Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ehlers had a brutal series my god. Winnipeg has to move him.

Frustrating player. Pionk was bad too. I think that blueline needs another big boy piece to go with Morrissey. At least the slow-boys Monahan and Toffoli were just rentals. Not sure why Perfetti got ten minutes of ice time all series and only got in because Namestnikov was hurt?

Lots of talent still in the Peg and a real nice looking pool of prospects, at least in terms of potential support players. No need for a rebuild but some a couple major moves should be in order.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Avs depth is no joke this year. They’ve got a second line center who does a lot of the little things that contribute to winning and their bottom lines play fast and heavy. There’s no point in the game where you are going to get to slow down the pace and take a breather.

And this was without one of their better offensive catalysts this year on the ice for a minute of this series and their captain still perms-shelved.

CMac deserves a lot of credit for being active in addressing the things that sank this team’s title defense last year. Active and productive summer, quickly pivoted off the RyJo mistake and then insulated everything at the trade deadline.

Only gets harder from here though. Next round, regardless of opponent, is going to be brutal.

The Avs depth is a lot better than this time last year but still don’t match up to a team like Vegas or Dallas when it comes to depth across 4 lines. But who cares when you have 140pt MacKinnon. Bednar also doesn’t roll 4 lines either.

Reactions: Devonator

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Brossoit starting 2 games ago might've made a difference, but it's not all on Hellebuyck. Jets are just full of playoff choke artists, and putrid coaches (particularly special teams).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What surprised me most with the Avs was their commitment to team defense. The book on the Avs was they aren't good in their own zone and let in a lot of goals. Game 1 was a nonsense game but after that they had tight gaps and speed. Jets were outplayed and have some soul searching to do.
The Avs are one of the better teams statistically. It's their shitty goaltending that sunk them this year.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I am amazed at how many people picked the Jets against a recent Stanley cup winner with amazing elite high end talent.....this does not surprise me at all.....it isn't that Winnipeg is a poor team.....but that their opponent is possible the Stanley Cup Champs of this year.

And please....Jet fans....quit embarrassing yourselves by whining about the Reffing and that Gary Bettman has a conspiracy against you guys.....you got beat quite handily.....You lost because you are much inferior to the Avs.....Refs didn't rob you......

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Avs depth is a lot better than this time last year but still don’t match up to a team like Vegas or Dallas when it comes to depth across 4 lines. But who cares when you have 140pt MacKinnon. Bednar also doesn’t roll 4 lines either.

I mean Cogliano, Parise and Duhaime play as much as Smith,Dellandrea etc for the Stars and Howden, Kolesar, etc for the Knights. Hell Trenin has been playing as much as William Karlsson. And this is with Drouin out.

We don’t roll our top two lines as evenly as the Stars, in particular, do - but our third and fourth liners are playing third and fourth line minutes and are doing so effectively and when Drouin gets back, a second line featuring Mittelstadt, Lehkonen and Drouin or Nuke - I’d absolutely matchup against any other team.

It’s so dang hard for people to grasp, still, apparently - that the Avs actually have good depth now down the line-up now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Depth is overrated. It is absolutely needed, but eventually your top guns are more important. Depth players score individual important goals. Top guns score the majority of goals. Power play is a thing you know?

If someone says they would rather have the Vegas forward corps vs the Avs, they are insane. I N S A N E.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Great series by the Avs, they made the right adjustments after game one and played 3 great games and tonight's was just good enough to get some bounces. They're a good team with speed and should give the winner of Dallas/Vegas a tough series. That only one team out of Dallas, Colorado, Vegas, and Winnipeg gets past the second round is just crazy.
Honestly game one might have been the Avs best, Geo lost that game almost single-handedly as the Avs were all over the Jets the entire game

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Maybe not build a slow team that cannot move the puck out of the zone efficiently. Stylistically this was always going to be a nightmare matchup for the Jets.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I guess it´s easier to blame Hellebuyck than admit the entire Jets team were thoroughly outplayed and deserved nothing out of the series.

Reactions: hui43210

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What happened to the Jets defenseman in this series? As a group going in to the playoffs they looked as solid as any teams but they were awful. I didn’t see that coming. Helleybuck is going to take the heat for this loss and while he deserves some for his play I think even more of the blame falls on those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad