Prospect Info: Colton Parayko

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I would say Pietrangelo is on the second pairing. Throughout the playoffs Parayko - Bouwmeester got the highest percentage of 5v5 ice time and the hardest matchups.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I would say Pietrangelo is on the second pairing. Throughout the playoffs Parayko - Bouwmeester got the highest percentage of 5v5 ice time and the hardest matchups.
I honestly don't know that we have a defined "1st and 2nd" right D. The difference in even strength ice time between Petro/Parayko is about 45 seconds per game and they were only a 9 shift difference between the 2 over the entire playoffs. Petro is out there when we were chasing goals and Parayko is out there when we are trying to suffocate the other team's top players. I think we have our #1 shutdown guy and our #1 two-way guy. When you have two RD playing 23+ per night, at a certain point you are just rolling them back and forth.

Call them what you want, but both of them are vitally important to the team. Our playoff success was due in large part because we were able to have a top 20 NHL D man on the ice for 80% or more of every game. There is absolutely no reason that we can't continue doing that for at least 5 more years, which is amazing.

Someone else said that Parayko has a chance to get into that top 20 D group this year, but I firmly believe he is in it already. Here's #10-20 of NHL.com's list of top 20 D men last summer:

Klingberg, Byfuglien, Werenski, Letang, Suter, Ekman-Larsson, Krug, Gostisbehere, Hamilton, McAvoy, and Ellis.

Ignore age or contracts. How many of those guys are you taking over Parayko for next season? I sure as hell am not taking all of them over Parayko. Petro was #9 on that list, so Parayko sliding into that group gives us 2 in the top 20.

Last edited:

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
League-wide I would still put Pie in a tier ahead of Parayko. Parayko had an amazing playoffs as a whole, but I for one thought he was our worst player in game 7 of the final. Super jitters in the 1st period.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I honestly don't know that we have a defined "1st and 2nd" right D. The difference in even strength ice time between Petro/Parayko is about 45 seconds per game and they were only a 9 shift difference between the 2 over the entire playoffs. Petro is out there when we were chasing goals and Parayko is out there when we are trying to suffocate the other team's top players. I think we have our #1 shutdown guy and our #1 two-way guy. When you have two RD playing 23+ per night, at a certain point you are just rolling them back and forth.

Call them what you want, but both of them are vitally important to the team. Our playoff success was due in large part because we were able to have a top 20 NHL D man on the ice for 80% or more of every game. There is absolutely no reason that we can't continue doing that for at least 5 more years, which is amazing.
Yeah you're right both great and both play huge minutes no need to label who is on the first or second pairing.

League-wide I would still put Pie in a tier ahead of Parayko. Parayko had an amazing playoffs as a whole, but I for one thought he was our worst player in game 7 of the final. Super jitters in the 1st period.
I was basing the pairings on usage.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad