Colorado Eagles did not give the Kelly Cup back

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
According to Patrick J. Kelly. The Colorado Eagles didn't give back the Kelly Cup like they were supposed to in March. One of the owners decided he wanted to keep it. The League had to get a new Trophy made. Did anyone hear anything about this?

There is an interview on Facebook. Not sure how to post it in here, So here is the link to the page

Busted Coverage

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wow. If true, may they have a Cleveland Browns gap between Championships.

You'd think that the ECHL and AHL would have a relationship such that the thief would at least have to pay for the replacement.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Statement from Eagles Owner Martin Lind Regarding Kelly Cup | Colorado Eagles

“The management of the ECHL has full knowledge of the situation with the Kelly Cup. We have made numerous attempts to return it. They have chosen to ignore our requests, therefore the Kelly Cup remains in Colorado. This is all that will be released regarding this matter.” – Martin Lind

A BS statement.
That does sound like BS. If they wanted to return it all they have to do is box it up and ship it back. Sounds like they have attached some strings to the return which the league doesn't agree with.

Reactions: Woo Hockey

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Gotta be much more to this story, folks. Silly Season sometimes starts early.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
So does this mean the ECHL will try getting the Kelly Cup stored in the Hockey Hall Of Fame instead of staying with the winning team season long

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This story is wild.

ECHL champs have to go beat AHL Colorado to take possession of the cup. I want a movie made.

Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The Colorado Eagles are completely in the wrong about this, but one has to wonder why the ECHL didn't fly someone out there just to get Cup. Granted I didn't look anything up, but there absolutely has to be a direct flight from an airport reasonably close to an ECHL city to Denver. From there it's an hour (give or take) drive to Loveland.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Here is the rumor: Apparently the ECHL revoked the Eagles ECHL charter membership when they left for the AHL. It was paid for and in good standing, the same as the recent Alaska Aces franchise that was allowed to be kept and sold to a buyer who "relocated" the team. (It will be interesting to see what happens if the Manchester team does indeed fold). So the Eagles owner decided to keep the cup until he got his $500,000 back.

Is it petty to keep the cup like that? Pretty much. But if this is indeed the situation, I would definitely be using some leverage if I thought I was owed half a million dollars.

In the end, if true, this all should have played out behind closed doors with lawyers and such. Not a good look for anyone here.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Colorado Eagles are completely in the wrong about this, but one has to wonder why the ECHL didn't fly someone out there just to get Cup. Granted I didn't look anything up, but there absolutely has to be a direct flight from an airport reasonably close to an ECHL city to Denver. From there it's an hour (give or take) drive to Loveland.
Maybe they should hire Wesley Snipes to get it back. Or Liam Neeson. Or Mel Gibson. :popcorn:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Here is the rumor: Apparently the ECHL revoked the Eagles ECHL charter membership when they left for the AHL. It was paid for and in good standing, the same as the recent Alaska Aces franchise that was allowed to be kept and sold to a buyer who "relocated" the team. (It will be interesting to see what happens if the Manchester team does indeed fold). So the Eagles owner decided to keep the cup until he got his $500,000 back. ...
So we can also look forward to such drama when Seattle chooses Boise to be their AHL affiliate? Eventually the ECHL offices will have the most mud on their faces in this series of spats. But maybe that's why they proceeded with a new trophy, knowing they were in a defensive position in this matter. :huh:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Here is the rumor: Apparently the ECHL revoked the Eagles ECHL charter membership when they left for the AHL. It was paid for and in good standing, the same as the recent Alaska Aces franchise that was allowed to be kept and sold to a buyer who "relocated" the team. (It will be interesting to see what happens if the Manchester team does indeed fold). So the Eagles owner decided to keep the cup until he got his $500,000 back.

Is it petty to keep the cup like that? Pretty much. But if this is indeed the situation, I would definitely be using some leverage if I thought I was owed half a million dollars.

In the end, if true, this all should have played out behind closed doors with lawyers and such. Not a good look for anyone here.

It did, and the ECHL revoked the franchise.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Makes sense now.

It is a contract law issue. I guess the cost of a new trophy is a lot less than $500,000 so it's advantage ECHL right now.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I am not defending the bad behaviors of the Colorado Eagles, I think that their actions are wrong but I get how the ECHL acts badly as well.

Everytime a team folds, surrenders, or switches leages it seems the ECHL retains rights to everything related to naming and merchandise. Maybe there is likely some push back.

On the other hand maybe the ECHL is trying to push back. While the Toronto-Growlers relationship is good for the future of the ECHL the ECHL has had to suffer with westward AHL expansion. ECHL attendance is down, strong teams have been poached so they have to have almost had enough. At the end of the day, whatever the reason, the Kelly Cup does need to be returned to the league, its not Colorado's to keep indefinitely.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
At first i thought this was just a publicity stunt for the ECHL to create a new trophy and generate more interest in the league.

One poster makes it seem like an internal dispute that's bleeding into the public eye.

If that's true, that's very bad media attention for the league, and by (a loose) extension, the NHL.

Hopefully it's the former.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad