Proposal: Colorado-Calgary

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Avs will be about ~$30m under the cap going into the summer.

Many Avs fans want the likes of Tavares, Carlson, Stastny, etc. but I will just assume we miss out on all of those targets. Colorado currently has two right handed forwards(MacKinnon, Compher) under NHL contract and a clear lack of physicality in the bottom six. Also likely a D spot open as Barberio is more of a 7D. The Avs are also likely looking for a backup/AHL starter to compete with Francouz behind Varlamov. Yes, most pressing need is a second line scorer but that can come via another transaction.

Enter Calgary. Many roster spots to fill and some dead weight contracts who are actually still serviceable. Also have a couple of "NHL ready" goaltending prospects that should probably get a longer look.

So, here it goes...

Calgary trades:

F Troy Brouwer (32 y/o, $4.5m AAV for 2 more years)
D Michael Stone (27 y/o, $3.5m AAV for 2 more years)
G Jon Gillies (24 y/o, RFA)
Colorado trades:

Conditional draft choice (the condition is they will never get anything, some silly condition like Brouwer scores 50 goals)
Why?

For Calgary, they shed $8m in salary and allow themselves to pursue a better free agents. I posted this idea on the Flames board and they seemed to support it. Gillies has value and Stone a bit, but Brouwer is an achor of a contract and brings the value down to nothing. They just get them off the books and retain no salary. In order to do that, give up Gillies who doesn't seem to have much of a future with the Flames anyhow.

For Colorado, there really aren't any big contracts to take care of over the next couple of years other than Rantanen and Zadorov extensions. Brouwer had 22 points last year, brings a ton of physicality and beef on the bottom six, is a great leader, and essentially replaces Comeau. Logged most PK time of all Flames forwards last year. Stone is another big right handed body who can partner Nemeth or Girard on a third pairing and provide key penalty killing contributions as well. Always liked his game and his contract also isn't a concern. Gillies comes in to compete with Francouz for the backup gig and AHL starter with the Eagles. Avs fill a bunch of holes here; physicality, right handed shots, penalty killing, bottom six, bottom pairing, and backup competition.

Expecting my fellow Avs fans to kill me for this. :D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a f***ing chance in hell we are giving up Gillies and Stone when we don't need to.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't mind it.

It's funny, because you guys tend to take the Flames castoffs anyways.

That conditional pick better be good though, Stone is still a serviceable #4 defender and Gillies is a good goalie. Brouwer is Brouwer, but he only has 2 years left on his contract.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't mind it.

It's funny, because you guys tend to take the Flames castoffs anyways.

That conditional pick better be good though, Stone is still a serviceable #4 defender and Gillies is a good goalie. Brouwer is Brouwer, but he only has 2 years left on his contract.

It’s a mystery box.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Avs will be about ~$30m under the cap going into the summer.

Many Avs fans want the likes of Tavares, Carlson, Stastny, etc. but I will just assume we miss out on all of those targets. Colorado currently has two right handed forwards(MacKinnon, Compher) under NHL contract and a clear lack of physicality in the bottom six. Also likely a D spot open as Barberio is more of a 7D. The Avs are also likely looking for a backup/AHL starter to compete with Francouz behind Varlamov. Yes, most pressing need is a second line scorer but that can come via another transaction.

Enter Calgary. Many roster spots to fill and some dead weight contracts who are actually still serviceable. Also have a couple of "NHL ready" goaltending prospects that should probably get a longer look.

So, here it goes...

Calgary trades:

F Troy Brouwer (32 y/o, $4.5m AAV for 2 more years)
D Michael Stone (27 y/o, $3.5m AAV for 2 more years)
G Jon Gillies (24 y/o, RFA)
Colorado trades:

Conditional draft choice (the condition is they will never get anything, some silly condition like Brouwer scores 50 goals)
Why?

For Calgary, they shed $8m in salary and allow themselves to pursue a better free agents. I posted this idea on the Flames board and they seemed to support it. Gillies has value and Stone a bit, but Brouwer is an achor of a contract and brings the value down to nothing. They just get them off the books and retain no salary. In order to do that, give up Gillies who doesn't seem to have much of a future with the Flames anyhow.

For Colorado, there really aren't any big contracts to take care of over the next couple of years other than Rantanen and Zadorov extensions. Brouwer had 22 points last year, brings a ton of physicality and beef on the bottom six, is a great leader, and essentially replaces Comeau. Logged most PK time of all Flames forwards last year. Stone is another big right handed body who can partner Nemeth or Girard on a third pairing and provide key penalty killing contributions as well. Always liked his game and his contract also isn't a concern. Gillies comes in to compete with Francouz for the backup gig and AHL starter with the Eagles. Avs fill a bunch of holes here; physicality, right handed shots, penalty killing, bottom six, bottom pairing, and backup competition.

Expecting my fellow Avs fans to kill me for this. :D

I don't think it's Avs fans you have to worry about.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
At least it won't add bodies that have to be protected in the expansion draft, unlike some corpses signed until 2064.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Well I mean, I think Michael Stone is pretty alright, but I'm not sure Gillies still has starter potential. (That'd obviously affect the value.) It's weird, I'd rather do something else.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Flames don't need to get rid of Brouwer so badly that they should be giving Stone and Gillies away for free. We are not cap strapped.

We are also without a starting goalie after this next season with Smith on the last year of his deal, we need Gillies and Rittich both around in hopes at least one of them will step up and give us a starter long term.

People like to crap on Stone, but he's a serviceable #4 when called upon, and isn't bogged down by a massive term or cap hit. He would easily fetch a couple draft picks, similar to what we gave up to acquire him IMO.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
meh I think we can get similar players in UFA. Also, we don't really have much room for 3 more players, which is why it's better if we just spend 8 mill AV on one star.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Stone has value.
Gillies has value.
Brouwer stinks but not so bad or for so long that I'd give up 2 assets with value for nothing.

Reactions: pmwlker

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We need to be patient with Gillies.

I don’t think Stone has a ton of value but he’s still a solid player.

Brouwer can play 4th line/press box/buyout

Edit:

Why not just like Stone for a 3rd?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

I don’t think Stone has a ton of value but he’s still a solid player.

Brouwer can play 4th line/press box/buyout

Edit:

Why not just like Stone for a 3rd?
It seems like he’s trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Tough bottom 6er, and goalie prospect.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think our top 4 is set unless we get a clear upgrade and Hammond is probably the guy we get to be the experienced backup/AHL guy. Don’t see much need to add $8m in salary.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think its a very creative idea, although I don't think the extra cap space is that important to Cal to unload guys who can still play decent rolls even if overpaid. It also doesn't fit the Avs vision of getting younger and faster and rebuilding internally although the motivation for the young goalie absolutely makes sense. Don't think it makes enough sense to ever happen but it was a cool idea so props for that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I would think the Avs with their cap space will probably be in market for a more established goalie. What about Stone, Gillies + Brouwer(cap dump) for Varly?
I would think that 16th OA + Gillies would be a pretty good base to start talks on Holtby, assuming Carlson is more important to the Caps moving forward.

Avs upgrade their goaltending and Defence. All it costs them is 16th OA, whatever you have to add to get Holtby and 2 years of a cap dump.

Flames get insurance for Smith and possibly a guy that could be extended for the next 4-5 years.

Caps keep Carlson, moving forward with Grubauer, Samsonov and Gillies in net, as well as the rest of the futures from the Holtby deal.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

?

Isnt he waiver eligible this year?

The guy is so flaky, I doubt that he can ever be a reliable goalie in the NHL.

But yeah, give him all the patience, I doubt if anybody wants him the way he is now

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are taking all the risks for a potential Goalie. They can easily toss $8M per to anyone then make this deal.

CGY would be crazy not to take this deal and rid themselves of these players. Don’t understand why any Flames fans would object, but glad they would be because this is insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad