Proposal: Colorado - Arizona

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Arizona would probably decline. I think they want to compete this season and this makes their chances worse.

Reactions: iSophagus

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
To Colorado: Derek Stepan

To Arizona: 2019 1st, JT Compher, Vladislav Kamenev/Nicholas Meloche and Ottawa’s 2019 3rd.

Colorado trades for a #2 center who costs 6.5 for 3 more years at 28 for...

1st
Compher
Kamenev/Meloche
Ottawa 2019 3rd

IMO, thats way too much for Stepan.

Also, I don't think Arizona is looking to move Stepan.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Unless they can get a significant upgrade or until they know what they have at center in Galchenyuk, Strome, Dvorak, and Hayton, it's hard to imagine them trading Stepan. He's very well liked and worked great with Keller.

I think the Coyotes are looking for a quantity-for-quality trade themselves. They're at 50 contracts (though a couple will get sent down). They need a little wiggle room.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Doesn't make sense for Arizona. They're making moves that suggest they want to compete sooner rather then later. So they're not going to give up there #1C for a bunch of future pieces.

Also dont like the value from the Avs. Even though we get the best player we are giving up a crazy amount of futures. I'd rather hang onto them over trading for Stepan personally.

A trade both teams would be happy to decline IMO.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Have to think Arizona is trying to move the opposite direction that this takes takes them.

Value wise Arizona does it, its maybe even a little on the generous side but it pushes them further away from being a competitive club.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yeah I’d stay far away from him personally. I’d rather throw a package like that at RNH or comparable player. If Stephen was younger I’d be all for it, but Az definitely wouldn’t then.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm not sure trading our 1st like that is wise yet. Anything could happen, all it will take is a sustained injury to knock it down the totem pole. Interesting idea though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To Colorado: Derek Stepan

To Arizona: 2019 1st, JT Compher, Vladislav Kamenev/Nicholas Meloche and Ottawa’s 2019 3rd.

Not a fan of it, and it's already been thoughtfully laid out why. Plus why are you including Compher and Meloche in proposals lol?

Doesn't make sense for Arizona. They're making moves that suggest they want to compete sooner rather then later. So they're not going to give up there #1C for a bunch of future pieces.

Also dont like the value from the Avs. Even though we get the best player we are giving up a crazy amount of futures. I'd rather hang onto them over trading for Stepan personally.

A trade both teams would be happy to decline IMO.

Adding some lottery protection would fix that issue, but it still stands that Arizona is trying to come out of the basement.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I’d stay far away from him personally. I’d rather throw a package like that at RNH or comparable player. If Stephen was younger I’d be all for it, but Az definitely wouldn’t then.

Yeah RNH would work, but you know EDM just asks for Barrie every time.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
How does Stepan fit into the Avs' stated plan of "younger and faster"?
Not that I agree with the deal, but let’s not pretend that every single move the Avs made or are going to make has to fit the mood of “younger and faster.”

Does Ian Cole scream “faster” to you?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Unless Arizona can get another veteran 1/2C I don’t think they do it. Until Strome, Galchenyuk, or Dvorak can prove they are the better centre moving forward they will hold onto him.

Reactions: SniperHF

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Not that I agree with the deal, but let’s not pretend that every single move the Avs made or are going to make has to fit the mood of “younger and faster.”

If you're comparing him to Duncan Siemens who the Avs had to play in a playoff game then yes...he's absolutely faster.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

No, he's not objectively faster, but he's definitely better than some of the guys we have right now who would be competing for the 6D spot, and can PK decently well. Considering that we had Warsofsky and Siemens playing important minutes down the stretch, and guys like Timmins and Meloche are still probably a year or two away from the NHL, a short term band-aid like Cole makes sense. He was also a UFA, so we didn't give up any youth to get him.

Stepan, on the other hand, would cost us Compher, Kamanev/Meloche, our 1st this year (which could still be a lottery pick), and Ottawa's 3rd, if the proposal comes true. That's a lot of young talent going out the door for a 28 year old, with 3 years left on his contract. Then what's the plan? Would we plan on extending him into his 30s? Trade him after 2 years so we don't lose him for nothing as a UFA? Expose him in the Seattle expansion draft? I don't really like any of those options, so I'm hoping someone has a creative way in which this trade doesn't screw us in the long run.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If you're comparing him to Duncan Siemens who the Avs had to play in a playoff game then yes...he's absolutely faster.
There’s really no reason in comparing what was our 8th or 9th dman to Ian cole. Different players, different expectations. Ian cole isn’t taking Siemens’ regular spot.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No, he's not objectively faster, but he's definitely better than some of the guys we have right now who would be competing for the 6D spot, and can PK decently well. Considering that we had Warsofsky and Siemens playing important minutes down the stretch, and guys like Timmins and Meloche are still probably a year or two away from the NHL, a short term band-aid like Cole makes sense. He was also a UFA, so we didn't give up any youth to get him.

Stepan, on the other hand, would cost us Compher, Kamanev/Meloche, our 1st this year (which could still be a lottery pick), and Ottawa's 3rd, if the proposal comes true. That's a lot of young talent going out the door for a 28 year old, with 3 years left on his contract. Then what's the plan? Would we plan on extending him into his 30s? Trade him after 2 years so we don't lose him for nothing as a UFA? Expose him in the Seattle expansion draft? I don't really like any of those options, so I'm hoping someone has a creative way in which this trade doesn't screw us in the long run.
Now this I can get on board with and completely understand.

Let’s just say your younger and faster comment lacked substance. It came across as though unless those things are being met, it’s not a deal the Avs should consider, under any circumstances.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
So Arz is going to get more for Stepan now than they gave up in the first place and both teams go against what they're trying to accomplish. Props for being different but this is also bad for both sides.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
So Arz is going to get more for Stepan now than they gave up in the first place and both teams go against what they're trying to accomplish. Props for being different but this is also bad for both sides.
What's Arizona's motivation here ?
Yeah, bad for the Yotes

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
There’s really no reason in comparing what was our 8th or 9th dman to Ian cole. Different players, different expectations. Ian cole isn’t taking Siemens’ regular spot.

You're missing a very clearly tongue in cheek point about who Cole is faster than.

Make no mistake about it though, Sakic got Ian Cole because they iced both Warsofsky and Siemens in playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad