Votes: 45 47.9%
  • Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Who’d win a best of 7? (Disregard injuries)

Colorado Canucks 2004

Naslund - Forsberg - Hejduk
Kariya - Sakic - Selanne
Tanguay - Linden - Bertuzzi
Morrison - Kesler - Hinote

Ohlund - Blake
Foote - Jovanovski
Bergevin - Skoula

Aebischer

Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Pettersson - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Boeser - Miller - Drouin
Nichushkin - Lindholm - Johansen
Garland - Blueger - Joshua

Hughes - Makar
Toews - Hronek
Byram - Manson

Demko

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kariya, Selanne and Bertuzzi were all disappointing in 2004.

If I could have late 90s/early 00s Selanne and Kariya and 2002-2003 Bert, I'd go with the older roster.

But if it has to be the 2004 versions of those players, I'll take the 2024 team.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Colorado Canucks 2004

Kariya - Sakic - Selanne

Ohlund - Blake
Foote - Jovanovski
Bergevin - Skoula

Aebischer

Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Boeser - Miller - Drouin

Hughes - Makar
Toews - Hronek
Byram - Manson

Demko
Hey! Byram belongs to the Sabres!!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t really get the lineups here. Johansen and Byram aren’t on Colorado anymore. Selanne and Kariya sucked in 2004. Skouka and Bergevin were pretty far down the depth charts of both teams. Kesler wasn’t a full time NHLer, etc.

If it’s just names at their best, then 2004, but there were a lot of underperformers on those teams. I think a realistic lineup of today’s team would be better. In particular, having either Makar or Hughes on the ice most of the game (I wouldn’t pair them and instead leave Toews-Makar and Hughes-Hronek together) and Demko over Aebischer are big plusses to me

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
2024 group AINEC. Havent even heard of some of those guys from 2004 :laugh:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Colorado Canucks 2004

Kariya - Sakic - Selanne

Ohlund - Blake
Foote - Jovanovski
Bergevin - Skoula

Aebischer

Vancouver Avalanche 2024

Boeser - Miller - Drouin

Hughes - Makar
Toews - Hronek
Byram - Manson

Demko
Johansen has no business making that team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Wow this is a surprising result. Thought it would be closed down rather soon due to lopsided in favor of the oldies. 2004 was actually a down year for me in following hockey so maybe my memory of those players are more affected with what they were 2000-2003 or so. But man, just looking at the names this poll result is confusing to say the least.

Just looking at the top 6 and top 4 (in general as players):

Naslund > Pettersson
Forsberg > MacKinnon
Hejduk < Rantanen
Kariya > Boeser
Sakic > Miller
Selanne > Drouin
Ohlund < Hughes
Blake ~< Makar
Foote ~< Toews
Jovanovski > Hronek

And then the forward depth is a lot better for 2004 as well.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Just looking at the top 6 and top 4 (in general as players):

Naslund > Pettersson
Forsberg > MacKinnon
Hejduk < Rantanen
Kariya > Boeser
Sakic > Miller
Selanne > Drouin
Ohlund < Hughes
Blake ~< Makar
Foote ~< Toews
Jovanovski > Hronek

And then the forward depth is a lot better for 2004 as well.
To those who will question the bolded: Naslund was top 4 in scoring three years in a row. He was 2, 2, 4 between 2002-2004 and led the nhl in scoring mid season in 2004 when a concussion ended his career as we know it. He also led the league for big chunks of the 2002 and 2003 seasons and was 1 game away from claiming the Art Ross in 2003, he did get the Ted Lindsay however. A lot of people will likely follow the center > winger reflex here but in reality Pettersson has a long way to go before sniffing Naslund’s peak and if this poll is interpreted as “2004 before Naslund’s concussion” this is a nobrainer.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Naslund was awesome, absolute superstar. Before EP, before the Sedins…it was Naslund who started the lineage of the modern Canucks Swedish superstar forward. He was one of those guys who was right on the cusp of being an award winner but never could quite breakthrough so that hurts his historical legacy but for many years I’d argue he was a top 5 forward in the entire league.

This wasn’t the best version of Kariya or Selanne though.

I think it depends on which era has “home ice” also. That 2004 team is much tougher physically, especially on the back end…while the 2024 with Makar and Hughes as the engines would skate circles around the 2004 team in the neutral zone and offensive zone. So are we inserting the 2024 team into the 2004 NHL era or vice versa?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Which set of rules are they using? Are the 2004 defensemen allowed to hold/hook/obstruct with impunity, or would the 2024 team get 48 minutes of PP time per game?

Reactions: Ben White

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Which set of rules are they using? Are the 2004 defensemen allowed to hold/hook/obstruct with impunity, or would the 2024 team get 48 minutes of PP time per game?
That’s obviously a very legit question, I’d figure the home ice advantage would be expanded to era advantage as well, question is what metric would determine home ice advantage… Maybe winning by 2 games would be mandatory like in the 5th set of grand slam tennis finals? One team would have to “break” the other team’s era advantage :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lineups would probably be more like

Naslund - Forsberg - Bertuzzi
Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Sedin - Sedin - Cooke
Konowalchuk - Morrison - Linden

Ohlund - Blake
Jovanovski - Foote
Skrastins - Sopel

Aebischer
Cloutier

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Mittlestadt - Nichushkin
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Toews - Makar
Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Manson

Demko
Georgiev

I don’t think Kariya or Selanne would make the team. Kariya was ok. Selanne was terrible. Sedins were producing well while driving possession for their minimal ice time. Svatos could maybe make the team as he did well in his late season addition. I think the forwards are close. 2004 maybe a slight edge for more defensive responsibility. 2024 has more options to play with (Drouin, Colton, Suter, Blueger).

Again, I think the biggest edge is Makar and Hughes and Demko in goal. Blake, Ohlund, Foote and Jovo are good, but none of them control the game like those two. And while Aebischer had great numbers that year, I don’t think he was ever considered as good as Demko is.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Which era of hockey are we playing here? Either way, I'm probably taking the 2004 guys, because I at least know that the skilled guys back in those days can probably hang with how open the game is today, meanwhile we don't know how today's players can handle the dead puck era style of hockey.

2024 group AINEC. Havent even heard of some of those guys from 2004 :laugh:

How old are you? 12? 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
If we are assuming all players are at their absolute best I take 2004 easily.

If we are going based on their 2004 level then it's probably 2024 since, as pointed out many times, Kariya & Selanne weren't good and Bertuzzi was on the downswing.

The bottom 6 of 2024 looks pretty rough here though.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If we are assuming all players are at their absolute best I take 2004 easily.

If we are going based on their 2004 level then it's probably 2024 since, as pointed out many times, Kariya & Selanne weren't good and Bertuzzi was on the downswing.

The bottom 6 of 2024 looks pretty rough here though.

I think you need to judge the numbers by that era too. Guys like Bertuzzi, Selanne, and Kariya might have not put up a lot of points that year, but you're talking about a time where top-liners were scoring 60-70 points a year with the exception of those who were having career seasons. This is a year where 94 points won the Art Ross and 41 goals won the Maurice Richard.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I think you need to judge the numbers by that era too. Guys like Bertuzzi, Selanne, and Kariya might have not put up a lot of points that year, but you're talking about a time where top-liners were scoring 60-70 points a year with the exception of those who were having career seasons. This is a year where 94 points won the Art Ross and 41 goals won the Maurice Richard.
No amount of era adjustment can atone for Karya's 36 points in 51 gamaes and neither passed the eye test either when on the ice. That said, both Kariya and Selanne rebounded with 85+ point seasons later on in their careers so I think it's fair to say we could roll the dice on them not being as bad if the season were replayed.

Reactions: bh53

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
No amount of era adjustment can atone for Karya's 36 points in 51 gamaes and neither passed the eye test either when on the ice. That said, both Kariya and Selanne rebounded with 85+ point seasons later on in their careers so I think it's fair to say we could roll the dice on them not being as bad if the season were replayed.

Cherry picking years is not a good comparison, probably a better idea to give a range of years. Like I said, I know the skilled guys of those years can hang in today's game, but can the skilled guys from today's game deal with all the hits, clutching, and grabbing? Hard to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad