Colorado Avalanche Day at PHT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

He has played for Washington his whole career, which helps.

I'm really afraid to get excited about him just yet. All these young goalies coming into the league these days and only a few of them have turned into real stars after really hot starts.

Can it even be possible that we picked up a starter for a 2nd + incoming cap dump?

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Someone on here projected Grubauer to Devan Dubnyk, and at this point I'm inclined to agree. I think Gru the Wanderer is good enough to be a successful starter for a good team, but I'm not sure he's at that level you need a guy to have for a deep playoff run. Regardless, I really like the move and also like the move to bring in Francouz.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Someone on here projected Grubauer to Devan Dubnyk, and at this point I'm inclined to agree. I think Gru the Wanderer is good enough to be a successful starter for a good team, but I'm not sure he's at that level you need a guy to have for a deep playoff run. Regardless, I really like the move and also like the move to bring in Francouz.

I have a problem with any projection involving the green filth. Pick almost anyone else lol.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have a problem with any projection involving the green filth. Pick almost anyone else lol.

I know, makes me throw up a little in my mouth too, especially given his performance against the Avs last season. But...I'm not sure who else to pick. :laugh:

I'm fairly confident that should he struggle, Gru won't be as animated about it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know, makes me throw up a little in my mouth too, especially given his performance against the Avs last season. But...I'm not sure who else to pick. :laugh:

I'm fairly confident that should he struggle, Gru won't be as animated about it.

If you're going to pick an inconsistent goalie who had a hot start to his career and was later traded for assets. I'd go with Andersen, but that's obviously not a style comparison. Although I'm not sure how Dub is either.

member 116861

giphy.gif

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dubs is so overrated. He parlayed a hot streak into a long term contract and now Minnie is stuck with him. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scrubs. :D

Reactions: Murzu

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think a good goalie can absolutely carry you deep in the playoffs, but I'm not sure if it an carry you to a cup win. Ideally you just need a good goalie that won't cost you games *cough Bobrovsky/Allen*. So hopefully we become good enough that we don't need a Fleury(this season at least) type performance to get us deep in the playoffs.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I think a good goalie can absolutely carry you deep in the playoffs, but I'm not sure if it an carry you to a cup win. Ideally you just need a good goalie that won't cost you games *cough Bobrovsky/Allen*. So hopefully we become good enough that we don't need a Fleury(this season at least) type performance to get us deep in the playoffs.

Honestly I think it sort of goes the other way - you'd rather spend cap on the rest of your team, because any starter-caliber goalie can go on a hot streak and win games on their own. Sometimes it even happens with fringe backups (Hammond, Boucher). Feels to me like a lot of the premier goaltenders of the league are prone to cold streaks, too (Rinne, Bobrovsky), and it's really hard to predict when they'll happen.

In the end I agree with you - I think Grubauer is/will be good enough, and if he turns out to be better than we thought, it's all gravy.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly I think it sort of goes the other way - you'd rather spend cap on the rest of your team, because any starter-caliber goalie can go on a hot streak and win games on their own. Sometimes it even happens with fringe backups (Hammond, Boucher). Feels to me like a lot of the premier goaltenders of the league are prone to cold streaks, too (Rinne, Bobrovsky), and it's really hard to predict when they'll happen.

In the end I agree with you - I think Grubauer is/will be good enough, and if he turns out to be better than we thought, it's all gravy.

With Bob it's actually pretty easy to predict when he goes cold.

:rolleyes: @S E P H

We'll never let that die

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No I agree, I honestly think goaltending is horribly overvalued by a lot of teams (except Garth Snow who apparently doesn't value it at all, which rightfully cost him his job). I think that may come from the fact that three generational talents made waves in the league during the 90s and early 'aughts. But Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur are all gone now, and I believe you only need a goalie to be "good enough" to win it all. Elite talent in front of said goalie, especially at forward, is what makes the biggest difference.

That said I think "good enough" is someone who steps up in the playoffs to a reasonable degree and can steal the odd game or two. That can be just as much dumb luck as anything else. At this point I just don't know what Grubauer will be but I think he's a good bet to be a solid, albeit not elite, netminder.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad