Prospect Info: Colton Parayko

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We tend to talk about Schmaltz, Vennelli, and the guys in the AHL, but I am really impressed by this kid. 19 points so far which is very good for a dman. 3rd in dmen scoring in the WCHA, 2 have 20. He has size and skills to be an NHLer some day.

This is hockeysfuture - we should be more focused on the kids then we have been.

Has anyone seen him play - can comment on him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't really know much about him. I found a couple of Youtube videos. The way he talks reminds me a lot of JBo :laugh: He seems very reserved, but he was selected to be an assistant captain on his team as a sophomore when the rest of the leadership group is comprised of seniors. He must be doing something right in the locker room.

EDIT: He also leads the team in +/- and blocked shots and is tied for the team lead in PP goals with 4(all 4 of his goals have come on the PP). His stats look pretty nice, but stats don't always tell the whole story.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
From what I've read, I'm excited about this guy too. I don't know how physical his game is, but he is very strong and muscular (I read that he has very little body fat). If he develops a mean streak (if he doesn't have one already), he could be a crease-clearer with offensive abilities (something the Blues haven't had in a while, although Cole has the "potential" to be that kind of player). The odds are still against him making the NHL, but he's definitely heading in the right direction. If everything goes right for him (realizing that things rarely go right for a lot of prospects), do folks think he has the potential to be a top 4 guy, or is his potential capped as a bottom pairing d-man?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
They drafted him out of the Alberta league, right? I remember someone chiming in when we made that pick who'd seen him play that we'd gotten a huge steal. Hard to say what his game will be until he hits the AHL, and probably with Hakanpaa and Edmundson (and others) there he wouldn't get as many minutes right away. You'd think he'd spend at least his junior year at Alaska.

On the crease clearer thing, I kinda hope he isn't, because that's not how the game is played any more. Crease clearers would spend all game in the box for interference, cross-checking and the like. A physical fronting presence? Yes, hope so.

Agree with Frenzy that we should talk about prospects more and now with the Olympic break looming is a decent time to do this. We should revisit our prospect rankings we generated prior to the season and see how we'd move guys up or down. Still get a kick out of the out of date prospect scroll.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, he was drafted out if the AJHL. Easily could've played in the WHL but he played AJHL to maintain his NCAA eligibility. Personally, I think he's way underrated around here. I've only seen him play twice on tv this year but he was impressive both times. Big, strong, smart and good instincts both offensively and defensively. He will be much easier to project once he gets to the AHL but he's severely underrated around here I think simply because he was a 4th round pick. He certainly has NHL potential IMO.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Oh course he is right handed..... Couldn't possibly be a lefty.

Does anyone remember the late 90's/early 2000's where the Blues were always looking for RH dmen? Kind of ironic.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I don't really know much about him. I found a couple of Youtube videos. The way he talks reminds me a lot of JBo :laugh: He seems very reserved, but he was selected to be an assistant captain on his team as a sophomore when the rest of the leadership group is comprised of seniors. He must be doing something right in the locker room.

EDIT: He also leads the team in +/- and blocked shots and is tied for the team lead in PP goals with 4(all 4 of his goals have come on the PP). His stats look pretty nice, but stats don't always tell the whole story.

He is definitely a big fish in a little pond. I kind of hope he gets signed this offseason, he needs to be challenged more than 1B College hockey. Then again, he could get buried in Chicago next year if he were to go there.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado

I don't think I have ever met one person named Colton in my life and there are 2 in this video :laugh:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He is definitely a big fish in a little pond. I kind of hope he gets signed this offseason, he needs to be challenged more than 1B College hockey. Then again, he could get buried in Chicago next year if he were to go there.

1B? really? what about last year? his freshman year he looked great when i saw him live against miami

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
1B? really? what about last year? his freshman year he looked great when i saw him live against miami

Not to say that he doesnt play well against good teams, but the overall skill level of the WCHA is well below that of most of D1 hockey and the CHL. By my count, there are only 8 drafted players in the entire conference, including Parayko. I bet there are a lot of top NCAA or CHL teams that have more than that by themselves.

He just isnt playing against the best players his age on a week to week basis, and I think that is going to hurt his development at some point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive known Colton for a while now, so Im happy hes getting recognized by Blues fans. Here are my two cents on him:

He grew like a tree over the past two years. He used to be a taller, lanky guy in highschool, but grew to 6'4, maybe 6'5 recently, but also put on some weight. He is a quite kid, but has an insane work ethic, and has a bit of a mean streak.

He is a very humble kid, but has the drive to make it in professional hockey. There have been a couple prospects from the St.Albert/Edmonton/Sher wood park area, but he has the most potential/ drive out of all of them.

I haven't seen him play much, so I cant comment on that. But I think he will surprise people next camp, and has some NHL potential.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not to say that he doesnt play well against good teams, but the overall skill level of the WCHA is well below that of most of D1 hockey and the CHL. By my count, there are only 8 drafted players in the entire conference, including Parayko. I bet there are a lot of top NCAA or CHL teams that have more than that by themselves.

He just isnt playing against the best players his age on a week to week basis, and I think that is going to hurt his development at some point.

i understand what your saying. Your just a little misinformed though. There are a ton of guys in college hockey that are not drafted that are better and i mean wayyy better than guys that are drafted.

Let me break it down for ya:

Miami of ohio(drafted players):
Kuraly 5th rd SJ
Coleman 3rd rd NJ
Barber 6th Round Wsh(same year as kuraly)
Mullin (4th rounder)
Louis(6th rounder)

Undrafted(notables)
Czarnik
murphy
Caito
Williams
Mckay
Paulides
Morris
Gacek
Greenberg
Paulazzo

I watch the team almost everyday and most likely have a better grasp on the talent level of all the players more than fans and the average hf'er.

My rankings of the best players on the team:
Czarnik
Barber(Drafted)
Caito
Coleman(drafted)
Kuraly(Drafted)
Murphy
Louis(drafted)
Paulazzo
Paulides
Gacek
Mullin(drafted)
greenberg
Morris

obviously i'd have to change the rankings based on role. But my point is don't just look at teams rosters based on nhl draftees. You have to watch them play and see the guys the NHL missed out on, or guys that peaked later or guys taht just it made no sense they weren't drafted lmao.... size..... i guess.... like.. Austin Czarnik should've been drafted and for Minnesota Sam Warning.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
i understand what your saying. Your just a little misinformed though. There are a ton of guys in college hockey that are not drafted that are better and i mean wayyy better than guys that are drafted.

Let me break it down for ya:

Miami of ohio(drafted players):
Kuraly 5th rd SJ
Coleman 3rd rd NJ
Barber 6th Round Wsh(same year as kuraly)
Mullin (4th rounder)
Louis(6th rounder)

Undrafted(notables)
Czarnik
murphy
Caito
Williams
Mckay
Paulides
Morris
Gacek
Greenberg
Paulazzo

I watch the team almost everyday and most likely have a better grasp on the talent level of all the players more than fans and the average hf'er.

My rankings of the best players on the team:
Czarnik
Barber(Drafted)
Caito
Coleman(drafted)
Kuraly(Drafted)
Murphy
Louis(drafted)
Paulazzo
Paulides
Gacek
Mullin(drafted)
greenberg
Morris

obviously i'd have to change the rankings based on role. But my point is don't just look at teams rosters based on nhl draftees. You have to watch them play and see the guys the NHL missed out on, or guys that peaked later or guys taht just it made no sense they weren't drafted lmao.... size..... i guess.... like.. Austin Czarnik should've been drafted and for Minnesota Sam Warning.

Perhaps my example was a bit off. Im just saying that there isnt a lot of high end talent in the WCHA.

There are over 190 college hockey players who have been drafted, and 8 are playing in the WCHA. The most talented players will tend to gravitate to the NE or northern schools. Their players are bigger, faster, and more like what you are going to play against in the pros.The WCHA is largely second/third tier of hockey recruits. Very little elite talent is playing in the WCHA. The average player in the WCHA is a half step below his counterpart in the NCHC/HE/ECAC. WCHA teams are 25-44-12 outside of their conference. Its a less competitive level of talent than I want one of my better prospects playing in.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Most likely will have a very good season in Alaska NCAA next season. Look to St. Louis possibly signing him after. Quietly becoming one of the more talked about NCAA players and I strongly think the nation will know the name Parayko by mid season next year. I have said it before that St. Louis found a gem with this kid and if he was playing at a big named University, there would be a ridiculous amount of hype with him.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The Hakanpaa thread got me thinking about some of the other prospects that are seldom mentioned. Anyone seen Colton play this year? Everything I've read about him sounds very impressive(almost too impressive) but I've yet to see him actually play.

I'm honestly curious about his weaknesses more than his strengths. Everything I've seen make him seem like the perfect Dman(huge, fast, leader, competent offensively with a big shot) but there have to be some flaws in his game or he'd be sporting the Blue Note right now.

Thanks for any information.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Hilarious!

I searched the forum for Parayko threads and found none and even went 6 pages deep and found nothing. Wanted to post this exact same thing.

Is he NHL-ready? He's 21 years old and is in his 3rd college season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
From what I've read, he is a specimen, very very promising prospect. I think his skating took a hit when he exploded in size but from this year he is still one of the best skaters on his team. His shot is very hard (100+mph)also.

I really don't know why he's not more exposed, I'd guess because he's in Alaska. I thiiiink I read he's likely to turn pro next year.

All accounts say he should be an absolute steal.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Hopefully he can become the next Shea Weber. Very wishful thinking but with his size and a shot like he has it isn't out of the question. He should be a pretty polished player coming out of the NCAA.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I was impressed the 2 games of his I saw on tv last season but I haven't seen him once this season...and I'll also note that you never get the full picture of how someone plays when watching on TV vs live (especially for d-men) so I don't have a great scouting report on the kid.

He's a Jr and seems to have proven himself at the NCAA level. Not much else to learn there. Same with Schmaltz IMO. I'm hopeful both turn pro and will be with the Wolves next season.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I was impressed the 2 games of his I saw on tv last season but I haven't seen him once this season...and I'll also note that you never get the full picture of how someone plays when watching on TV vs live (especially for d-men) so I don't have a great scouting report on the kid.

He's a Jr and seems to have proven himself at the NCAA level. Not much else to learn there. Same with Schmaltz IMO. I'm hopeful both turn pro and will be with the Wolves next season.
If both turn pro next season we are going to have a logjam in Chicago next season, which might actually force us to re-evaluate some older prospects. I can't see either Parayko or Schmaltz turning pro and then going to the ECHL. They would be better off staying in the NCAA. With Lindbohm, Shields, Hakanpaa, Edmundson and Regner already in Chicago, something is going to have to give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad