Colorado Avalanche 2014 NHL Draft preview

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He looked extremely slow to me pre-draft (no idea now). Even his fights seemed to be in slow motion. That was the main thing I based my opinion on (slow skater), plus reports talking about his play in the Dzone being inconsistent and something that needs to be worked on. But it sounds like he either improved a ton this past year or I was just mistaken.

Either way, glad to see some people thinking highly of him. Gives me more hope.

Players in his mold are always going to be "projects". He did grow by leaps and bounds last year after being traded midway through the middle of his draft season. His skating continues to get better, but like I said, he moves quite well for someone his size.

Also keep in mind the Giants weren't a great team again last year. He is poised for a solid season this coming year before jumping to the AHL the following season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree with RS... Geertsen has grown tremendously over the past 2 seasons. Next season he is poised to take a top pairing spot and a leadership role with Vancouver. IMO there is a good chance he really breaks out. His upside may not be top pairing, but he could be a really solid depth player. I'd put him around 7-9 in my Avs prospect rankings right now.

I talked with one NHL scout this past season who couldn't say enough about him, and was fairly upset that he couldn't convince his team to take Geertsen in the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad