Colorado Avalanche 2014 NHL Draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The rejuvenated Colorado Avalanche franchise took the NHL by surprise this past season and defied all expectations by finishing at the top of the Western Conference’s tough Central Division.

While their first round loss at the hands of the Minnesota Wild can only be described as heartbreaking, the team will use their first playoff appearance in four years as experience gained for their quest for the Stanley Cup.

The graduation of Nathan MacKinnon and Tyson Barrie leaves the Avalanche’s already weak farm system desperate for an infusion of top-end skilled players. The combination of the Avalanche’s first round playoff exit and regular season points total results with the club being given the 24th pick, except in the first round where they will pick 23rd, of each round in the 2014 NHL Draft.… read more

More...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The Avalanche may be strong up front at the NHL level but down in their farm system they could use a lot of help. Aside from Joey Hishon and Michael Sgarbossa, the Avalanche do not have any other prospects with the potential to fill top-six roles

I'd argue Troy Bourke's potential is higher than Sgarbossa's. And put him in the top 10 (easily actually).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I'd also say the organization doesn't have much use for Sgarbossa, I wouldn't consider him a top prospect. I also wouldn't count Patterson and Milan, they both might be gone.

I'm also excited to see Rendulic and all the new prospects.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Yeah I'd also say the organization doesn't have much use for Sgarbossa, I wouldn't consider him a top prospect. I also wouldn't count Patterson and Milan, they both might be gone.

I'm also excited to see Rendulic and all the new prospects.

Me too. On a sidenote, I got Redline Report's draft guide this week and they have a top 10 of Euro free agents they profile. At the beginning however, they list three players who would have "ranked highly" on their list, but have just signed contracts with an NHL team. Number 1 and 2 on that list was Rendulic and Will:)

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Me too. On a sidenote, I got Redline Report's draft guide this week and they have a top 10 of Euro free agents they profile. At the beginning however, they list three players who would have "ranked highly" on their list, but have just signed contracts with an NHL team. Number 1 and 2 on that list was Rendulic and Will:)

That's actually so cool.

Btw... I don't agree at all with the top 10. To be honest, I think it's a joke. For me it's the following. I'm higher on Duncan that most people because I see him play more than most of you. There aren't very many highlights of AHL games so people look at the stats and that's just not the way to do it. To me he has the skating and shutdown ability to be a solid middle pairing guy at worst. I've said I see a young Hjalmarsson, I know that's high praise but that's what I think of him.

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Bourke
7. Pickard
8. Meurs
9. Geertsen
10. Martin

I do like Sanheim. I think he has the potential to be a real gem if he falls to 23.

Last edited:

umdieecke*

That's actually so cool.

Btw... I don't agree at all with the top 10. To be honest, I think it's a joke. For me it's the following. I'm higher on Duncan that most people because I see him play more than most of you. There aren't very many highlights of AHL games so people look at the stats and that's just not the way to do it. To me he has the skating and shutdown ability to be a solid middle pairing guy at worst. I've said I see a young Hjalmarsson, I know that's high praise but that's what I think of him.

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Bourke
7. Pickard
8. Meurs
9. Geertsen
10. Martin

I do like Sanheim. I think he has the potential to be a real gem if he falls to 23.

Isn't Siemens supposed to have more of an edge? In other words, doesn't he play with more physicality? As you said, you see him a lot, but in my minds eye, I see something different than Hjalmarsson.

umdieecke*

I wouldn't hate the Sanheim pick. My preference is McKeown because of the defense Colorado runs and his superior skating. But this is a tough one for scouts/FO decision makers. It seems like improvement in a draft year makes some feel more comfortable about a pick but ultimately, they're trying to pick the better player and that isn't always the one that most would feel more comfortable with. On the other hand, the needle could still be up for Sanheim.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Any D men on there? We got to add a couple for LE somehow

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Me too. On a sidenote, I got Redline Report's draft guide this week and they have a top 10 of Euro free agents they profile. At the beginning however, they list three players who would have "ranked highly" on their list, but have just signed contracts with an NHL team. Number 1 and 2 on that list was Rendulic and Will

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. I think they did a great job finding some gems to sign.

Any D men on there? We got to add a couple for LE somehow

Maybe they plan to go for some vet tweeners, guys like Holden and Guenin that actually stay in LE.

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Bourke
7. Pickard
8. Meurs
9. Geertsen
10. Martin

I agree with most of this list. Maybe add Smith and Butcher somewhere at the bottom but otherwise that's about how I feel. I also agree that I was happy with Siemens' game this last year.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Isn't Siemens supposed to have more of an edge? In other words, doesn't he play with more physicality? As you said, you see him a lot, but in my minds eye, I see something different than Hjalmarsson.

He is a very tough player but I think Hammer is too. It's not like Duncan just goes out and tries to lay people out when it's not the best play. He just doesn't give anyone anything easy. It's really a grind to play against him.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Wow I did not like Chau's ranking for our prospects at all this time around. Personally, I like Gabe the Babe's rankings better, the main difference is that I would have Butcher in the top 10 instead of Meurs. I would order 2-4 on his list a little bit differently as well, but I do think those 3 players are largely interchangeable at this point.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
That's actually so cool.

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Bourke
7. Pickard
8. Meurs
9. Geertsen
10. Martin

Those are actually good. I'd put in Smith instead of Meurs, and include Beaupre in there instead of Geertsen/Martin.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Better?

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hisham
5. Aittokallio
6. Burke
7. Pickard
8. Smith
9. Butcher
10. Geertsen

Next 10. Martin, Rendulic, Will, Meurs, Schumacher*, Aggozzino, Young, Corbett, and Westlund. No particular order.

Not a huge Boop guy to be honest.

*Avs need to sign Schumacher. I love him. Given the signings they did make it seems like he's a lock to be an Av though.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why is Bigras higher on the list than Siemens? I've not seen them play so the only thing I know is Siemens is one year older and was drafted quite early in the 1st round while Bigras is a 2nd rounder, so that's a bit surprising. Not sure if it's good news about Bigras or bad news about Siemens.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Why is Bigras higher on the list than Siemens? I've not seen them play so the only thing I know is Siemens is one year older and was drafted quite early in the 1st round while Bigras is a 2nd rounder, so that's a bit surprising. Not sure if it's good news about Bigras or bad news about Siemens.

I wouldn't read too much into it. If he develops his offensive game at the pro level then he'll move up. But right now he projects as a middle pairing shutdown guy for me. Bigras just seems like he'll be a true two way player, still better defensively than offensively. But I see him as a Hamhuis type of guy who can play in all situations. I just think Hamhuis is better than Hjalmarsson and those are the comparisons I have for them so there you go.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Better?

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hisham
5. Aittokallio
6. Burke
7. Pickard
8. Smith
9. Butcher
10. Geertsen

Next 10. Martin, Rendulic, Will, Meurs, Schumacher*, Aggozzino, Meurs, Young, Corbett, and Westlund. No particular order.

*Avs need to sign Schumacher. I love him. Given the signings they did make it seems like he's a lock to be an Av though.

Great list, best one I've seen so far.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Apparently Bigras was quite close to making the team in camp last year. He was voted the best defensive Dman in his league this past year. He was the only skater to grade out better than MacK at the draft combine. And his offensive numbers are not non-existent.

Bigras was a steal in the 2nd round.

Im curious as to why everyone is so high on Geertsen. He was the one draft pick I was really scratching my head about, especially that early. From looking into him (highlights, scouting reports) he seems like nothing more than a slow fighter.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bigras is higher for me just because of his potential. He might end up EJ's partner one day. I'm still a fan of Siemens, he's second on the list for me. It's not really a huge difference.

I actually was looking into Geertsen a bit last night. I think he's a great prospect. He's another shutdown defenseman and his offensive game started coming around at the end of last season. He's got great size and looks like a decent skater to me. He's being considered for captain next year too.

And on Schumacher, I like him too but I wonder if Everberg replaces him. He could be back on an AHL contract, I hope so at least.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Apparently Bigras was quite close to making the team in camp last year. He was voted the best defensive Dman in his league this past year. He was the only skater to grade out better than MacK at the draft combine. And his offensive numbers are not non-existent.

Im curious as to why everyone is so high on Geertsen. He was the one draft pick I was really scratching my head about, especially that early. From looking into him (highlights, scouting reports) he seems like nothing more than a slow fighter.

I believe he had a very good season in the WHL this year. Was on the top pairing.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Better?

1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Burke
7. Pickard
8. Smith
9. Butcher
10. Geertsen

Next 10. Martin, Rendulic, Will, Meurs, Schumacher*, Aggozzino, Meurs, Young, Corbett, and Westlund. No particular order.

I like it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He has all the makings to be a very solid depth D in the mold of a Willie Mitchell or Robyn Regehr. He's got the size and he skates well for his size. He's not slow, although a player of that size will always need to continue to improve his skating.

He's mean and can move the puck.

I love the kid's game and think he should be on our top 10 prospect listing as a #9 or #10 guy.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
1. Bigras
2. Siemens
3. Elliott
4. Hishon
5. Aittokallio
6. Bourke
7. Pickard
8. Smith
9. Butcher
10. Young

Pretty well in line with everybody else except for the last spot. I like Geertsen a lot but until he shows a bit more I have Young ahead of him for now. I also think Young has a bit more offense in his game.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He has all the makings to be a very solid depth D in the mold of a Willie Mitchell or Robyn Regehr. He's got the size and he skates well for his size. He's not slow, although a player of that size will always need to continue to improve his skating.

He's mean and can move the puck.

I love the kid's game and think he should be on our top 10 prospect listing as a #9 or #10 guy.

He looked extremely slow to me pre-draft (no idea now). Even his fights seemed to be in slow motion. That was the main thing I based my opinion on (slow skater), plus reports talking about his play in the Dzone being inconsistent and something that needs to be worked on. But it sounds like he either improved a ton this past year or I was just mistaken.

Either way, glad to see some people thinking highly of him. Gives me more hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad