Proposal: Colorado - Vegas

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Colorado needs offensive power and Vegas need cap.

Colorado get:

- Nikita Gusev ( RFA extended at 5 x 5M )
- David Clarkson 5,25M/1yr

Vegas get:

- Colorado 2020 2nd rnd pick

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I would do it as Colorado.

Edit: I don’t see Vegas doing it though. Getting rid of Clarkson negates the need to trade abuses. They could sign him at that point.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm still not convinced that Gusev is going to come to the NHL and repeat what he's done in the KHL, so I wouldn't want him on that contract. He's definitely interesting, but I'd want the term to be 2 years or less.

I'd also want the pick to be conditional on the number of NHL points Gusev scores next year. If he's only a 25-30 pt guy in the NHL, the pick becomes a 3rd (or 4th).

Reactions: Foppberg

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I would do it as Colorado.

Edit: I don’t see Vegas doing it though. Getting rid of Clarkson negates the need to trade abuses. They could sign him at that point.

Nobody is taking Clarkson without a sweetener. Unloading Clarkson, with say a 2nd attached to him, still have them 4M over the cap if they sign Gusev and they actually already have a very good top6.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm still not convinced that Gusev is going to come to the NHL and repeat what he's done in the KHL, so I wouldn't want him on that contract. He's definitely interesting, but I'd want the term to be 2 years or less.

I'd also want the pick to be conditional on the number of NHL points Gusev scores next year. If he's only a 25-30 pt guy in the NHL, the pick becomes a 3rd (or 4th).

Gusev has been the real deal for years now. Best player in the KHL and one of the best on their national team, even when all NHLers are playing. There is actually not a chance he wouldnt pan out.

Olympics he is 6gp 2.0 PPG
WC he is 24gp 1.42 PPG
KHL he is 391gp 0.85PPG ( Last 3yrs actually 1.3PPG )

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I’d be agreeable to this as a base

You only make the trade if you want to bet on his upside as a risk, so not sure the suggested conditional is needed

This is a lot like the Grubauer trade and I think it’d work for both sides

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would hate to add $10m for one player (not named Panarin) this off-season. That would force us to trade Barrie for forward help.

But what the hell. Why not?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Gusev has been the real deal for years now. Best player in the KHL and one of the best on their national team, even when all NHLers are playing. There is actually not a chance he wouldnt pan out.

Olympics he is 6gp 2.0 PPG
WC he is 24gp 1.42 PPG
KHL he is 391gp 0.85PPG ( Last 3yrs actually 1.3PPG )

Yes, he's very talented. But the KHL isn't the NHL. Playing in the US isn't playing at home in Russia. So I'd still like to see him succeed in the NHL before we give him a 5 year deal.

And if Vegas is so confident that he'll succeed in the NHL, my condition on the pick shouldn't be an issue for them.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Given the rumor that the 5OA pick was being dangled to take Clarkson makes this seem very underwhelming. I assume the Avs were one who declined that at the draft.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I would hate to add $10m for one player (not named Panarin) this off-season. That would force us to trade Barrie for forward help.

But what the hell. Why not?

Clarksons base salary is 1M only and he has 1yr left on that contract. You let Vegas pay the 3,5M signing bonus and do the trade after that. There are reasonable good forwards at 2-2,5M in UFA like Filppula and Donskoi. Both pretty good pkers too.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Gusev isn't signing a long term deal, and Vegas isn't moving him to get rid of the Clarkson contract.

Are you Gusevs agent or where do you get this "not signing a long deal" from?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Clarksons base salary is 1M only and he has 1yr left on that contract. You let Vegas pay the 3,5M signing bonus and do the trade after that. There are reasonable good forwards at 2-2,5M in UFA like Filppula and Donskoi. Both pretty good pkers too.
No one cares about the base salary. Its the $5.25M in cap that the Knights want off their books. Sure they'll settle for what you said, but ideally they get it all off their books and the Knights will have to pay teams a ton to make that happen.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yes, he's very talented. But the KHL isn't the NHL. Playing in the US isn't playing at home in Russia. So I'd still like to see him succeed in the NHL before we give him a 5 year deal.

And if Vegas is so confident that he'll succeed in the NHL, my condition on the pick shouldn't be an issue for them.

I`d rather bet on him straight away, than giving him a 1-2yr deal. If he suddenly gets 70-80p he will demand 8M+ and given he would be UFA then he would 99% choose where he signs. There is no point signing him to less than 3-5yrs as he goes to UFA status after next contract

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No one cares about the base salary. Its the $5.25M in cap that the Knights want off their books. Sure they'll settle for what you said, but ideally they get it all off their books and the Knights will have to pay teams a ton to make that happen.

Owners care about 3,5M. Colorado has the space and you rather take on a contract you can bury for a year than give away valuable picks or prospects if you dont have too. VGK have their top6 set so Gusev is expendable. They Still wont give him cheap though. I rather take Gusev for 5M than Panarin at 11M. I have seen the guy play a tonne and Im sure he will succeed in NHL. His strongest parts of the game is his IQ and powerplay-ability. The guys that not succeed coming overboard are the once who cant think and change their game for small ice.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Owners care about 3,5M. Colorado has the space and you rather take on a contract you can bury for a year than give away valuable picks or prospects if you dont have too. VGK have their top6 set so Gusev is expendable. They Still wont give him cheap though. I rather take Gusev for 5M than Panarin at 11M. I have seen the guy play a tonne and Im sure he will succeed in NHL. His strongest parts of the game is his IQ and powerplay-ability. The guys that not succeed coming overboard are the once who cant think and change their game for small ice.
This is exactly what Toronto fans insisted on for Marleau and they still had to give up a first to move him

Teams really don’t care. It’s only really an advantage when trying to get to the cap floor. They clearly don’t negotiate with any real care for it in a trade

Cap space is a valuable commodity now.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hasn't Nigel Dawes been running the KHL for a decade now? I dont really trust that league and how we assume it will translate to the NHL.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Hasn't Nigel Dawes been running the KHL for a decade now? I dont really trust that league and how we assume it will translate to the NHL.

I havent seen Dawes postin 2.0PPG at the Olympics and 1.42PPG at WC... Dawes was speed and hands as Gusev uses his head more. Gusev is more of a high-IQ playmaker who makes the players around him better. He can also finnish plays though

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad