• Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Cherry picking years is not a good comparison, probably a better idea to give a range of years. Like I said, I know the skilled guys of those years can hang in today's game, but can the skilled guys from today's game deal with all the hits, clutching, and grabbing? Hard to say.

I think there’s some merit to the idea of looking at the quality of the player over the quality of the season. The Canucks are obviously running hotter than usual this year (Boeser shouldn’t be counted on to get the 40 goals he’ll likely end up with), and someone like Kariya missed time and never got settled, but there was no obvious reason for him not being better. I don’t think we can always look at surrounding seasons either though, as I think Selanne’s knee was never going to be good at that time, and his resurgence was due to getting it fixed due to the lockout. And guys like Hughes and Hoglander I think are reaching new levels.

I agree the skill guys can hang today, but I think the reverse is a question for the defensemen. Can Foote, Ohlund and Blake be as effective defensively/intimidation if they can hook and hold and grab as often as they did, and there’s more concern for high or late hits?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Wow this is a surprising result. Thought it would be closed down rather soon due to lopsided in favor of the oldies. 2004 was actually a down year for me in following hockey so maybe my memory of those players are more affected with what they were 2000-2003 or so. But man, just looking at the names this poll result is confusing to say the least.

Just looking at the top 6 and top 4 (in general as players):

Naslund > Pettersson
Forsberg > MacKinnon
Hejduk < Rantanen
Kariya > Boeser
Sakic > Miller
Selanne > Drouin
Ohlund < Hughes
Blake ~< Makar
Foote ~< Toews
Jovanovski > Hronek

And then the forward depth is a lot better for 2004 as well.
2004 kariya and selanne sucked

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I hope you know Selänne played injured the whole year. Without the lockout he`d been retired. In 2005-2006 he put up 90p and 40g, In 2006-2007 94p and 48g.

Look above ^
i know but he still sucked in 2004 and wouldn't take him or kariya over 2024 drouin and boeser

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
i know but he still sucked in 2004 and wouldn't but him or kariya over 2024 drouin and boeser
It should rather be the players on said teams that year, without injuries. Landy should also be an option on 2024. If a player is injured, "suck" might be a bad choice of word here...

Reactions: Ben White

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I hope you know Selänne played injured the whole year. Without the lockout he`d been retired. In 2005-2006 he put up 90p and 40g, In 2006-2007 94p and 48g.

Look above ^

I know, but why he sucked doesn’t change anything here though. I’d argue it’s worse for him because at least Kariya you can envision a scenario where he plays better if the season is replayed. Selanne wasn’t getting better without surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It should rather be the players on said teams that year, without injuries. Landy should also be an option on 2024. If a player is injured, "suck" might be a bad choice of word here...

I think there’s a difference between availability and injuries affecting level of play. Forsberg is on the team despite only playing 39 games, but he’s getting the benefit of the doubt because he was an elite player in the games he played. With Selanne, he didn’t miss games, he just wasn’t good in them because of his knee. But that’s the reality of the lineup of the 2004 Avs. Nothing would have changed if the year was played out multiple times. And with Landeskog, he hasn’t played in over a year and a half. It’s hard to know what he’s going to be when he’s back and if he’ll even be able to play regularly again. If you allow too much leeway it’s not really the 2004 and 2024 teams anymore

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
2004 has better name recognition, but give me 2024 based on how they actually played those years. And when I saw the thread title my instant thought was Demko sways this in favor of 2024.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
A better line up for 2004 would be

Naslund-Forsberg-Hejduk
Tanguay-Sakic-Bertuzzi
Sedin-Sedin-Konowalchuk
Kariya-Morrison-Selanne

Foote-Blake
Ohlund-Salo
Jovanovski-Morris

Aebischer
Cloutier

Pettersson-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Nichushkin-Miller-Boeser
Lekhonen-Lindholm-Hoglander
Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hughes-Makar
Toews-Hronek
Girard-Soucy

Demko

2004 is much deeper IMO, but the difference between Demko and Aebischer/Cloutier is far too much. 2024 takes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Naslund Forsberg Hejduk
Tanguay Sakic Bertuzzi
Sedin Sedin Cooke
Konowalchuk Morrison Selanne

Jovanovski Blake
Ohlund Foote
Morris Sopel
Skoula

Aebischier
Cloutier

V

Miller MacKinnon Boeser
Lekhonen Pettersson Rantanen
Mittelstadt Lindholm Nichuskin
Joshua Blueger Garland

Hughes Makar
Toews Hronek
Zadorov Manson
Girard

Demko
Georgiev

2024 smokes the 2004 team imo

Several of the star names were on decline and the Sedins hadn't fully arrived, that as well Demko and the Hughes-Makar monster pair that destroys the universe lol

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
The bigger question is who would win between a hybrid of 2004 Avs and 2024 Canucks would fare against a team of 2004 Canucks and 2024 Avs.

Pettersson Forsberg Boeser
Miller Sakic Hejduk
Tanguay Lindholm Hoglander
Joshua Blueger Garland

Hughes Blake
Foote Hronek
Zadorov Sopel
Soucy

Demko
Aebischier

V

Naslund MacKinnon Bertuzzi
Sedin Sedin Rantanen
Lekhonen Morrison Nichuskin
Cooke Colton Konowalchuk

Toews Makar
Ohlund Girard
Jovanovski Manson
Morris

Georgiev
Cloutier

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Naslund Forsberg Hejduk
Tanguay Sakic Bertuzzi
Sedin Sedin Cooke
Konowalchuk Morrison Selanne

Jovanovski Blake
Ohlund Foote
Morris Sopel
Skoula

Aebischier
Cloutier

V

Miller MacKinnon Boeser
Lekhonen Pettersson Rantanen
Mittelstadt Lindholm Nichuskin
Joshua Blueger Garland

Hughes Makar
Toews Hronek
Zadorov Manson
Girard

Demko
Georgiev

2024 smokes the 2004 team imo

Several of the star names were on decline and the Sedins hadn't fully arrived, that as well Demko and the Hughes-Makar monster pair that destroys the universe lol
Yeah no, Forsberg was still the best player in the world when he played (OP says disregard injuries) by a solid margin, granted it wasn’t the strongest competition. Naslund led the league in points that season before his concussion and still finished 4th in league scoring. Hejduk came fresh from a Rocket Richard Trophy season. Sakic was still a star player. Tanguay legit and you can’t sleep on Selanne and Kariya in a best of 7 like this. Boeser and Lehkonen in the top 6 simply don’t hold up in this competition. My vote goes to the 2004’s.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Who’d win a best of 7? (Disregard injuries)

Colorado Canucks 2004

Naslund - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
Tanguay - Linden - Bertuzzi
Morrison - Kesler - Hinote
Is Kesler in his rookie year even a good choice here?

Also the 2 former Ducks players were a gongshow for the Avs that year.

Ohlund - Blake
Foote - Jovanovski
Bergevin - Skoula

Aebischer
This back end is really weak compared to the 24 version, like Night and Day weak.
Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Pettersson - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Boeser - Miller - Drouin
Nichushkin - Lindholm - Johansen
Garland - Blueger - Joshua
Keep the lotto line for the Canucks and the Avs top line as well and as a top 6 they matchup with the 04 groupd nicely.

Also get Drouin out of here and put out Hoglander on the 4th line, garland on the 3rd.

Hughes - Makar
Toews - Hronek
Byram - Manson

Demko
The back end of this team is just so much better but man what a weird poll question, is it summer yet or WTF?

Also why would one split up Makar with his natural partner and Hughes/Hronek need to be a pairing here too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad