Colorado better talent than Edmonton ?

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
The real question should be, if you take McDavid out of the equation, which team is better?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
That was mostly fans of all teams who took those GAR charts as some kind of gospel.

He's referring to Sekera.

Definitely not the Oilers best defenseman, but he was very good anchoring the second pairing last season.

The loss of Sekera hasn't been nearly as impactful as Klefbom completely forgetting how to play hockey though.
Losing Sekera imo is one of the reasons why our pp is so crap. I think it is a huge loss, in combination with Klefbom forgetting how to play hockey... disastrous.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hard to tell for me personally because Edmonton has an NHL-level coach at the minimum and our coach is a minor-leaguer in over his head. A guy like Bednar isn't capable of getting consistent performances out of players.

I would probably take Edmonton's defence outside of Tyson Barrie who imo is the best dman on either team (based on how he's played this season at least not last season).

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Young team making it to game 7 of the wcsf, first appearance in 10 years is not a choke. If they do the same again I would maybe agree a minuscule amount.
Oh i agree if you step back and look at the Oilers season it was a great success. Just in that series they kinda blew it

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Flashbacks to 2014 offseason...

It's kinda funny how both our rebuilds hit a wall the year after, just like McDavid.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I hate it when people say things like "take away X, and they aren't as good!" Well, they have X so they are that good. Oil have McDavid and that takes them to the next level. Avs probably have the better depth, but Oil has a way better top-end guy.

It's the same thing when it comes to goalies. "You only won because your goalie stole the game!" Yeah? That's why we got that guy in net.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I hate it when people say things like "take away X, and they aren't as good!" Well, they have X so they are that good. Oil have McDavid and that takes them to the next level. Avs probably have the better depth, but Oil has a way better top-end guy.

It's the same thing when it comes to goalies. "You only won because your goalie stole the game!" Yeah? That's why we got that guy in net.
Don't want to sound like a douche but imo, Draisaitl > anyone on the Avs roster. Das 2 top end guys.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like Colorado's talent but not as good as Edmonton. But I will say this, Mikko Rantanen is better than many people gave him credit for. I fondly remember the passionate debates on who had a better AHL D+1 between Rantanen and Nylander. Rantanen is off to a great start of 11 points in 12 games leading the Avs in scoring. Rantanen is a great talent.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
12 games doesn't make Colorado a good team. I think when the season shakes out Edmonton will be a playoff team and Colorado on the outside.

Lame Staley

Nov 3, 2017
Leon, McDavid, Klefbom and Nuge are better than Landeskog, Barrie, Raantenan, and Duchene in my opinion. Who could even argue?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
People need to stop being surprised when a couple teams every year go from crap to surprising

And most of shouldnt be so shocked if those same teams crash back to earth next season

Kid players are notorious inconsistent
Crap teams almost never have depth
Run and gun hockey requires good luck to succeed

Will either edmonton or colorado enjoy a 4-5 year stretch of solid playoff hockey in the next 4-5 years? Personally i doubt it. But might either team get on a glory run for a year and win a cup? I think maybe

Theres obvious talent on both teams as will hsppen when you suck for a decade and make a couple handful of lottery picks

If i was a fan of either team id just keep my mouth shut about possibly making playoffs this year and focus on enjoying it. It might not happen again in the 2010 decade

And enjoy mcdavid and mackinnon if they excite you... every fan base deserves to enjoy something about their team

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
you don't lose a best of 7 series because of refs only. You don't blow a 3 goal lead in the final 3 minutes and then fail to score in 2 overtimes because of refs only. They deserved the loss, period.

I am a hugh fan of Ryan Kesler. But what Kesler did in the last 20 seconds on Talbot in game 5 was goalie interference. If that goal was waived off EDM wins the game and Leads the series 3 games to 2.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The real question should be, if you take McDavid out of the equation, which team is better?
Take away any teams best player and that team looks a lot worse. Edmonton is much more talented than the avs. That being said, Chiarelli is a mediocre GM just like he was in Boston. That team will have a hard time taking the next step with him in charge. He's still better than Sakic though for whatever thats worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad