GDT: Colorado at Calgary 9/30/14 7pm MST l "Finding The Switch" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
From the Pre-Season thread (thanks Nzap!)

Calgary lines per Chambers:

Tangs-Winch-Briere
Agozzino-Hishon-Rendulic
Talbot-Cliche-Everberg
Schumacher-Henley-Maggio

Hejda-Guenin :)help:)
Wilson-Redmond
Siemens-Noreau

Berra
Picks

ByuIDLEIAAAh4uQ.jpg:large

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
How the hell are there so many games unavailable for viewing? In today's age of a million sports channels and the freaking internet streaming live things, this is just absurd that radio is the only option.

And what's being shown tonight? We got women's college volley ball on ESPN2 and freakin soccer on FoxSports1.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
How the hell are there so many games unavailable for viewing? In today's age of a million sports channels and the freaking internet streaming live things, this is just absurd that radio is the only option.

It's been frustrating us preseason nerds for years now….

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seems like we could get something. I'd be willing to start my game center subscription a month early and pay an extra $20 for preseason games. I don't even need a full production. Just overlay the radio on top of a video feed.

It would be so awesome to catch these guys that we aren't going to see during the regular season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure I can respect a coach that mixes upper and lower case letters.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If there was real money in showing preseason games, it would likely already be done. For some Canadian teams there is... for almost every other team in the NHL, there isn't.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Watch Berra get a SO and Briere get a hattie. I'm calling an Avs win 8-0.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there was real money in showing preseason games, it would likely already be done. For some Canadian teams there is... for almost every other team in the NHL, there isn't.

I don't think that's really the issue. Just look at Altitude's schedule tonight. During the game they're showing bullfighting, a half hour Avs show, and then some Altitude golf show. An Avalanche pre-season game would easily draw more than those.

I think the issue is similar to why certain owners that have trouble selling out buildings, black out home games. They still generate revenue during pre-season, and probably want to fill the building as full as possible. If fans know they can watch it at home, they might just be lazy and watch it there. Not too many fans are that motivated to see pre-season games.

What I really can't figure out is the Col only radio broadcasts? :huh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think that's really the issue. Just look at Altitude's schedule tonight. During the game they're showing bullfighting, a half hour Avs show, and then some Altitude golf show. An Avalanche pre-season game would easily draw more than those.

I think the issue is similar to why certain owners that have trouble selling out buildings black out home games. They still generate revenue during pre-season, and probably want to fill the building as full as possible. If fans know they can watch it at home, they might just be lazy and watch it there. Not too many fans are that motivated to see pre-season games.

It costs a hell of a lot more to broadcast a live game than it does to re-air the same programs over and over.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It costs a hell of a lot more to broadcast a live game than it does to re-air the same programs over and over.

And you get a hell of a lot more viewers with an Avs game than the same recycled content, bring in a hell of a lot more in advertising, and spend a hell of a lot more time promoting your on ice product, and merchandise with an Avs game than you do bullfighting. I really don't think that's the issue.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Fans don't want to pay to see players they've never heard of.
Televise preseason games, and the fans will become familiar with the prospect players (provided Haynes and McNab actually talk about the new players, instead of their typical rambling BS).
This way, fans hear about the prospects, and have a desire to pay to see them...

:dunno:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And you get a hell of a lot more viewers with an Avs game than the same recycled content, bring in a hell of a lot more in advertising, and spend a hell of a lot more time promoting your on ice product, and merchandise with an Avs game than you do bullfighting. I really don't think that's the issue.

If there was a way for Altitude to make money on it... Stan would find a way. Just like he found a way to piggy back off a broadcast this year to show a preseason game. They probably made a few dollars there, but the amount they paid to rebroadcast that was likely pennies on the dollar compared to sending the whole crew up to Quebec.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there was a way for Altitude to make money on it... Stan would find a way. Just like he found a way to piggy back off a broadcast this year to show a preseason game. They probably made a few dollars there, but the amount they paid to rebroadcast that was likely pennies on the dollar compared to sending the whole crew up to Quebec.

Yea but my point is Stan might make more money on the fuller building + whatever recycled content they show, than they would on broadcasting the games + plus the less full building.

It's also a cumulative thing like regular season blackouts. When it becomes known they won't show games, people might go to more games live, and when it becomes known teams will broadcast games, they will feel lazy about going to see a pre-season game.

I really don't see the cost-benefit ratio being that far off from regular season where it's not even profitable to do. Plus as I mentioned it's not just the benefit of outside ad revenue. You're also showing a 2.5 hour advertisement for your own product.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yea but my point is Stan might make more money on the fuller building + whatever recycled content they show, than they would on broadcasting the games + plus the less full building.

It's also a cumulative thing like regular season blackouts. When it becomes known they won't show games, people might go to more games live, and when it becomes known teams will broadcast games, they will feel lazy about going to see a pre-season game.

I really don't see the cost-benefit ratio being that far off from regular season where it's not even profitable to do. Plus as I mentioned it's not just the benefit of outside ad revenue. You're also showing a 2.5 hour advertisement for your own product.

That doesn't answer why they don't do it for away pre-season games. It just isn't profitable.

Regular season games are profitable... probably not a huge margin as it is hockey, but a margin nonetheless. If Stan hadn't created Altitude and stayed with Fox Sports Rocky Mountain (I think that is what it was years ago), they would have paid the Avs to have broadcast rights. No company pays for broadcast rights to lose money. There has to be a profit margin built in.

Really for pre-season games, only the hardcore fans really care about tuning in. In all honestly the average Avs fan is far from a hardcore fan. Not enough care.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That doesn't answer why they don't do it for away pre-season games. It just isn't profitable.

Regular season games are profitable... probably not a huge margin as it is hockey, but a margin nonetheless. If Stan hadn't created Altitude and stayed with Fox Sports Rocky Mountain (I think that is what it was years ago), they would have paid the Avs to have broadcast rights. No company pays for broadcast rights to lose money. There has to be a profit margin built in.

Really for pre-season games, only the hardcore fans really care about tuning in. In all honestly the average Avs fan is far from a hardcore fan. Not enough care.

If there was a broadcast out there, it would find it's way through center ice or other means to fans. As you say it's about the harcore fans in pre-season. They want them in the building not at home. They're not getting many casual fans paying for tickets, and buying hot dogs, and beers, and jerseys during preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad