year, he showed an ability to gain entry into the offensive end with ease, but simply needs to gain the confidence to do this with regularity. I think he also profiles as a power play quarterback based on his ability to keep pucks in at the blue line and by how well he sees the ice on the point. Improving his shot will be critical though. Defensively, he uses his mobility to stay ahead of forwards off the rush and is not afraid of taking the body to take forwards out of the play. Adding strength is a priority to make him more efficient in the corners, but he shows great determination in his own end. Really all he needs is greater ice time. Once he starts getting consistent power play time and off the 3rd pairing, he could breakout in a big way. Could be part of the top pairing in SSM next year with Gustav Bouramman (a guy he showed great chemistry with this year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad